I tried livng very cheap for 1 month

georgegeorgia

I love thai food. One nice thing about living in thailand is that you can eat genuine thai food cooked by thai people in a thai rest every day. When in the north east i sometimes dont eat traditional western food for months. When i  bangkok/pattaya maybe 2-3 times per week. Then i will eat things like fish and chips or porkchop and mash. I rarely eat beef. Average cost over one month maybe 80-120/day. There is no hardship in this lifestyle.I like it.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, tropo said:

There is nothing "hi-so" about how I live. I budget quite hard to get to my level. It wouldn't be difficult to spend 4x as much on food.

Would it not surprise you that as a foreigner I prefer Western food every day. That's one of the reasons I live in Pattaya - because there's a huge choice of Western foods. Why would I want to eat Thai beef when the supermarkets are full of decent imported beef from my home country. Not too long ago, I ended up with a tapeworm courtesy of rare Thai beef.

Agree with your budget idea, but it is mind boggling why you would come to Thailand and live on a western diet....missing out on so much great Thai food.  It would be like if someone moved to Australia to live on a Korean diet.  Just not logical!

On 11/1/2017 at 8:58 PM, balo said:

I do most of my shopping at Big C and 2 full bags is around 500-600 baht .  Will last me for 3 days. I eat out almost every day , only Thai food dishes around 50-60 baht. Maybe a beer 60 baht. Coffee 40-45 baht . You wont find me at Starbucks.I own an espresso machine anyway so drink 4 cups daily.

So I would say 400 baht daily is doable. 

Why you spending so much on a beer....should be no more than 40 baht for 1 can, or are you talking large bottle?

37 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Agree with your budget idea, but it is mind boggling why you would come to Thailand and live on a western diet....missing out on so much great Thai food.  It would be like if someone moved to Australia to live on a Korean diet.  Just not logical!

mind boggling and utmost illogical is the idea that moving to Thailand might be based on the preference for Thai food. :laugh:

as a part of my diet i love Thai food but this had nothing to do with the decision to retire in Thailand.

4 hours ago, talahtnut said:
13 hours ago, tropo said:

I eat plenty of chicken too. If I didn't my budget would be much higher. Eggs? Yeah, I eat 5 - 10 per day

Ever thought of keeping a large number of chickens in your condo? .. The ultimate answer to cheap grub.

add breeding rabbits to supplement the cheap grub.  :saai:

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

mind boggling and utmost illogical is the idea that moving to Thailand might be based on the preference for Thai food. :laugh:

as a part of my diet i love Thai food but this had nothing to do with the decision to retire in Thailand.

nice try with your pretzel logic!  The original assertion is completely different and your statement is rejected.

2 minutes ago, torrzent said:

wow, sounds like you are living in unpleasant circumstances....why not leave if so unhappy!

i am living since 12 years a very content and extremely comfortable life in Thailand. and for amusement i read ridiculous comments like yours from newbies.

rabugento1.gif

On 10/25/2017 at 6:04 AM, EvenSteven said:

It's not expensive to eat healthy.  Fads - and foods are just one of them - are nothing more than a marketing scheme targeting the flavour of the month club.  This month it's "superfoods", last month it was "non-gluten food", and month before Justin Bieber, ad infinitum.

Btw, to return to the OP, I don't know why others would want to live on the cheap in what is essentially a third world country.  If it's to get laid, what a price you have to pay.

Or some other great choice??..

can be to go back to old country and put up with garbage from morbid looking obese women, who even then will probably think they must reject most guys.

No thanks i would soon struggle on 25k baht before that but up to you!

4 hours ago, bow said:

I love thai food. One nice thing about living in thailand is that you can eat genuine thai food cooked by thai people in a thai rest every day. When in the north east i sometimes dont eat traditional western food for months. When i  bangkok/pattaya maybe 2-3 times per week. Then i will eat things like fish and chips or porkchop and mash. I rarely eat beef. Average cost over one month maybe 80-120/day. There is no hardship in this lifestyle.I like it.

There's no hardship for you, but from my point of view, you're living in extreme hardship. How do you fit in a Western grub meal on 80- 120 /day?

Just now, talahtnut said:

I dont understand how you fellas can be so precise with your budgets..for me, something will conk out or bust every week, washing machine, fan, aircon, door knobs, tv, today its the stupid ballcock.

Easy, I just call the landlord.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

There's no hardship for you, but from my point of view, you're living in extreme hardship. How do you fit in a Western grub meal on 80- 120 /day?

I wrote average over one month. Many days eat thai only and spend very little. Other days i splash out on a 150 fish and chips. (I speak thai quite well which makes many things in daily life easier and cheaper.) 

