U.S. Ambassador Haley - U.N. has exhausted options on North Korea

webfact

U.S. Ambassador Haley - U.N. has exhausted options on North Korea

By Doina Chiacu

tag-reuters.jpg

U.S. Ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley attends the daily briefing at the White House in Washington, U.S., September 15, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said on Sunday the U.N. Security Council has run out of options on containing North Korea's nuclear programme and the United States may have to turn the matter over to the Pentagon.

"We have pretty much exhausted all the things that we can do at the Security Council at this point," Haley told CNN's "State of the Union," adding that she was perfectly happy to hand the North Korea problem over to Defense Secretary James Mattis.

As world leaders head to the United Nations headquarters in New York for the annual General Assembly meeting this week, Haley's comments indicated the United States was not backing down from its threat of military action against North Korea.

North Korea launched a missile over Japan into the Pacific Ocean on Thursday in defiance of new U.N. Security Council sanctions banning its textile exports and capping imports of crude oil.

China has urged the United States to refrain from making threats to North Korea. Asked about President Donald Trump's warning last month that the North Korean threat to the United States will be met with "fire and fury," Haley said, "It was not an empty threat."

"If North Korea keeps on with this reckless behaviour, if the United States has to defend itself or defend its allies in any way, North Korea will be destroyed. And we all know that. And none of us want that. None of us want war," she said on CNN.

"We're trying every other possibility that we have, but there's a whole lot of military options on the table," she said.

Pyongyang has launched dozens of missiles as it accelerates a weapons programme designed to provide the ability to target the United States with a powerful, nuclear-tipped missile.

North Korea said on Saturday it aimed to reach an "equilibrium" of military force with the United States.

'ROCKET MAN'

Trump plans to meet with South Korean President Jae-in Moon on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly.

"I spoke with President Moon of South Korea last night. Asked him how Rocket Man is doing. Long gas lines forming in North Korea. Too bad!" Trump said in a Twitter post on Sunday morning.

White House national security adviser H.R. McMaster said on Friday, after the latest North Korean missile launch, that the United States was running out of patience: "We've been kicking the can down the road, and we're out of road."

On Sunday, he warned of imminent danger from Pyongyang.

"This regime is so close now to threatening the United States and others with a nuclear weapon, that we really have to move with a great sense of urgency on sanctions, on diplomacy and preparing, if necessary, a military option,” McMaster told the "Fox News Sunday" programme.

Military options available to Trump range from a sea blockade aimed at enforcing sanctions to cruise missile strikes on nuclear and missile facilities to a broader campaign aimed at overthrowing leader Kim Jong Un.

Mattis has warned the consequences of any military action would be “tragic on an unbelievable scale” and bring severe risk to U.S. ally South Korea.

Democratic U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein said on Sunday that Trump should not rule out talks with North Korea before it agrees to end its nuclear programme.

"I think that North Korea is not going to give up its programme with nothing on the table," she said on CNN.

Feinstein said that a freeze of both its nuclear programme and missile arsenal, rather than ending them, would be more palatable to North Korea and to China, who fears the U.S. goal is toppling Kim.

The United States still wants a peaceful solution and has been waiting for the North Koreans to indicate they are ready to talk, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

"We have tried a couple of times to signal to them that we're ready, when they're ready," he said. "And they have responded with more missile launches and a nuclear test."

(Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

reuters_logo.jpg
    -- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-18

Whilst this is clearly a very serious and difficult situation, this woman is not a UN spokesperson, her comments without doubt have a bias.

Any comments on this subject from the UN should be made by a position / person authosized to speak on behalf of the UN.  

Edited by scorecard

See that raging neocon still has the same meme, bomb, kill, destroy. Still astounds me that the US believes it has the moral right to bomb whoever they want and kill countless people, the numbers are in the millions since WW2. In fact it could be argued that the US is a bigger war criminal that the Nazis. Even more astounding that there are cheer leaders who actually support the notion of selective genocide.

Bombing N Korea would be an unprecedented disaster, better the two idiot leaders stop all the war talk and let actual diplomacy (as opposed to scheming and lies) take over.

34 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."

You just don't like him because he's Russian

Before you arrogantly dismiss this great scholar you should review his academic material on Korea as methinks he knows a little more than you do

• Lankov, Andrei (October 2003). From Stalin to Kim Il Sung: The Formation of North Korea, 1945-1960. Rutgers University Press. ISBN 0-8135-3117-9.
    •  
    • — (December 2004). Crisis in North Korea: The Failure of De-Stalinization, 1956. University of Hawaii Press. ISBN 0-8248-2809-7.
    •  
    • — (2005). КНДР вчера и сегодня: Неформальная история Северной Кореи [The DPRK Yesterday and Today: An Unofficial History of North Korea] (in Russian). Vostok-Zapad. ISBN 5-478-00060-4.
    •  
    • — (2006). Быть корейцем (Being Korean) (in Russian). Vostok-Zapad. ISBN 5-17-032481-2.
    •  
    • — (April 2007). North of the DMZ: Essays on Daily Life in North Korea. McFarland and Company. ISBN 0-7864-2839-2.
    •  
    • — (2008). The Dawn of Modern Korea. EunHaeng NaMu publishing. ISBN 978-89-5660-214-1.
    •  
    • — (2009). Август, 1956 год. Кризис в Северной Корее (August 1956, A Crisis in North Korea). ROSSPEN. ISBN 978-5-8243-0907-2.
    •  
    • — (2013). The Real North Korea: Life and Politics in the Failed Stalinist Utopia. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0199964297.

