Fat: the more you eat, the better

webfact

Fat: the more you eat, the better

By The Nation

3ece1540154e234d38dd5e8e889394c7.jpg

For years, people the world over have been told that fat is bad from them. Now Thai nutritionist Phasit Kanasirichainon is begging to differ, pointing out that science has shown that certain types of fats are not only good for you but are part of a balanced diet

Here are three reasons why:

1. Know which fats are good.

Monounsaturated fat (MUFA), polyunsaturated fat (PUFA), are “good fats” that are widely accepted for their ability to lower low-density lipoprotein (LDL), a bad cholesterol, which in turn reduces the risk of heart disease.

Both can be found in some plant-based oils, especially in olive oil. Not only are these types of fat important for daily fat intake as sources of energy, healthy fats like PUFA also contain fatty acids that your body needs for cell growth.

2. Good fats have many health benefits.

The average person of a healthy weight is recommended to obtain approximately 20-35 per cent of daily calorific intake from good fats. This is because apart from serving as fuel for the body, fat also plays vital roles in improving brain function. Sixty per cent of the brain composition is fat, thus supplementing diet with good fats is essential.

According to Gary L Wenk, Professor at Ohio State University, a diet high in monounsaturated fats is found to enhance the cognitive function of the brain to lessen the chance of memory loss. 

Fat also helps neurogenesis (the formation of new brain cells) and as a fuel source, helps the brain function more efficiently as it produces fewer free radicals as a metabolic side effect, explains Dr David Perlmutter, board-certified neurologist and author of Grain Brain.

3. Good fats keep you full

When consumed in moderation, good fats can actually help protect against gaining weight. According to the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, people who consume an oil-rich diet feel full sooner and longer because when fat enters the body, it slows down digestion and increases fullness.

This documented decrease in appetite means it’s less likely that you feel a sudden urge to snack throughout the day.

Healthy fats foods to eat

>> Olive oil: Contains higher level of MUFA than other edible oils means it is particularly heart-healthy and also rich in polyphenols, an antioxidant to help decrease the risk of heart disease and contain cancer-fighting properties.

>> Salmon: Great source of omega-3 fatty acids, proven to reduce inflammation.

>> Avocado: Gives a good source of antioxidant vitamin E.

>> Walnuts: Filled with omega-3 fatty acids, specifically alpha linoleic acid.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/lifestyle/30327202

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-21

Reasonable post highlighting that some fats are much less harmful than others, and some are beneficial, with a few half-truths however, especially the headining "more you eat the better" which is BS.

Many people who eat a lot of fat don't find it makes them eat less. People who live on fat-rich fast foods are quite often mass consumers!

Gram for gram, fats contain more than twice as many calories as proteins or carbohydrates, and so eating quite a small amount can make you go well over your daily calorie requirement (e.g. that teaspoon of mayonnaise on your sandwich has the same number of calories as both slices of bread that you make it with.)

In addition, eating certain fats only helps with brain function and neurogenesis if you are in a state of deficiency of those fats.  Thus a hammer indeed helps you to drive nails in, but having three hammers is not more help than having one, so more is not better..

Edited by partington

1 hour ago, partington said:

Reasonable post highlighting that some fats are much less harmful than others, and some are beneficial, with a few half-truths however, especially the headining "more you eat the better" which is BS.

Many people who eat a lot of fat don't find it makes them eat less. People who live on fat-rich fast foods are quite often mass consumers!

Gram for gram, fats contain more than twice as many calories as proteins or carbohydrates, and so eating quite a small amount can make you go well over your daily calorie requirement (e.g. that teaspoon of mayonnaise on your sandwich has the same number of calories as both slices of bread that you make it with.)

In addition, eating certain fats only helps with brain function and neurogenesis if you are in a state of deficiency of those fats.  Thus a hammer indeed helps you to drive nails in, but having three hammers is not more help than having one, so more is not better..

Calories aren't what most people appear to think they are

Eating fat for health is just half the story….you also have to wean yourself off carbs….otherwise the body will use the carbs to fuel itself…and the fat will be stored on your body.

