Russian tourist falls to her death after night out at Walking Street

webfact

Russian tourist falls to her death after night out at Walking Street

X2.jpg

Image: Facebook

PATTAYA: -- Mystery surrounds the death of a 28 year old Russian tourist found dead in Soi Bua Khao, central Pattaya this morning.

Local police chief Apichai Krobpetch led Sawang Boriboon medics to the area of a hotel where they found the body of Ekaterina Butakova.

The Russian was staying with a female compatriot at the hotel that was not named. They were staying in Room 617 on the sixth floor.

Police found a shoe belonging to the victim on the balcony.

Both women had been out to Walking Street. The victim's friend had come back first.

She was unable to shed any light on the incident.

The body was sent for autopsy. Police said that she may have tripped or decided to jump, reported the "We Love Pattaya" page on Facebook.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-11

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, bushdoctor said:

Since one story buildings are not going to happen maybe people should stop being reckless and start being more careful. 

True, but improved building codes and enforcement of the codes, may go a long way to protect people from some of these incidents.... and this is 100% acheivable.

29 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Better change the law in Pattaya and construct hotels with only 1 floor above ground level!!!!!

RIP to the poor girl....

Balconies with Dwarf proof height of the railing. With glass windows with warning signs in red and yellow on them?              Perhaps its because there is no Thai Visa Forum in other countries but it seems to me, anecdotally at least, there are a very high proportion of these deaths in for example Pattya and say, Bangkok.     Is this a Thai thing? Or is it common elsewhere? Do any of you balcony experts know the answer to this?

3 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Police said that she may have tripped or decided to jump.

Of course, what else could it have been? Case closed.

Can we have pushed? Yes decided to jump. Oh well. My God, the profundity of it all. 

Poor woman. 

2 minutes ago, Maggusoil said:

Balconies with Dwarf proof height of the railing. With glass windows with warning signs in red and yellow on them?              Perhaps its because there is no Thai Visa Forum in other countries but it seems to me, anecdotally at least, there are a very high proportion of these deaths in for example Pattya and say, Bangkok.     Is this a Thai thing? Or is it common elsewhere? Do any of you balcony experts know the answer to this?

IMHO I am tempted to say that the heigh of the railings cater the Thai anatomy and height, and are maybe not adapted to western anatomy and taller builds as much for men as for western females.

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

Better change the law in Pattaya and construct hotels with only 1 floor above ground level!!!!!

RIP to the poor girl....

Condolences to her family.

As I read the headline and thinking 'oh no, not again', I'm wondering why with the frequency of these events of falling, that balconies aren't modified to make it more difficult to have an accident (an actual or a postured one).

37 minutes ago, Maggusoil said:

Difficult to know about 'elsewhere' as many countries do not allow probably suicidal deaths to be broadcasted like they are in Thailand.

42 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

IMHO I am tempted to say that the heigh of the railings cater the Thai anatomy and height, and are maybe not adapted to western anatomy and taller builds as much for men as for western females.

Australian/NZ standards:

The height of a Balustrade or Barrier must not be less than:

• 1m above the floor of any access path, balcony, landing where it is not bounded by a wall and its level above the surface is 1m or more than 4m where a person is able to fall through an open window
  • 865mm above the floor of a landing to a stair or ramp where the balustrade or other barrier is provided along the inside edge of the landing and is not more than 500mm long.>

11 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

Difficult to know about 'elsewhere' as many countries do not allow probably suicidal deaths to be broadcasted like they are in Thailand.

The place where I stay (rental) has a balcony with railings that come to about half way up my thigh.  If I were to step backwards into it (sober or not) I would find myself on the road for sure.  I'd prefer it to be mid torso height since it would not really obstruct the view much, and be one less very obvious way to screw up.

14 minutes ago, masuk said:

Australian/NZ standards:

The height of a Balustrade or Barrier must not be less than:

• 1m above the floor of any access path, balcony, landing where it is not bounded by a wall and its level above the surface is 1m or more than 4m where a person is able to fall through an open window
  • 865mm above the floor of a landing to a stair or ramp where the balustrade or other barrier is provided along the inside edge of the landing and is not more than 500mm long.>

If the balcony does not provide access to a legitimate fire or emergency escape have it barred to at least 5ft.  Windows too or not able to be opened far enough to get out.

8 minutes ago, tonray said:

The key is not to get stone faced drunk and lose your senses. Personal responsibility is wanting in many visitors.

Whilst there is arguably some truth in this, one must also factor in that some businesses here (lol... lots of businesses here), actively work at stripping away a persons awareness and good judgement.

much like not letting a drunk friend drive, after a raucous party you may have hosted, encouraging all to make merry.... establishments here should factor in the safety of people who have disgraced themselves by overindulging... perhaps at that very establishment.

its both responsible and good business sense

also.... these issues pertain to children as well, who have less awareness of personal safety needs, as do adults, who may take a higher level of risk management / standards ( by a hotel?), as norm

a lot of posters have already (today) pointed out the folly of the English girl cycling around Thailand, imbued with the idea that she will be safe... well, drinkers may also be imbued with that concept, as they have drunk before... then bam... oops..., stuffed that one up

so.... protect the weakest link.... in a party hard town, that would be people who have over indulged.... and as deerhunter suggests, 5 foot high barricading would do this.... and is a far better business decision than having people fall to their deaths in front of your hotel, or so I would have thought

I think a lot of people fail to appreciate that most of your weight is above your waist.  The balconies are low and if you slip with momentum into the railing, you will go over because that is where the weight is.

The laws of physics state that "every object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless compelled to change its state by the action of an external force".  If the balcony railing is only acting on your legs, it only stops the momentum of half of your body.  And there is no other external force to save you.  The upper, heavier half of your body continues straight on.

Anybody who isn't under 5 ft 8 / 170cm needs to be careful.  Especially after a night of drinking because you are in less control of your reflexes.

Let's imagine you're wasted.  You try to lean against a wall outside a bar.  Only the wall isn't where you thought it was and you fall onto the ground to the great amusement of all your friends.  We've probably all done this at some point in the past.  If you did it on a balcony, and your reactions were nowhere to be seen, there's a good chance you'd be hitting the concrete a few seconds later. 

1 hour ago, Shiver said:

Condolences to her family.

As I read the headline and thinking 'oh no, not again', I'm wondering why with the frequency of these events of falling, that balconies aren't modified to make it more difficult to have an accident (an actual or a postured one).

Plus the amount of so called falls is beyond belief. Does murder ever enter the equation? Answer = Nope. Too hard as Thai boxing is on Sunday. PS RIP

13 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

The laws of physics state that "every object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless compelled to change its state by the action of an external force". 

You failed to acknowledge the source, so this is either plagiarism or copyright infringement!

20 minutes ago, hobobo said:

You failed to acknowledge the source, so this is either plagiarism or copyright infringement!

Lol.... he's quoting issac Newton's first law of motion.... im sure dead old Isaac won't mind dfd????'s failure to mention his name ???

2 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Lol.... he's quoting issac Newton's first law of motion.... im sure dead old Isaac won't mind dfd????'s failure to mention his name ???

I'm sure dead old Isaac won't mind, but you know about these great, great, great... grandchildren who are too lazy to do something for themselves and just want to sponge off their famous ancestors' achievements...lol