SURVEY: Do you plan on staying in Thailand permanently?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you plan to remain in Thailand permanently?  

448 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thailand would make life a whole lot simpler for many long stayers if they would simply make one small change to property ownership laws. If married to Thai citizen, allow a foreigner to own 1 house and land it sits on as long as it remains your personal residence. No harm would come to the country that way and then we could feel a bit more secure in our plans here.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, funandsuninbangkok said:

Great place / nice people. What's not to like?

Rampant corruption, tyrannical leader & government, overt racism, home to the largest assortment of criminals, scam artists, conmen and other low-life scum on the planet, total lack of judicial and legal system, world's worst motorists for starters .......shall I go on?

Edited by gios50hk

i am 66yrs old, been coming,increasingly regularly to thailand,over past 11yrs. bought condo 2yrs ago,just got my retirement visa...at the moment, i intend to stay forever ?? play it by ear..

i still have property and investment income and family in nz---so can return at any time.

i have sufficient funds to travel anywhere, if i feel like it- and even pay for healthcare when/if i become less mobile {cant do that in nz}...better climate here,friendly happy people, no aggro,  cheap cost of living..can get beautiful female company,whenever i want--change it daily,if they bore me.

there is plenty to see and do in pattayav area.

what more could i ask for ???   good health of coarse-im doing good so far..

pattaya  is heaven.....

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

At the mercy of the plummeting £ rate hopefully here.

It will bottom out at 39/40 Baht, stay there for 5 years, then gradually return to Pre-Brexit value of  55 Baht over the following 10 years, as stability is finally achieved in the UK.  The only thing that could possibly alter this scenario is a Thai crash, which seems unlikely. Thanks for that Brexiteers. 

13 minutes ago, gios50hk said:

Rampant corruption, tyrannical leader & government, overt racism, home to the largest assortment of criminals, scam artists, conmen and other low-life scum on the planet, total lack of judicial and legal system, world's worst motorists for starters .......shall I go on?

just give me a short break till i finished with my roaring laughter :laugh:

13 minutes ago, gios50hk said:

Yes...but this thread is about Thailand not America !

20 minutes ago, gios50hk said:

so that's a stay then?

Threads of this type appear regularly and my opinion is always the same.

Of course , not all of as are the same, we all have different situations and risk tolerance levels, but one thing for sure, if we are lucky, we will all get old, with all the associated problems of old age.

IMO such age related problems are best resolved back home where we all have a support system, and as such, even though I hope for the best and wish I would never have to return, after I retire here full time, I am prepared for the worst , and will always maintain a home there and my support ties.

Simply put, I hope for the best but  prepare for the worst.

After I pass , my wife can do what she wants with our US assets, but I hope she heeds my advice and also maintain such assets, because who knows what the future will bring . 

As much as I love Thailand, situations are way to unstable here for me  to bet my,  and my loved ones life on it.

1 hour ago, luk AJ said:

I did. In my home country, if you have (keep) assets, you are taxable. I sold everything 20y ago no regrets. But if I would like to return, I always could, I don't see why having assets or not in your home country makes a difference.

bingo! the majority of your assets should be neither in your home country nor in Thailand but in a clear cut jurisdiction where the taxman doesn't bother you.

I have lived in Chiang Mai for a number of years and have no intentions of living anywhere else. But I know in Chiang Mai as regarding expats, I am an exception to the rule, many either split their time between Chiang Mai and somewhere else or stay for a while and then move on. Quite a lot come here believing its going to be cheap but after a couple of years it becomes a financial struggle for them and have to leave.

My biggest concern that if I should get ill, because no longer being eligible for the National Health Service in the UK, and being too old to obtain medical insurance I would be at the tender mercies of the hospitals here whereas the sky`s the limit as far as medical bills are concerned. But this is a risk for those who decide to remain here have to take.

My story. I'm 39 soon to be 40. Ive been visiting/residing in Thailand on and of for 5 years and I will relocate permanently as of next year. 

I have absolutely no intention of returning to Australia. I'm sick of the rat race and cost of living, not to mention the awful attitudes that seem to permeate every level of society there now. 

I'll be selling up my property on leaving. I have  a healthy share portfolio that delivers a decent salary and I have the rest in cash so I won't be stuck anywhere due to market crashes, wars or ForEx issues. 

One of the posters made mention of poor attitudes, no respect and not being able to take criticism. I don't know who you spend your time around but I don't have these problems and I'd take a thai attitude over most Australian attitudes any day of the week.

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My plan is to wait until I get an early pension at 55, and then potentially move from my crappy old two bed ex-council house in the UK south to a 4 bed up north near my daughter and grandson. The difference in value is enough to fund the visa savings requirements for wife and child - and the second one after 2 year if we live reasonably and use weekly pension.

NO way in hell will I let our daughter grow up here.

I think this poll is misleading as it does not reveal if you are 'having' to stay, or have nothing to go back to - stupidly selling all your assets in your home country to move to a place you could one day be kicked out of or have to leave as requirements upgraded.