Keep you carbs to no more than 20-25 gms a day…..not easy…….and your body will slowly adapt to using fat as an energy source.

The first thing that will happen when you get off crazy amounts of carbs is that you'll experience drastic weight loss in the first week…which is basically water weight…each glycogen molecule stored has 4 times the water binding to it!

You start with low amounts of fat…..to allow your body to burn your own fat first…..then you slowly ramp up your fat intake.

But don't do crazy stuff like eating half a pack of butter……and bacon and pork lard in huge quantities. I fry my eggs in a readymade pat of lurpak butter. I make my own guacamole with avocado. I eat a lot of coconut fat……mostly in home made ice cream….made with 0 carb 0 calorie natural sweetener (erythrityol) and monk fruit powder.

Fat satiates your appetite for much longer….no sugar peaks and trough that keep you constantly hungry…..I only eat one big and one small meal a day. Lots of energy……erections like steel…..more shagging than when i was on carbs. Good times.

4 hours ago, dg1980 said:

Exactly this... and alcohol, which is metabolized much like sugar.

You have no idea how wrong you are with this statement on alcohol.

Google 'alcohol bioavailability' and learn from there....

Edited by ukrules

10 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Eating fat for health is just half the story….you also have to wean yourself off carbs….otherwise the body will use the carbs to fuel itself…and the fat will be stored on your body.

Keep you carbs to no more than 20-25 gms a day…..not easy…….and your body will slowly adapt to using fat as an energy source.

The first thing that will happen when you get off crazy amounts of carbs is that you'll experience drastic weight loss in the first week…which is basically water weight…each glycogen molecule stored has 4 times the water binding to it!

You start with low amounts of fat…..to allow your body to burn your own fat first…..then you slowly ramp up your fat intake.

But don't do crazy stuff like eating half a pack of butter……and bacon and pork lard in huge quantities. I fry my eggs in a readymade pat of lurpak butter. I make my own guacamole with avocado. I eat a lot of coconut fat……mostly in home made ice cream….made with 0 carb 0 calorie natural sweetener (erythrityol) and monk fruit powder.

Fat satiates your appetite for much longer….no sugar peaks and trough that keep you constantly hungry…..I only eat one big and one small meal a day. Lots of energy……erections like steel…..more shagging than when i was on carbs. Good times.

Sounds like the Ketogenic diet. But be careful. If you fall of the wagon and start eating carbs and sugar with similar amount of cholesterol, blockage of arteries in the heart can occur.

This is not new.  Many years ago - sometime in the 70s an australion Doctor who was working in England also proposed this type of diet.  he wrote a book called Eat the and grow Slim.  I had one patient  who was morbidly obese who lost over 12 stones on this diet and all was going well until she re-introduced a high carbohydrate foods into her diet and the weight piled on.

I too was very overweight and went upto 80Kgs.  I stuck rigidly to a high fat very low carb diet and am now a healthy 52kg,

It does work but can be difficult to stick to.

5 hours ago, trogers said:

Sounds like the Ketogenic diet. But be careful. If you fall of the wagon and start eating carbs and sugar with similar amount of cholesterol, blockage of arteries in the heart can occur.

This is a diet that is best accomplished if you prepare your own food….cant trust any restaurant….

for instance…..tom kha gai is the perfect keto food….fat from coconut milk, protein from chicken, minimal carbs from mushroom…..yet they chuck a heap of refined sugar in it…..so I make my own and use a natural sweetener with 0 glycemic load.

• 1 month later...

last year I went on a low carb diet: yogurt or instant noodles for brekkie - zero fer lunch (broiled chicken and steamed veges) - one piece of arabic bread for supper with salad, and lost a kilo per week for 12 weeks...an easy routine to hold to...

but I was chronically constipated even with a daily laxative could only shit every three days...

I got home and resumed eating 'normally' (high fiber with veges, beans and little meat) and gained all the weight back but now with a healthy bowel movement every morning...bowel movements are important as there is bowel cancer in the family, need to know that things are working properly...had an endoscopy in 2009 and all clear then, need to do one again soon...

give and take...