SURVEY: Do you plan on staying in Thailand permanently?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you plan to remain in Thailand permanently?  

448 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/10/2017 at 8:43 AM, cyberfarang said:

Not belittling, just being realistic. You are under 50 so you won`t be eligible for a retirement visa, your only options is to either marry your Thai girlfriend and get a married to a Thai spouse visa or as a director of a company or an employee under the Thai rules for foreigners working in Thailand.

And what happens if the relationship with your girlfriend does not work out and she won`t marry you, how do you intend to stay in Thailand? What type of work does she expect to obtain in Thailand? There are millions of Thai women in Thailand who have university degrees and can`t find decent paying jobs. Can you guarantee your passive income every month for the next 40 years?  How much do you think the cost of living will be in Thailand in the next 20 years?

Not being sarcastic or flaming, it`s as I said; what can go wrong and I`ve heard all this before? Good luck.

Key to that take your yearly income and you have to put 2.5-3% of it back into your investment pot to hedge against inflation. Thus you can yearly increase your monthly draw without inflation damaging your pot.

Low fee Vanguard S&P 500 fund is Warren Buffets suggestion (it's in his will to tell his wife what to do if he dies).

It's not rocket science - but your pot has to be big enough at start- you never excess draw against it, and you need to come up with a sensible 'death' date.

Also your budget shouldn't be what you spend each month. It's not a target it's a maximum, try to have cheaper months to build reserves.

8 minutes ago, Naam said:

just because you were (allegedly) conned out of your life savings you have no right at all to judge a whole country, its population and least not least some of us foreigners who feel comfortable in Thailand with a barrage of derogatory comments. i took some time to read the majority of your two year ravings and rantings (most of them ridiculous generalisations without mentioning any facts) and decided to report your violations forum rule #11 in case there's is a single additional comment of the afore-mentioned kind.

people like you make me sick!

kotz.gif

Yes, I do not get it either.  What a sad way to live life with such negativity and hate.  Gosh, I am so happy I do not feel that way.  I think Thailand is great I love it...

Quite surprising to read here that 100'000 THB (roughly US$ 3000,--) is not enough for a month's expense in Thailand?!!??....Did I miss something?

if you own property here and thus no rent, have paid off your medical insurances and other bills back home and are left with 3000,-- US$ (spending money)/month, I would say even back in Europe it can give you quite a trip!!!

2 minutes ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

I like the weather, food, girls, pace of life, cost, BTS, expat community, condo I live in, smiles I get for no reason. 

Other thsn that, real hell hole

oh, and before this I lived in Paris, San Francisco and Osaka. 

Bangkok better by a mile 

You are right on my friend.... Great post!!

I am currently serving 'time' back in Aust while qualifying for the age pension that I worked and paid taxes for over 40 years to get.  The reason I voted No, is because even after we move back to Thailand once I get the pension, the long term plan is to go back 'home' once I am very old/sick (late 80s? 90s?).

The reality is that once everyone gets to a certain age, they will need ongoing and constant medical care and treatments. And the reality of the quality, availability and costs of that in Thailand, just do not compare with the available quality and free medical support services available back home. Therefore, I do plan to go back, but only once I have hit a certain age and/or reach a medical situation.  Plan being the operative word :)

Meanwhile I just gotta add to the 'debate' about whether living in Thailand is better than at home. IMO Thailand is much better in many ways, and worse in a few. Certainly here at home it is safer to drive, and I ride my motorbike here.  But I have been back less than a year, and I have already copped 3 speeding fines - 1km over, 4 km over, and 7 km over - over $500 AUD and 5 points.

Meanwhile at a local garage two blokes had an argument and one get into his truck and rammed it into the other guy's car (with him in it) and then took off. He got a $600 fine - including court costs (and had to pay for the repairs). It is all wrong here.  Someone tries to hurt or kill someone but it cant be proven in court (he plead guilty to deliberate damage), but I drive a few kms over an arbitrary number on a vacant road and I cop severe fines and I cant argue or plead anything. So yes it is safer here, but driving here is a constant fight to watch the speedo like a hawk and keep an eye out for cops and cameras - it is not fun at all - it is safe, but it is oppressive.  

And IMO that is the major difference between living at home and in Thailand across so many things. Here at home everything is controlled and everyone is oppressed and stressed out. Thailand is fun and everyone can do what they want, without too much 'interference' in their lives.  I cant wait to get back - if they gave me the pension tomorrow, we would be moving back this year for sure. But, I do intend to come back for the 'end game', when like my Mother and Father and all very old people, I will be having regular medical tests and scans, and taking medications every day. 

3 speeding fines - 1km over, 4 km over, and 7 km over - over $500 AUD and 5 points

Was that over and above the 10% you get so 40 would be 45 for a nick which is fair enough keep your eye on the speedo mate Aus ain't Thailand you know road rules get enforced like most other countries.

One shock you will get is when illness does start it never seems to stop.

Keep well and stay healthy.

2 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Actually in the past I would agree. 

Now I've adapted and find it frustrating driving in the West!

Now enjoy coming home to Bangkok and getting back behind the wheel. It's like a video game. 

I have driven all over the world and for over ten years in Thailand; Thailand ranks right up there with the worst. Never have liked someone trying to run me off the road because their lane was blocked and they didn't want to slow or stop.

16 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I have driven all over the world and for over ten years in Thailand; Thailand ranks right up there with the worst. Never have liked someone trying to run me off the road because their lane was blocked and they didn't want to slow or stop.

Ever try driving in Egypt?

24 minutes ago, smotherb said:

See when I see a Thai in front of me in the next lane and I know it is blocked I plan ahead. 