Take a poll - who has sold all their assets in home country to live here - and who cannot return because of this and what you would do if you cannot go home or live here !.  

Sold all. But I can afford to buy it all again if I needed to.

Can't stand it here any longer (after nearly 14 years here and another 5 years in other SEA countries ). Will be back in Oz in the very near future. Might come back for a short holiday with the wife every couple of years but not in any hurry to. Thank god I didn't burn my bridges financially. Actually, it was just common sense, earning a high salary while I was here and good planning.

Edited by Dodgydownunder

10 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Judging by that post you are going to get a big shock when you are not on holiday anymore and when shit hits the fan here.

:hit-the-fan:

Interesting that there are still people thinking Thailand is the same great place it was 15-30 years ago...

I first started visiting Thailand nearly 25 years ago - and loved it. Warm friendly people, beautiful tropical islands, cheap food and accommodation etc. But Thailand today is completely different. It is without doubt the most racist country I have even lived in, has levels of crime and corruption that are virtually off the scale (Transparency International recently named Phuket as 'the most corrupt city in Asia') and practically everyone you come into contact with is a scam artist, con-man, bull-shitter or other assorted low-life scum. (not surprisingly, the only people who believe Thailand is 'great' probably fall into this latter category!)

Edited by gios50hk

31 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Of course , not all of as are the same, we all have different situations and risk tolerance levels, but one thing for sure, if we are lucky, we will all get old, with all the associated problems of old age.

IMO such age related problems are best resolved back home where we all have a support system, and as such, even though I hope for the best and wish I would never have to return, after I retire here full time, I am prepared for the worst , and will always maintain a home there and my support ties.

After I pass , my wife can do what she wants with our US assets, but I hope she heeds my advice and also maintain such assets, because who knows what the future will bring . 

As much as I love Thailand, situations are way to unstable here for me  to bet my,  and my loved ones life on it.

It appears that the great silent majority of Thai Visa have bet on it as the 72% stay above seems to indicate.  Wow 72% higher that I would have guessed reading all of the carping about Thailand here.  Nice to see, for the most part people are pleased enough to stay even with all the little problems. 

15 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

My story. I'm 39 soon to be 40. Ive been visiting/residing in Thailand on and of for 5 years and I will relocate permanently as of next year. 

I have absolutely no intention of returning to Australia. I'm sick of the rat race and cost of living, not to mention the awful attitudes that seem to permeate every level of society there now. 

I'll be selling up my property on leaving. I have  a healthy share portfolio that delivers a decent salary and I have the rest in cash so I won't be stuck anywhere due to market crashes, wars or ForEx issues. 

One of the posters made mention of poor attitudes, no respect and not being able to take criticism. I don't know who you spend your time around but I don't have these problems and I'd take a thai attitude over most Australian attitudes any day of the week.

Another dreamer. So you believe that you`ll have enough money and income to last you for the remainder of your life in Thailand that could be another 40 years plus. You`re have enough money to cover you for health problems, to set up home here, buy a vehicle and maybe support a wife and family if you meet anyone?

I`ve known many that thought the same way you do. What could possibly go wrong?

4 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Another dreamer. So you believe that you`ll have enough money and income to last you for the remainder of your life in Thailand that could be another 40 years plus. You`re have enough money to cover you for health problems, to set up home here, buy a vehicle and maybe support a wife and family if you meet anyone?

I`ve known many that thought the same way you do. What could possibly go wrong?

Another pessimist that can't believe someone else has the ability to do something they can't.

I 100% guarantee I have enough assets and liquid cash to last me a lifetime in Thailand. I haven't had to work for 3 years now living in Australia and I could quite easily afford to continue my life here in the same fashion. I have a passive income of 100K฿ Per month now, enough cash to live on that budget for 20+ years and this is without including the sale of my inner city Melbourne home.

Obviously health insurance and any unexpected costs will be no issue. 

I have a university educated thai girlfriend already here in Australia who will be working on our return so that'll lesson the budget pressure, if you could call it that, even further. Do I need to go further?

In future maybe make a polite enquiry of someone rather than trying to belittle them straight off the bat?

My plan is to stay permanently, however, as HOAX says above it is rather dependant on the political situation and just how welcoming the Kingdom is likely to be, I only rent my house and have sufficient funds here and at home, so if it were to change dramatically then I would be able to up sticks and move across the border to a more visitor friendly country fairly swiftly.

42 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

You are never permanent here unless you are a citizen with a Thai passport.

Sorry to break it to you.

If you are on any visa other than a tourist visa you are a "temporary visitor for purposes other than tourism".

Even Permanent Residency is misleading as it is actually temporary and requires renewal.

Don't get too comfy.

Especially when the local bigwigs (not talking about the toothless noodle vendors in the village) don't want you here. 

