Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

We own a Minimart and this will be some of the new prices as per my wife.                   Beer and cigarettes up
Leo 58 now up to 110฿
 Chang 57 now up to 118฿                                                                                                                          

Good luck with that my friend. There are always those that will take advantage of government tax rises, but to almost double the price of a product?

As said good luck with that, your wife shouldn' t need a monk to predict your future in sales of alcohol......

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the government to ratify the increase and say that there will be a "moderate increase and the retail prices would not be significantly increased" one can only assume there are a lot of operators out there that clearly do not understand how the tax is being imposed.
There could be a new thread with the most outrageous prices seen and quoted in the coming days until this becomes clearer...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, madmitch said:

As for fruit wines, I would assume that Siam Winery, owned by the Red Bull family, I believe, and the importers of Montclair, might not want to lose their market share! What is stupid is that despite having fruit juice added, the ABV is no different to pure wine!

Will protect and increase their market share as will be cheaper esp when compared to imported wine (non fruit juice added).

See my post on another thread............

The details are as following: The tax per bottle of wine priced above Bt1,000 will be Bt110 upwards, depending on the price. The tax on locally made wine will decrease by Bt25 per bottle

Ah yes.........have to ensure that the extremely wealthy and influential/well connected owner of a certain winery here can benefit from increased sales. After all got to keep his son on the run and buy him a new Ferrari.

15 minutes ago, jody davis said:

I am unsure where she came up with the new pricing. This is just what she sent me by Line.

Ask her about the proposed increase in licence fee for retailers to sell alcohol from less than 2,000 baht per annum to 50,000 baht. Is she going to still sell booze or is that another scare story well off the mark?

32 pages :laugh:

1 minute ago, Yann55 said:

32 pages of comments for an article about a tax hike on alcohol !!! I guess that says it all about the expat situation here :cheesy:

Reminds me of good laugh post once.  

A expat guy was raving on about Thailand and ended with if your drinking beer at 9 am in the morning it's time to go home.

The following post was " is 9.15 am OK.  :laugh:

53 minutes ago, jody davis said:

She Lined me an article from a Thai publication, BTS.

Say goodbye to your customers. They will go to the minimart down the road that is selling at 60 baht.

I just went to buy a box of Chang at our local wholesalers. She sold to me today for the existing price (568). She told me that tomorrow it will be 592.

Half a Baht more for a can of beer----yer the country's finished...no tourist will stand for that. It's also ruined our life here so we might as well all go home...
Talk about headless chickens--how do you guys handle actual real life situations....

** My wife left me because of my insecurities. No wait, she's back. She just went to make a cup of tea.............:coffee1:

Most people on this site need to go back to the mother country every now and again for a reality check .

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Chances are that you would have considerably more money to start with in the UK than here in Thailand. And your girlfriend would make considerably more than 300bt/day, should she work!

Bottle of Beck's in Sainsbury's UK - 28 baht (case of 20).  Excellent wine; a tenner. Fact is, it is cheaper to live in the UK if you like a beer, a nice wine and a fridge full of quality cheese.  Like-for-like day-today living, the UK is cheaper than here (reformed smoker or that might tip the balance at a tenner a pack) The difference is, you CAN live really cheap here if you wish to.  But, once I chuck in the ridiculous cost of private education and the idiotic cost of a decent motor.. f it, I'm off.

1 hour ago, jody davis said:

We own a Minimart and this will be some of the new prices as per my wife.                   Beer and cigarettes up
Leo 58 now up to 110฿
 Chang 57 now up to 118฿                                                                                                                          

I hope she's not selling her old stock at this new price.

I can't believe how they managed to confuse everybody with those new taxes so badly. Poor communication.
Some say it's about 2 Baht extra per large bottle of beer, and others sell the same bottle for over 100 Baht...

Edited by SymS

On 9/16/2017 at 11:13 AM, maeab101 said:

Maybe this will help some people to stop drinking.

This regime has already helped stop them from eating by making changes which have caused them to lose jobs.

Would you like to help them to stop breathing as well?

2 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

How did she come to these price conclusions?
I understood a bottle of beer was to be upped by 2.66 Baht in tax so where does the other 40+ baht come from?
Have I missunderstood the other postings, if so I am a mile off....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Besides the tax increase the mom and pop shops supposedly will take a hard extreme hit on license to sell. So the mom and pops shops have to recoup the increase. This is more than an increase but a full out assault and slap at Thailand and the Thai people who struggle to survive. The elite are hypocrites and racist against foreigners and their own people. So what else is new? Nothing, business and strangle hold for the military government as usual.

23 minutes ago, kellio said:

This regime has already helped stop them from eating by making changes which have caused them to lose jobs.

Would you like to help them to stop breathing as well?

At least the did not rob the country blind. Like thaksin and his daughter "lucky monky"  did.  LOL.

Edited by maeab101

1 hour ago, 1337markus said:

The increase of tax on alcohol is suppose to help Thais health is what they say. <deleted> does this mean then The tax on locally made wine will decrease by Bt25 per bottle.

The decrease in tax on "locally" made wine vs the increase on imported wine shows Thailand believes they have a domestic wine category of significance to protect.  While the tax break for locally made products isn't unusual in this country, the definition of "locally" made wine is.  There are two or three large Thai companies that import wine in bulk from Europe or South America, finish the wine in Thailand and bottle it under their label.  Mar y Sol by Siam Winery is a good example.  In the rest of the world these wines would still have to be labeled for their Country of Origin (not Thailand). It's unclear if Thailand govt considers these wines to fall into the "locally" made or not.  It would be of big financial advantage to the large Thai companies if these negotiant wines suddenly become locally made.    It will be interesting to see if the price of Mar y Sol wines (299 thb) and similar wine prices go up or down or just stay the same (wholesaler taking the margin).   For traditional bottled wines, honestly labelled and imported into Thailand we'll be getting the shaft with higher value wines all the moreso.  Sticking it to the foreigner and Thais who develop an interest in quality wines because they can and probably encouraged by the owners (Red Bull, Singha, etc) of domestic Thai wine businesses.

7 minutes ago, LatPhrao said:

The decrease in tax on "locally" made wine vs the increase on imported wine shows Thailand believes they have a domestic wine category of significance to protect.  While the tax break for locally made products isn't unusual in this country, the definition of "locally" made wine is.  There are two or three large Thai companies that import wine in bulk from Europe or South America, finish the wine in Thailand and bottle it under their label.  Mar y Sol by Siam Winery is a good example.  In the rest of the world these wines would still have to be labeled for their Country of Origin (not Thailand). It's unclear if Thailand govt considers these wines to fall into the "locally" made or not.  It would be of big financial advantage to the large Thai companies if these negotiant wines suddenly become locally made.    It will be interesting to see if the price of Mar y Sol wines (299 thb) and similar wine prices go up or down or just stay the same (wholesaler taking the margin).   For traditional bottled wines, honestly labelled and imported into Thailand we'll be getting the shaft with higher value wines all the moreso.  Sticking it to the foreigner and Thais who develop an interest in quality wines because they can and probably encouraged by the owners (Red Bull, Singha, etc) of domestic Thai wine businesses.

If this stops one person from drinking its worth it.