What was he thinking? Thai media pose question of driver who went the wrong way round a bend and killed a baby

webfact

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just it...he wasn't thinking. No doubt his wife caused him to lose his precious face in front of some relatives and he probably initiated a death wish just to pay her back. Thai male logic....."I'll show her...I'll have a head-on and perhaps kill me and her kid". I think the guy knew exactly what he was doing. 

Very sad for the loss of the child.

I think the root cause, is lack of law enforcement and driver education.

That coupled with virtually no presence on the highway by the Royal Thai Police, to enforce the law.

I see that the highway patrol are showing how kind and generous they are by their many posts on FB and Line. 

It's nice being kind to visitors, replacing wiper blades on trucks, repairing cars and motorcycles, and changing tyres, but don't you think that patrolling the road is their main job and they could save lives and stop terrible accidents like this by just doing their man job!

8 hours ago, LotusBoy said:

He will enter himself it to the Monk-hood, all is forgiven.

Sad that their was loss of life. Baby/Child seats, come on parents, a few hundred baht could have and would have saved your baby. Baby in the backseat safe, again, come on parents!

If the car had stayed in the left lane, and not stayed in the overtaking lane for no reason, nothing would have happend.

As has been already said above, this accident and sad death are mainly because Thais don't give a damn about the rules of driving.  He didn't care that he was driving down the road on the wrong side.  Everyone does it so what the heck?  Also, the parents in the other vehicle didn't care about the safety of the child and didn't care to purchase a car seat to protect the infant.  Sad on both accounts!

8 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I'm not sure where in the North you live but I have lived North of Chiang Mai for 6 years and see several instances of dangerous driving by Thai drivers daily perhaps I get out more than you.

I have an Anglo Saxon background and am happy to be overzealous rigid and a safe driver than Flexible and a dangerous driver

Your definition of dangerous driving instances and these instances could be highly related to culture-bias, ... as I said. You do not recognize that there are difference of cultures. In fact, as a general point, I am sure that women and men have different biases, as a general population, all things considered equal as age and culture.

The idea that you would be somehow be getting out more than I is a wild speculation and so is irrelevant. Be that as it may, there are many factors that would come into play. We would need to control the experiment, but no double blind study for me, please. 

I think the following study is timely, as I believe calls had been made or attempted (by others, if I recall) while he was driving:

Drivers find it difficult to ignore a ringing phone but do ignore the dangers, with a new study revealing almost 50 percent believe locating and answering a ringing phone is not as risky as talking and texting. Research has found locating a ringing phone, checking who's calling, and rejecting or answering the call, is the most frequent mobile phone task undertaken by drivers.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/09/170907093626.htm

He will be seriously sentenced to the limit of the law, with a hefty and dissuasive xxx THB fine!

And the Thai Police can thus concentrate on real criminals on the roads, who are the tourists and farangs without bike helmets or who left their passports in the hotel.

15 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

Why is there such a lack of mindfulness in this Buddhist nation?

Buddhism has only been around for  ~2,600+   years, a bit less in Thailand.  They are still working on the first couple items in the bullet list.

The Noble Eightfold Path
  • Right Understanding (Samma ditthi)
  • Right Thought (Samma sankappa)
  • Right Speech (Samma vaca)
  • Right Action (Samma kammanta)
  • Right Livelihood (Samma ajiva)
  • Right Effort (Samma vayama)
  • Right Mindfulness (Samma sati)
  • Right Concentration (Samma samadhi)

21 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Ok my 25 Satang's worth.  Blame the fish , not the brakes this time. Do any drivers here put their hands up and say " Yep all my fault , my bad ? "

As for wifey saying he knows the roads , a while back going in to Huai Khrai in the far north up here I was driving round a right hander just before the town and an E - tan ( iron buffalo ) was plodding down the fast lane and coming towards me , I had just overtaken a big bus , if the wife was driving she would of panicked. I had 2 choices , jam on the brakes ( they work in my car ) but likely run into the e-tan or pull in front of the bus as just enough room , I think the bus driver saw the dilema as no horn blasted .   Point being I could of been dead , the wife and some on the bus .  The driver of the e- tan knew where he was going and likely still drives that way as quicker than doing a U turn up the road .  We hear of accidents every day , for every one there must be 10 very near misses.

Why would you risk lives by overtaking on a bend when you obviously couldn't see far enough ahead?