:welcomeani:

This is constantly regurgitated whether this subject comes up. Permanence is lasting or intending to last indefinitely, I personally couldn't think of a better word to describe a large number of expats 'residency' in Thailand.

Has the legislation ever been changed where every foreigner on an extension (edit) has had their permission to stay pulled on a whim by the authorities like you are stating is possible?

I'll get comfortable and take my chances if it's ok with you.

Edited by MadMuhammad

57 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I see that  Swissbie reacted with confusion to my above reply and I was wondering where the confusion lays.

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

I have lived in Chiang Mai for a number of years and have no intentions of living anywhere else. But I know in Chiang Mai as regarding expats, I am an exception to the rule, many either split their time between Chiang Mai and somewhere else or stay for a while and then move on. Quite a lot come here believing its going to be cheap but after a couple of years it becomes a financial struggle for them and have to leave.

My biggest concern that if I should get ill, because no longer being eligible for the National Health Service in the UK, and being too old to obtain medical insurance I would be at the tender mercies of the hospitals here whereas the sky`s the limit as far as medical bills are concerned. But this is a risk for those who decide to remain here have to take.

Agreed.  It is amazing that the UK makes me pay exactly the same amount of tax on my total income as I would living in the UK and yet limits my pension to the level at which it started 11 years ago, while also denying me the right to any UK benefits, including access to the NHS unless I can prove that my return to the UK is permanent.

Well, perhaps, not so amazing after all, as the UK Government ceases to care about people (like me), who were born and lived and worked in the UK all their lives up to retirement age, as soon as they leave the UK, while of course still demanding the usual tax payments. By all accounts, even the British Embassy  does very little to assist British citizens abroad, other than by dealing with paperwork in return for quite high fees. 

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Judging by that post you are going to get a big shock when you are not on holiday anymore and when shit hits the fan here.

:hit-the-fan:

Interesting that there are still people thinking Thailand is the same great place it was 15-30 years ago...

i find it interesting that people exist who do not enjoy living in Thailand. during my first stay 44 years ago i thought Thailand was a great place. thought th same 30 and 20 years ago. and now, living here since nearly 13 years i think Thailand is the greatest place to stay.

oh... before i forget it... eat your heart out Father! :cheesy:

12 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I see that  Swissbie reacted with confusion to my above reply and I was wondering where the confusion lays.

Yeah, ok, I'm somewhat confused about the "age related problems are best resolved back home". Fairly good doctors and hospitals here, age related problems like rheumatism or arthritis are much easier dealt with in warm/hot climate - and, besides, I couldn't afford a decent health insurance in my home country anymore (and no, i'm well funded here, no financal problems..).

Given the Brexit nuts and the Trump nuts and the Korean situation I feel safer in Thailand and have for the past 20 years.  I'm only 72 and have enough to live here comfortably and will continue to do so. I like skinny women/or reasonable facsimile who shower four times a day and I feel very much at home here. 

I hear you, but as a Norwegian the situation is a lot more stable and secure in Norway than it is in Thailand. But there are plenty of negatives over there and many positives here, hence why I've been here for 7 years. Lets hope I'm wrong and things get better for foreigners, otherwise I feel it's too risky investing any significant money here. Its just too unstable and the xenophobia in the Thai gov't isn't exactly helping.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

24 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

Another pessimist that can't believe someone else has the ability to do something they can't.

I 100% guarantee I have enough assets and liquid cash to last me a lifetime in Thailand. I haven't had to work for 3 years now living in Australia and I could quite easily afford to continue my life here in the same fashion. I have a passive income of 100K฿ Per month now, enough cash to live on that budget for 20+ years and this is without including the sale of my inner city Melbourne home.

Obviously health insurance and any unexpected costs will be no issue. 

I have a university educated thai girlfriend already here in Australia who will be working on our return so that'll lesson the budget pressure, if you could call it that, even further. Do I need to go further?

In future maybe make a polite enquiry of someone rather than trying to belittle them straight off the bat?

Not belittling, just being realistic. You are under 50 so you won`t be eligible for a retirement visa, your only options is to either marry your Thai girlfriend and get a married to a Thai spouse visa or as a director of a company or an employee under the Thai rules for foreigners working in Thailand.

And what happens if the relationship with your girlfriend does not work out and she won`t marry you, how do you intend to stay in Thailand? What type of work does she expect to obtain in Thailand? There are millions of Thai women in Thailand who have university degrees and can`t find decent paying jobs. Can you guarantee your passive income every month for the next 40 years?  How much do you think the cost of living will be in Thailand in the next 20 years?

Not being sarcastic or flaming, it`s as I said; what can go wrong and I`ve heard all this before? Good luck.

48 minutes ago, killala said:

A wise man once told us "only invest in Thailand as much as you can afford to walk away from" , well, there wouldn't be too many that can afford to walk away from any amount but the general idea is sound. 

it was not a wise but an utmost ignorant man without any idea about investments because the alpha and omega about any investment anywhere is "don't invest more than you can afford to lose!"