3 hours ago, torrzent said:

"mind boggling why you would come to Thailand and live on a Western diet"???  That's a mind-boggling comment. And then you question my logic as well. LOL As if choices of food depends on logic and not taste preference. Let me tell you, there are plenty of Koreans, Chinese, Japanese and other immigrants living in Australia that eat only their own food unless it's not available. What's highly illogical is assuming that people change countries for the sole purpose of changing diet.

Let me clear up the concept of "western food" for the purpose of this discussion. "Western food" is ALL food that isn't Thai food, so that includes some of my favourites such as Korean, Japanese, Italian, Dutch, German, French, Indian, Mexican etc. It's mind-boggling that people who come to live in Thailand think that means they have to subsist on Thai food. I had a bit of a honeymoon on Thai food when I first arrived, then changed back to a more healthy regular diet of varied food from around the world.

That's possible in Pattaya - that's why I live here. If I lived in Nakonsanowhere, I'd have to go pure Thai. For example, when I visit the Philippines for a month or so I live in a rural town and have no other option than to consume the local food - so I do. 

PS. Who said I missed out on Thai food. There are also Thai dishes I really like. I partake of Thai food once or twice a week at some clean Thai restaurants.

Edited by tropo

2 hours ago, Naam said:

2 hours ago, torrzent said:

wow, sounds like you are living in unpleasant circumstances....why not leave if so unhappy!

i am living since 12 years a very content and extremely comfortable life in Thailand. and for amusement i read ridiculous comments like yours from newbies.

rabugento1.gif

He must have missed the part where you made it clear you have your own personal chef cooking Thai food in your air-conditioned kitchen in a big comfortable house that you built yourself. Life must be tough. LOL

Basically, in this thread, if you spend more than 1000 on electric, 100 on water, 500 on Internet and 10,000 on rent and over 300 per day on food, you are going to be flamed. Don't even think of mentioning ownership of a condo or house.

56 minutes ago, steven100 said:

as I mentioned before .... I have a budget of 4,000 baht/ day  and I stick to it.  I eat out most nights and enjoy the lobster from time to time.

Well done! Another guy living well in Thailand - as they should be.

7 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Ever thought of keeping a large number of chickens in your condo? .. The ultimate answer to cheap grub.

It's a great idea if you have space. I would if I lived in the country. We do it at our house in the Philippines. It wouldn't be to save money though because chicken and eggs are very cheap here - it would be to improve the quality of what I eat. I think it would increase my budget compared to buying them at the supermarket. You have to feed the chickens, you know.

Edited by tropo

26 minutes ago, bow said:

I wrote average over one month. Many days eat thai only and spend very little. Other days i splash out on a 150 fish and chips. (I speak thai quite well which makes many things in daily life easier and cheaper.) 

(I don't speak Thai and still find life in Pattaya rather easy. I don't shop at markets, so I just need to be able to read numbers)

I realise you're talking about averages, but even so, you would not be able to fit much into such a low average.

12 minutes ago, tropo said:

(I don't speak Thai and still find life in Pattaya rather easy. I don't shop at markets, so I just need to be able to read numbers)

I realise you're talking about averages, but even so, you would not be able to fit much into such a low average.

True

1 hour ago, tropo said:

He must have missed the part where you made it clear you have your own personal chef cooking Thai food in your air-conditioned kitchen in a big comfortable house that you built yourself. Life must be tough. LOL

Basically, in this thread, if you spend more than 1000 on electric, 100 on water, 500 on Internet and 10,000 on rent and over 300 per day on food, you are going to be flamed. Don't even think of mentioning ownership of a condo or house.

OK but the thread is about " living cheap for one month" it's not about I spend 4000 a day or I eat lobster.stay on the page and you shouldn't get flamed.

17 minutes ago, adammike said:

OK but the thread is about " living cheap for one month" it's not about I spend 4000 a day or I eat lobster.stay on the page and you shouldn't get flamed.

This thread is about anything to do with the costs of living here because costs of everything influence how much you spend in a month and how cheap you can manage. The last sentence was written with the tongue firmly in cheek.:smile:

Also, cheap is a relative concept. Expensive for one could be cheap for another or vice versa.

Edited by tropo

OP's mate has money, but chooses to live on 15k/mo. 

I can relate in a way.  I moved here relatively young (early 40s) with a decent monthly pension and a modest portfolio of growth and income producing holdings that often matches or exceeds the pension amount.   Strategy was/is to live a modest but comfortable life on the pension amount, and only take divs and distributions for 6 months to fund discretionary purchases, travel abroad, etc.  The other 6 months, portfolio set to reinvest proceeds.   Be dumb to blow money just because it's there and we can.