9 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Your definition of dangerous driving instances and these instances could be highly related to culture-bias, ... as I said. You do not recognize that there are difference of cultures. In fact, as a general point, I am sure that women and men have different biases, as a general population, all things considered equal as age and culture.

The idea that you would be somehow be getting out more than I is a wild speculation and so is irrelevant. Be that as it may, there are many factors that would come into play. We would need to control the experiment, but no double blind study for me, please. 

Continue to live in a fools paradise I will continue to recognize dangerous driving for what it is is which then allows me to take a proactive approach and try to avoid being killed by these people

As far as culture-bias is concerned my Thai wife holds both Thai and Australia driving licenses and spent several years living and driving in Australia and is the first to admit that the lack of driver training and law enforcement is a major problem here, she is probably more critical of the driving standard than I am.

I don't think there is too much culture bias there and for the record she is a very Nationalistic  Thai person

On 08/09/2017 at 5:14 AM, lamyai3 said:

Sounds like he was apoplectic with rage after losing face. Probably less fit to drive in that condition than even after a couple of bottles of Hong Thong. 

Yes.  Thai loss of face strikes again.  They are so much discouraged from ever showing any form or degree of anger that when it gets out it is uncontrollable,

11 hours ago, silent said:

Obviously too deep 

Yeah, similar to KE = MV**2 != Karma.

I'd say KE is the instrument or manifestation of Karma, but maybe that's just me. Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by MaxYakov

3 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Yeah, similar to KE = MV**2 != Karma.

I'd say KE is the instrument or manifestation of Karma, but maybe that's just me. Thanks for the feedback!

Where in  in Christ did KE come into play? My original was along the lines of action vs. reaction and the rule of Buddhism that God'll get you for that.

As always, I'm impressed with another intelligent equation.

39 minutes ago, silent said:

Where in  in Christ did KE come into play? My original was along the lines of action vs. reaction and the rule of Buddhism that God'll get you for that.

As always, I'm impressed with another intelligent equation.

On 9/8/2017 at 9:52 AM, MaxYakov said:

Laws of Physics consequences still apply (even in Thailand).

You do remember your original reply to this, right? The formula for kinetic energy (KE) is a "Law of Physics', yes?

As far as your assertion that "the rule of Buddhism that God'll get you for that" goes ... perhaps you should do a little research on Buddhism. Maybe start with this article: "The Role of Gods and Deities in Buddhism" - ThoughtCo?

A critical quote from the, above linked, article:

"The creation of phenomena is taken care of by a kind of natural law called Dependent Origination. The consequences of our actions are accounted for by karma, which in Buddhism is also a kind of natural law that doesn't require a supernatural cosmic judge."

(Emphasis is mine - the long one at the end. I really like the "kind of natural law" description of karma. Maybe there's a "kind of formula" to describe it? Or are we in the world of magic amulets?)

Note: I typically avoid (like the plague) researching or even thinking about Buddhism. I let other people do that so I don't have to. However, for you, in this case I made an exception to this policy and I learned something as well.

Edited by MaxYakov

There is zero excuse for driving on the wrong carriageway of a dual carriageway road. No matter how you spin it, plain utter stupidity. As stated , the driver according to his wife knew the roads well.  So stupid is as stupid does, a child (baby ) has died due possible as previously mentioned rage due to loss of face.

Well he has lost a lot of face now and I suspect his freedom. Som nan na, I think it is.

Sorry for the parents of the baby and RIP young person.

56 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

You do remember your original reply to this, right? The formula for kinetic energy (KE) is a "Law of Physics', yes?

As far as your assertion that "the rule of Buddhism that God'll get you for that" goes ... perhaps you should do a little research on Buddhism. Maybe start with this article: "The Role of Gods and Deities in Buddhism" - ThoughtCo?

A critical quote from the, above linked, article:

"The creation of phenomena is taken care of by a kind of natural law called Dependent Origination. The consequences of our actions are accounted for by karma, which in Buddhism is also a kind of natural law that doesn't require a supernatural cosmic judge."

(Emphasis is mine - the long one at the end. I really like the "kind of natural law" description of karma. Maybe there's a "kind of formula" to describe it? Or are we in the world of magic amulets?)

Note: I typically avoid (like the plague) researching or even thinking about Buddhism. I let other people do that so I don't have to. However, for you, in this case I made an exception to this policy and I learned something as well.