Speed up

hold your ground

Slow down

not sure how I decide but I think it's a bit

bus - slow down they don't give a fck 

hi so - hold your ground - they try to intimidate but I'm crazier than most 

Issan pick up - speed up and smile while passing. 

Oh, and ignore motorbikes. They are not human and will yield or die.  

All good

9 hours ago, mogandave said:

When I went to Engineering school at Cal Poly there were a number of Thai students and while they struggled some with the language, they received no special treatment and they seemed to do well. Of course that was 25 years ago, perhaps the Thai educational has deteriorated significantly since then.

Fair enough.  But why were they at Cal Poly?   Could be a lot of reasons but many Thais do value the foreign degree over a local one for reasons beyond face and language acquisition.

Something that supports your point: I had a friend who studied abroad for a year during high school.  She told me that high school in the States was easier than the high school she attended in Thailand.  I was surprised to hear that, even though I knew she went to some sort of 'model' high school in Thailand. 

Quite honestly I don't see evidence of a quality education system in most Thais I meet, particularly those who manage to go on to white collar or professional jobs.  Do you?

In terms of the friend above who thought US high school was easy -  when I looked at her pharmacy coursework at 'Big Name Thai University', it seemed much less comprehensive than what I had to do in college.  Sort of like 'Survey of Organic Chemistry' rather than taking Orgo itself.

19 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I thought Cairo was much worse than Bangkok. Absolutely amazing.

A long time ago now but i remember they had a roundabout near the Cairo museum with what seemed like 5 lanes of traffic and no markings on the road 

42 minutes ago, Naam said:

tsk... tsk... tsk... what a lovely personal message i got :laugh:

You need to make allowances for the mentally challenged, they can't really help themselves. However this cretin should be given the boot - pronto. 

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

Saudi? Kuwait? Libya? Burma?....To name a few ....Thailand is not bad really...

1 hour ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

See when I see a Thai in front of me in the next lane and I know it is blocked I plan ahead. 

Speed up

hold your ground

Slow down

not sure how I decide but I think it's a bit

bus - slow down they don't give a fck 

hi so - hold your ground - they try to intimidate but I'm crazier than most 

Issan pick up - speed up and smile while passing. 

Oh, and ignore motorbikes. They are not human and will yield or die.  

All good

I should have clarified it; I ride motorcycles and drive cars, but I specifically dislike those driving oncoming vehicles who are trying to pass a slow or stopped vehicle in their lane. Their only thought seems to be to take over your lane because they just do not want to slow or stop and think everyone else should stop for them.

I have just come back to home country for selling my house and after 20 years in Thailand I will return to Thailand without a home in Europe and hope to continue to live in Thailand to the end, but plan to stay a month or so in home country annually as long as I at all feel for travel.:smile:

Edited by Felt 35

I'm 36, and been a thailand elite member for 6 months now, been coming on and off to BBK for the past 5 years.

Cost of living is cheaper than back home, I bought a car and will be renting as long as I'm here.

I have a good portfolio and will be living off about 100k a month (including rent), just like I would back home.

I would like to stay here for the next 20 years, if it doesn't work out its very easy for me to pick up and move else where

Have to get out of the third world one day. 

Never thought I would say it when I came here but its going down hill here fast. 

Have a condo here will probably just keep it for holidays. 

Edited by wow64

Have to get out of the third world one day. 

Never thought I would say it when I came here but its going down hill here fast. 

Have a condo here will probably just keep it for holidays. 
Please share the name of the eutopia that is your nanny state and is going "uphill" .?

And in which way.

Grass is Greener syndrome is pretty big over here. End of the day the change will be exciting but your still taking you with you and the feelings of dispair will resurface eventually where ever you are [emoji22]

8 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Please share the name of the eutopia that is your nanny state and is going "uphill" .?

And in which way.

Grass is Greener syndrome is pretty big over here. End of the day the change will be exciting but your still taking you with you and the feelings of dispair will resurface eventually where ever you are emoji22.png

If I shared then its not a secret and in 6 months it will be filled with ladyboy loving sexpats. 

Like I said .. have a condo here and many other things that are keeping me might have to keep dreaming about the grass.

Fair enough.  But why were they at Cal Poly?   Could be a lot of reasons but many Thais do value the foreign degree over a local one for reasons beyond face and language acquisition.

Something that supports your point: I had a friend who studied abroad for a year during high school.  She told me that high school in the States was easier than the high school she attended in Thailand.  I was surprised to hear that, even though I knew she went to some sort of 'model' high school in Thailand. 

Quite honestly I don't see evidence of a quality education system in most Thais I meet, particularly those who manage to go on to white collar or professional jobs.  Do you?

In terms of the friend above who thought US high school was easy -  when I looked at her pharmacy coursework at 'Big Name Thai University', it seemed much less comprehensive than what I had to do in college.  Sort of like 'Survey of Organic Chemistry' rather than taking Orgo itself.

Why would someone in CA go to MA for an education?

Some of the best jobs in Thailand are with US companies.

Having worked with a lot of engineers, I think an engineering education from the US is generally better than an engineering education in Thailand.

I think language is the single biggest issue in Thai education.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Why would someone in CA go to MA for an education?

Some of the best jobs in Thailand are with US companies.

Having worked with a lot of engineers, I think an engineering education from the US is generally better than an engineering education in Thailand.

I think language is the single biggest issue in Thai education.

And the Thai students least interested in studying English (other than the soft majors like dance / music etc) are the engineering students, possibly because they consider themselves as gods gift to the world.