Suspicious Black Water Jomtien Beach

M1Tanker

Towards the end of this past July I just spent about five days at Jomtien Beach.  Everyday in the morning I could see the following dark water from my balcony. I couldn't see this water when I was at street or beach level. Some days the flow would go the other direction depending on currents.  Any idea what the source of it is?  I certainly hope it isn’t sewage.

IMG_7067.JPG

IMG_7067.JPG

Edited by M1Tanker

2 minutes ago, jeanpierre said:

rocks ?

I don't know. Everyday the fixed point of the black water was in the same location, indicated by the red arrow in the first image.  When the currents changed, the flow of black water would change.  In this image the water flows left (south southeast) to right (north northeast), but other days it would start at the point indicated by the red arrow and flow right (north northeast) to left (south south east).

15 minutes ago, johng said:

No no no its the "seasonal algae bloom" often accompanied by lots of  "Mersey Trout"

definitely  cannot be not raw sewage as the treatment plant on Soi Wat Boon is fully working as can be seen in my photos !!

1503037302890.jpg.6b674f50f95ec27bb94eeb733b36c122.jpg1497616048433.jpg.0e5e5016aedffe635aa91403134536b2.jpg1497614390431.jpg.ff70af83be24872194b01dd86cf095ad.jpg 

Really?  I'm not an oceanographer.  The "source" of the black water (NOTE: It didn't appear green to me.) was a very defined location, and the same location, everyday. It was more visible in the mornings. 

I suppose that assumes that all building facilities in the area are properly linked into the city sewage system.

Still, I'm not sure what the black water is.  

Edited by M1Tanker

28 minutes ago, M1Tanker said:

I suppose that assumes that all building facilities in the area are properly linked into the city sewage system.

here is a clue...those rings in the photos should be full with water being aerated.

like this.

iStock-110933573-1140x641.jpg.620be41d0cf03b830611e4431d3c245d.jpg

We can conclude ( by the green algae on the accumulated rainwater in the tanks)

that the water treatment plant on Soi Wat Boon  Jomtien isn't being used.. wonder where all the sewage from those big hotels, condos and everyone else goes to ?

Edited by johng

11 minutes ago, johng said:

here is a clue...those rings in the photos should be full with water being aerated.

like this.

that the water treatment plant on Soi Wat Boon  Jomtien isn't being used.. wonder where all the sewage from those big hotels and condos goes to ?

to the sea

2 hours ago, johng said:

No no no its the "seasonal algae bloom" often accompanied by lots of  "Mersey Trout"

definitely  cannot be not raw sewage as the treatment plant on Soi Wat Boon is fully working as can be seen in my photos !!

1503037302890.jpg.6b674f50f95ec27bb94eeb733b36c122.jpg1497616048433.jpg.0e5e5016aedffe635aa91403134536b2.jpg1497614390431.jpg.ff70af83be24872194b01dd86cf095ad.jpg 

1 hour ago, johng said:

like this.

that the water treatment plant on Soi Wat Boon  Jomtien isn't being used.. wonder where all the sewage from those big hotels, condos and everyone else goes to ?

johng, I am confused by the your two posts.  In the first post you state "definitely  cannot be not raw sewage as the treatment plant on Soi Wat Boon is fully working as can be seen in my photos !!," but in your second post you state "We can conclude ( by the green algae on the accumulated rainwater in the tanks) that the water treatment plant on Soi Wat Boon  Jomtien isn't being used."

I am just trying to understand the two comments with images.

2 hours ago, M1Tanker said:

I don't know. Everyday the fixed point of the black water was in the same location, indicated by the red arrow in the first image.  When the currents changed, the flow of black water would change.  In this image the water flows left (south southeast) to right (north northeast), but other days it would start at the point indicated by the red arrow and flow right (north northeast) to left (south south east).

Where on Beach Rad is this next to?

johng, I am confused by the your two posts.  In the first post you state "definitely  cannot be not raw sewage as the treatment plant on Soi Wat Boon is fully working

Sorry for confusing you.

sarcasm

noun [ U ]

UK ​ /ˈsɑː.kæz.əm/ US ​ /ˈsɑːr.kæz.əm/

the use of remarks that clearly mean the opposite of what they say, made inordertohurt someone's feelings or to criticize something in a humorous way:

"You have been working hard," he said with heavy sarcasm, as he looked at the empty page.

7 minutes ago, johng said:

Sorry for confusing you.

sarcasm

noun [ U ]

UK  /ˈsɑː.kæz.əm/ US  /ˈsɑːr.kæz.əm/

the use of remarks that clearly mean the opposite of what they say, made inordertohurt someone's feelings or to criticize something in a humorous way:

"You have been working hard," he said with heavy sarcasm, as he looked at the empty page.

Thanks!  Sarcasm, properly used.  I appreciate it. I think I was too focused on figuring out what is going on here and missed it.

An off topic bit of trivia, that building sat completed
(not furnished) for many years after the 1997 Asian financial meltdown...I have a nightime photo
(hidding somewhere )
taken about 2002 or 2003 of a single light on in a high up room maybe the security or caretaker lived there.

The black water is a mixture of raw sewerage, storm water...stuff dumped down drains by street vendors...and discharges from hotels...make no mistake about it.

For a long time machinery was working along with barges and excavators laying a huge pipe out into the sea....the work went on for a long time...but I believe it's finally been completed.

Pattaya/Jomtien does not have an operating sewerage plant.

Pattaya...World Class Family Resort...Enjoy...swim with the turds...and get ripped off by scams and ladyboys

3 minutes ago, carlyai said:

A fair while ago there was a large pipe run out into the sea to outlet water. Storm water I would presume, ....but...

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Not only storm water I'm afraid. On Google Maps there are 3 black spots along Jomtien Beach. Two in front of Soi Wat Boon and one in front of the hotel where the OP pic was taken.

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/sewer-line-replacement-fouls-jomtien-beach-179266image.thumb.jpg.b17548cec72cadc91c0232fcd93f6f27.jpg

Was posted a good few times before on this subject, The water is filthy!

i have seen a video taken from View Talay . It shows a huge cloud of black water going from near the shore out into the bay. The foreigners who showed me said it was often like that in the morning. No swimming there , or Pattaya, for me. 

Sorry for confusing you.

sarcasm
noun [ U ]

UK ​ /ˈsɑː.kæz.əm/ US ​ /ˈsɑːr.kæz.əm/

I thought sarcasm like irony were not to be found in US dictionsries.

Sent from my SM-C900F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

often in Thailand, a hotel or restaurant will pipe the used water out into the sea or whatever body of water is nearby.

by used water I do not mean sewage like waste water from the toilet but water from the sink where you wash hands or do laundry or the like. 

but the color is a bit vexing ...