If you're going to pretend to be smarter by alleging to quote where I started an episode of duelling banjos with an ill equipped opponent, at least get that right and back up a bit to what I'll explain in clearer English. It doesn't matter how many laws there are if there aren't consequences for breaking them.

Feel free to waste more energy on the keyboard, study religions or maybe a guy named Pavlov that proved something about dog nature. 

16 minutes ago, silent said:

If you're going to pretend to be smarter by alleging to quote where I started an episode of duelling banjos with an ill equipped opponent, at least get that right and back up a bit to what I'll explain in clearer English. It doesn't matter how many laws there are if there aren't consequences for breaking them.

Feel free to waste more energy on the keyboard, study religions or maybe a guy named Pavlov that proved something about dog nature. 

If there "aren't consequences for breaking them" then are they really laws? For example, being so off-topic in this thread as we are without having the whole mess deleted. :biggrin:

On 9/8/2017 at 10:22 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

I read somewhere that driving with headlines on during the day is illegal in Thailand (why? never mind!). So even new cars would have that either not fitted or disabled. The same way that many buses and taxis disable seat belts by tying them up. The Thai attitude seems to be that life would be boring if was safe all the time.

Not true (anymore at least; what it was like 15-20 years ago I don't know).

All new motorcycles and many new cars are sold with daytime running lights and can't be turned off unless they are disconnected or an on/off switch is installed. I own a car and motorcycle that both have daytime running lights. An increasing percentage of vehicles on Thai roads have their lights permanently "on", especially motorcycles built in the last 10 years but also cars, especially top model sedans, pickups and SUVs.

In Cambodia it's illegal for a motorcycle to have daytime running lights and police will fine offenders. Strangely, there is no law that makes it illegal to not turn on your headlights at night. No problems for cars with daytime running lights though.

2 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

There is zero excuse for driving on the wrong carriageway of a dual carriageway road. No matter how you spin it, plain utter stupidity. As stated , the driver according to his wife knew the roads well.  So stupid is as stupid does, a child (baby ) has died due possible as previously mentioned rage due to loss of face.

Well he has lost a lot of face now and I suspect his freedom. Som nan na, I think it is.

Sorry for the parents of the baby and RIP young person.

Just a few days ago I saw an idiot motorcyclist driving on the shoulder on the wrong side of a two-way, single carriageway road. The stupidity never ends it seems...

5 hours ago, kwak250 said:

I remember many years ago backpacking through different countries and when I got to India I could not believe how crazy and dangerous the driving was.

A few months later when I travelled in Thailand I realised how much worse driving can get.

I dunno, I went on two one week long business trips to India a few years ago and was absolutely shocked by the standard of the driving over there, which I found much worse than even in Thailand where people at least consider roads to be places only for vehicular traffic.

Motorcyclists revving their engines and driving at breakneck speed down an alley in Kolkata (Calcutta) while terrified onlookers dove out of the way, the blind passing/overtaking, including that of our own driver constantly overtaking other vehicles without regard to whether or not there was an oncoming vehicle or not, drivers driving on the wrong side of the road, cows everywhere, people crossing the road oblivious to traffic, the strange mix of vehicles, people and animals on every road...

Cambodia is also crazy but in a different way - blind overtaking but rather than doing so at breakneck speed like in India or Thailand, Cambodian drivers are like turtles - driving at 40km/h and then they overtake trucks at 41km/h, rather than speeding up and quickly overtaking they seem to take their time, forcing oncoming vehicles off the road.

Edited by jimster

1 hour ago, jimster said:

Just a few days ago I saw an idiot motorcyclist driving on the shoulder on the wrong side of a two-way, single carriageway road. The stupidity never ends it seems...

Was there a median? It may have seemed stupid. He could have even been superstitious about the other side of the road. He was on the shoulder probably because he knew he was opposing traffic. Maybe he/she was just drunk and thought he was in a drive-right-side country, but would be safer on the shoulder? :biggrin:

I often prefer to cycle facing traffic (as an pedestrian should) by reversing to be able to react quickly (or in advance) to traffic rather than have something run me down from behind (like large lorries and buses that kill cyclists rather regularly - an Australian cyclist was recently killed in Ayutthaya when he connected with a motorbike - probably from behind or the side).

Even doing that I have to be concerned about a motorbike doing a similar reversal and running me down. Which is why I always cycle with at least one mounted mirror. The trick, when reversing, is to remember to check the mirror often and better to have a left-side mirror as well as the usual right-side mirror.

Edited by MaxYakov