Edited by LannaGuy

7 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

You just don't like him because he's Russian

Before you arrogantly dismiss this great scholar you should review his academic material on Korea as methinks he knows a little more than you do

• Lankov, Andrei (October 2003). From Stalin to Kim Il Sung: The Formation of North Korea, 1945-1960. Rutgers University Press. ISBN 0-8135-3117-9.
    •  
    • — (December 2004). Crisis in North Korea: The Failure of De-Stalinization, 1956. University of Hawaii Press. ISBN 0-8248-2809-7.
    •  
    • — (2005). КНДР вчера и сегодня: Неформальная история Северной Кореи [The DPRK Yesterday and Today: An Unofficial History of North Korea] (in Russian). Vostok-Zapad. ISBN 5-478-00060-4.
    •  
    • — (2006). Быть корейцем (Being Korean) (in Russian). Vostok-Zapad. ISBN 5-17-032481-2.
    •  
    • — (April 2007). North of the DMZ: Essays on Daily Life in North Korea. McFarland and Company. ISBN 0-7864-2839-2.
    •  
    • — (2008). The Dawn of Modern Korea. EunHaeng NaMu publishing. ISBN 978-89-5660-214-1.
    •  
    • — (2009). Август, 1956 год. Кризис в Северной Корее (August 1956, A Crisis in North Korea). ROSSPEN. ISBN 978-5-8243-0907-2.
    •  
    • — (2013). The Real North Korea: Life and Politics in the Failed Stalinist Utopia. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0199964297.

I've read his publications.  It's got nothing to do with the fact he's Russian.  Just don't agree with his writings.  Is that against the law?  Or a violation of forum rules? LOL

2 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I've read his publications.  It's got nothing to do with the fact he's Russian.  Just don't agree with his writings.  Is that against the law?  Or a violation of forum rules? LOL

Andrei Lankov is a world renown expert on North Korea and published by Oxford University. It may not be against forum rules but you are making yourself look foolish by dismissing his views as

"Seems he's your only reference! LOL  I'll pass."

Claiming you have read Lankov and your view is superior to this academics lifetime work on Korea including attending University in Pyonggyang and his current role at Seoul's University of Kookmin is beyond foolish.

I know who's views I would take notice of.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Seems he's your only reference! LOL  I'll pass.

Craig this guy is a Professor of History in Seoul and has written and studied extensively on Korea. If I were you I'd stop before you dig yourself any deeper and just review a very reasonable analysis of the Korean situation. 

17 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Andrei Lankov is a world renown expert on North Korea and published by Oxford University. It may not be against forum rules but you are making yourself look foolish by dismissing his views as

Claiming you have read Lankov and your view is superior to this academics lifetime work on Korea including attending University in Pyonggyang and his current role at Seoul's University of Kookmin is beyond foolish.

Where did I say my view is superior to his?  He takes a very positive view of North Korea and is very critical of western media.  He's quite open about that.  Kinda like reading a report on Trump from one of his supporters.  Perhaps biased?

I understand what he says.  And have read his articles.  But don't agree with his assessments that NK is not being treated fairly by the global community.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

Where did I say my view is superior to his?  He takes a very positive view of North Korea and is very critical of western media.  He's quite open about that.  Kinda like reading a report on Trump from one of his supporters.  Perhaps biased?

I understand what he says.  And have read his articles.  But don't agree with his assessments that NK is not being treated fairly by the global community.

Obviously you haven't or you would not be spouting flapdoodle like the above.

5 minutes ago, baboon said:

Obviously you haven't or you would not be spouting flapdoodle like the above.

Ok.  Here's an example of his writings:

https://archive.is/20110924095232/http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/MI23Dg02.html

Just one example of this under-reported improvement will probably suffice. Until the mid-1990s, the entire family of a political criminal - that is, all people who were registered at the same address as he or she, were by default shipped to a concentration camp. Some 10 or 15 years ago, this approach ceased to be universal, so families of many political criminals - including some prominent activists based in Seoul - remained free.

Due to fair use rules, I can't post the rest, but he uses this to be critical of western media for not reporting improvements there.  Even though he admits in the next paragraph the families are still harassed and denied good jobs.  But is critical for the West not reporting on the improvements.

Too funny....

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Ok.  Here's an example of his writings:

https://archive.is/20110924095232/http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/MI23Dg02.html

Due to fair use rules, I can't post the rest, but he uses this to be critical of western media for not reporting improvements there.  Even though he admits in the next paragraph the families are still harassed and denied good jobs.  But is critical for the West not reporting on the improvements.

Too funny....

What is funny is your one selective quote you scrabbled around desperately online for. You have not read him at any length.

13 minutes ago, baboon said:

What is funny is your one selective quote you scrabbled around desperately online for. You have not read him at any length.

You opinion, which is wrong. I've read several of his articles. From beginning to end.  Again, just don't agree with his assessments.  Though he does have some good points.

In the end, Kim and family has treated their people terribly.  All to protect their positions of power.  Sick. 

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

Screenshot_2017-09-18-11-11-19.png

With my black cap on today:
    whoever the source of certain articles is, the situation is actively being escalated and, if the escalation continues, will give the countries involved a pretext to impose Martial Law, what will put the power beyond control of Parliament or Congress. Also, it is a great pretext to default on government debt especially when that is largely held by adversaries, and that will create great buying opportunities for those prepared.
    Now white cap view:
    Just sable rattling, and all will be honky dory.

11 minutes ago, retarius said:

This woman is a liability. The US have not even proposed a dialogue with Kim...why not? If the US hasn't even talked to the fellow how can we be out of options? 

She's a former governor who Trump made the rep to the UN.  She has no experience with regards to foreign policy.  Horrible choice for this position.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

She's a former governor who Trump made the rep to the UN.  She has no experience with regards to foreign policy.  Horrible choice for this position.

I dislike most of Trumps's appointments and it's true, like your goodself, she has little experience of foreign policy   :smile: