North Korea does not want war, world does not want regime change: U.N.

webfact

North Korea does not want war, world does not want regime change: U.N.

By Tom Miles

tag-reuters-1.jpg

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un waves to people attending a military parade marking the 105th birth anniversary of country's founding father, Kim Il Sung in Pyongyang, April 15, 2017. REUTERS/Damir Sagolj/Files

GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea does not want to start a nuclear war and the world is not seeking to overthrow its leader Kim Jong Un, the U.N. disarmament chief said on Tuesday.

Izumi Nakamitsu, U.N. High Representative for Disarmament Affairs, said there was hope for a peaceful end to the tension caused by the nuclear ambitions of North Korea, also known as Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).

"I don’t think DPRK wants to start a nuclear war," she told a news conference in Geneva.

On Monday, the U.N. Security Council unanimously decided to step up sanctions on North Korea after its sixth and largest nuclear test, prompting a war of words between diplomats at the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva.

Asked if the pressure on North Korea was pushing the world to the brink of nuclear war, Nakamitsu said U.N. officials were in touch with all sides and nobody - including North Korea - saw a military solution to the crisis.

"That is just too catastrophic," she said. "I think we all understand the consequences of a military escalation, a 'military solution'. That's why we keep saying that it would not be a solution for anyone, including DPRK."

She added: "Maybe I'm missing something but as far as I hear, no one is really asking for any collapse of DPRK, quite the contrary. No one is talking about regime change, quite the contrary."

She was also hopeful that, as in the past, increased nuclear tensions might yield progress in disarmament talks.

"When people say that because the international security environment is so difficult, tensions are so high, that we can’t discuss disarmament, that is historically not accurate."

U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres has offered to play a role in mediating, as has Switzerland. So far no such steps have been taken, but the United Nations was prepared to get involved if asked to do so, Nakamitsu said.

"We are definitely preparing ourselves, exploring scenarios as part of our normal contingency planning."

(Reporting by Tom Miles; Editing by Janet Lawrence)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-13

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I hope she is correct in her assessment, though I suspect the fat man will be ready to see his country annihilated before he will back down. Very difficult to see a good solution to this.

I agree with the assessment.  But the world wants a denuclearized Korean peninsula. Something Kim is against.  Therein lies the rub.

Just read an interesting report saying this gives other rogue nations the go ahead to pursue their own nuclear strategy, as nothing will be done about it anyway.  Letting North Korea go ahead sets a dangers precedent.

Kim like the rest of us just wants security, security against regime change. The world may not want regime change as the UN say, but no one does anything about it when the US decides to execute a regime change....except the Russians in Syria.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"That is just too catastrophic," she said. "I think we all understand the consequences of a military escalation, a 'military solution'. That's why we keep saying that it would not be a solution for anyone, including DPRK."

an intellectual take on a megalomanic ; about the same as a debate on whether stupidity is dangerous: Pointless

Just now, ilostmypassword said:

We've seen how well waging war in the name of regime change has worked in recent past.

Most attempts at regime change were done during the cold war.  Russia was on the other side doing the exact same thing.  So probably not good examples, and many were decades ago.

Regime change is a tough one.  Successful ones might be Kuwait and Panama?  As Max states, NK would be a prime example of one where it's needed.  How to make it successful is tough.

I think this is a war of words ... if NK would be seriously attacked by the US , they would fire a few rockets , of course , but the majority of this country's population is starving and not willing to die for Kim Yong , I guess . They would just throw their weapons away and surrender or run away ...

17 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

I think this is a war of words ... if NK would be seriously attacked by the US , they would fire a few rockets , of course , but the majority of this country's population is starving and not willing to die for Kim Yong , I guess . They would just throw their weapons away and surrender or run away ...

You think the "majority" of DPRK's population is simultaneously starving and armed?

I don't believe anyone is greatly concerned about the DPRK's "majority" other than how many would be tragic, collateral damage (as if they aren't already by just living under a totalitarian regime).

4 hours ago, quadperfect said:

I think he wants a nuclear war. He is acting like a idiot and the world agrees.

I'm not so sure he wants to be involved in a nuclear war, but I do believe he is showing the rest of the world he has the capability. Think of the potential customers KJU has for both his device and delivery systems. May be an even better way to get back at the West and stay officially uninvolved.

Yeah, but. . .

Of course the world wants regime change in North Korea. To say other wise is an obvious lie - as it is to pretend that cranking up UN sanctions is not a strategy specifically aimed at achieving this objective.

(Thinks: Why does anybody continue to take the UN and its parrot cage of talking heads seriously?)

Trump is in a bind because the CIA looks incapable of inciting the kind of peasants revolt in the Democratic Republic which brought us the Arab Spring and an ongoing hot season of political climate change across North Africa and the Middle East. 

Flashing the nuclear bulge in his pants is starting to look like the only way blondie Trump can save his immense ego from deflation by his brunette North Korean altar ego.

Hang on to your toupees.

35 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Yeah, but. . .

Of course the world wants regime change in North Korea. To say other wise is an obvious lie - as it is to pretend that cranking up UN sanctions is not a strategy specifically aimed at achieving this objective.

(Thinks: Why does anybody continue to take the UN and its parrot cage of talking heads seriously?)

Trump is in a bind because the CIA looks incapable of inciting the kind of peasants revolt in the Democratic Republic which brought us the Arab Spring and an ongoing hot season of political climate change across North Africa and the Middle East. 

Flashing the nuclear bulge in his pants is starting to look like the only way blondie Trump can save his immense ego from deflation by his brunette North Korean altar ego.

Hang on to your toupees.

Few here are saying the world wants regime change except you.  It's not a lie, you seem to like to go against the grain with stuff like this. LOL

The CIA?  Jeez....and how did we get to the Arab Spring from here?  A bit off topic.  Again.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

No one is talking about regime change

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Most attempts at regime change were done during the cold war.  Russia was on the other side doing the exact same thing.  So probably not good examples, and many were decades ago.

Regime change is a tough one.  Successful ones might be Kuwait and Panama?  As Max states, NK would be a prime example of one where it's needed.  How to make it successful is tough.

If somehow North Korea could become a semi-autonomous state of China, regime change might work. Neither China nor Russia will agree to a unified democratic Korean Republic.

11 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

If somehow North Korea could become a semi-autonomous state of China, regime change might work. Neither China nor Russia will agree to a unified democratic Korean Republic.

And therein lies the problem with regime change.  Politics get in the way of what's the right thing to do.  Unite Korea.  Just like Germany.  IMHO!

:jap:

Ha ha that too ,but i dont think its up to donald anymore. The wheel is in motion ,the world is ready so all it will take is kim crossing the line he is about to cross.

If he does what he threatens to do.

I honestly believe 45 is waiting for Mueller's investigation to start criminal proceedings against members of his (45) regime then 45 will start a war/declare national emergency etc. 

Ha ha that too ,but i dont think its up to donald anymore. The wheel is in motion ,the world is ready so all it will take is kim crossing the line he is about to cross.

If he does what he threatens to do.

Which is?