Trump clashes with sports world over player protests, invitation

rooster59

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

It's pretty clear that subsidies are a very bad idea, particularly in the case of a football stadium where there are 8  guaranteed home games per year. That's slightly more than one week.

I agree, there are subsidies for almost all major sport stadiums. If teams can afford to pay players tens of millions, they can afford to build their own stadium.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, habanero said:

Funny how when I got to the end of this article about NFL Sunday Ticket and Direct TV giving refunds.  There is an advertisement for NFL Game pass.  

Is there a discount for kneeling?  :smile:

1 hour ago, rijb said:

Was able to get a FULL REFUND from @DIRECTV on my #NFLSundayTicket (which auto-renewed).
Nice guy, "Joe", said they have canceled MANY.

http://mashable.com/2017/09/26/directv-nfl-protest-cancel-refund/?utm_cid=hp-h-1#AtwMSF9WR5qj

Interesting that you left this out from your link:

People who can't handle NFL protests are canceling their DirecTV sports package

"Ignorance is bliss, especially when it comes to free speech at football games."

"That's what Trump supporters and other football fans who can't handle sports activism seem to think."

"For the football fans who claim they are bothered seeing athletes standing up (or rather, kneeling) for the right to protest, DirecTV is caving with refunds to their sports package, the Wall Street Journal reported."

Now, the cry-baby Free Speech deniers, will have to go mooch at a friends house to watch the games. :laugh:

Or, sit home alone. Watching Home Alone...

Edited by iReason

1 minute ago, iReason said:

Interesting that you left this out from your link:

People who can't handle NFL protests are canceling their DirecTV sports package

"Ignorance is bliss, especially when it comes to free speech at football games."

"That's what Trump supporters and other football fans who can't handle sports activism seem to think."

"For the football fans who claim they are bothered seeing athletes standing up (or rather, kneeling) for the right to protest,

DirecTV is caving with refunds to their sports package, the Wall Street Journal reported."

Now, the cry-baby Free Speech deniers, will have to go mooch at a friends house to watch the games. :laugh:

Or, sit home alone. Watching Home Alone...

Post your stupid clips the way you want.  The rest of us have to watch out for the Fair Use Policy.

Donald Trump begins feud with Steph Curry, reaches new level of petty

"Just when you thought Donald Trump couldn't act more childish and petty, he takes to Twitter and kicks off a feud

with the second biggest basketball star on the planet right now."

"As the NBA champ Golden State Warriors announced plans to vote as a team on whether or not they would make the traditional champions' visit to the White House, star Steph Curry said he'd likely be joining teammate Kevin Durant in not going."

"Said Curry pretty succinctly, with a laugh, "I don't want to go."

http://mashable.com/2017/09/23/trump-tweets-steph-curry-warriors-white-house/#bMrNPn6WHiqI

Time for the acolytes to "man" the phones, and further isolate themselves from professional sports. :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, iReason said:

They won't. And have already firmly stated their stance.

You can read their official statements on this very thread.

:coffee1:

Yes I have read their statements. They are hedging their bets by saying they support Both sides. They can see this could into a nightmare and don't want to be caught on the wrong side of the fence.

Fans will put patriotism first and sponsors will follow and may actually lead it.

Trump says NFL ratings are 'way down.' That's not completely true

"President Trump tweeted Tuesday morning that they NFL ratings "are way down."

"The overall overnight ratings for the NFL's week 3 games were up 3% compared to the same week last year,

according to Nielsen data."

"That increase includes a "Monday Night Football" game between the Dallas Cowboys and the Arizona Cardinals that nabbed a 9.3 overnight rating for ESPN, up a whopping 63% over last year's New Orleans Saints and Atlanta Falcons game, which brought in a 5.7. (To come up with overnight ratings, Nielsen takes the percentage of households watching in 56 U.S. markets and comes up with an overnight average -- so a 9.3 means that 9.3% of households in those 56 markets tuned into the game on ESPN on Monday night.)"

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/26/media/nfl-ratings-trump/index.html

There is more information in the real world than "Tweets" from the occupier of the White House. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, iReason said:

Hyundai

"We stand for and respect individuals freedoms to express their first amendment rights in any peaceful manner in which they choose."  "We also stand for inclusion, freedom and all that represents those values."

Nike

“Nike supports athletes and their right to freedom of expression on issues that are of great importance to our society.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-nfl-sponsors-reacting-trumps-national-anthem-crusade-223102060.html

Don't believe the divisive Chicken Littles on this thread attempting to spread disinformation. :thumbsup:

Nike has always disagreed with Trump, so that's a no brainier.

Edited by habanero

8 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Fans will put patriotism first and sponsors will follow and may actually lead it.

Agreed. 

Patriots will support Free Speech and the right to articulate one's opinions and ideas

without fear of government retaliation or censorship, or societal sanction.

"Individuals who express unpopular views are indispensable,

as their challenges to prevailing opinions keep the search for truth, and the meaning of already discovered truths, alive."

http://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/yjlh/vol22/iss1/2/

"The aim, therefore, of patriots was to set limits to the power which the ruler should be suffered to exercise over the community; and this limitation was what they meant by liberty."

"The nation did not need to be protected against its own will."

"There is a limit to the legitimate interference of collective opinion with individual independence: and to find that limit, and maintain it against encroachment, is as indispensable to a good condition of human affairs, as protection against political despotism."

http://www.bartleby.com/130/1.html

Hyperbolic "Tweets" based on emotional immaturity and intellectual ignorance, are meaningless.

:coffee1:

On 9/26/2017 at 9:05 AM, boomerangutang said:

Of course elections are important, and everyone who is eligible to vote should get informed and vote.  However, that doesn't mean they should sit on their hands between elections and do nothing.  

The US has a rich history of peaceful demonstrations. Professional sports players, among many other Americans, are partaking in that trend, and exercising their right to peaceful protest.  

I would venture to say the same of the skinheads at Charlottesville.  They too have a right to peaceful protests.  The key word is 'peaceful.'   

However, those of us who dig deeper, are finding that white-supremacists are funding their movements by, among other things, robbing armored cars.   Yes, more than once in recent years (look up 'Ukiah'), white supremacist organizations have used automatic weapons to rob banks and armored bank vehicles.  More than a few security people have died in those incidents.

Why isn't Trump concerned about such things?  Instead, he's making a great big deal about some sportsmen kneeling during a 3 minute song.

45 and his defenders aren't concerned the act of war committed  by Russia against America either.

21 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Those that have been given the folded flag hate it !! I would rather have my young boy home any day than a frakking folded flag on the frakking table. YOU have never been given a folded flag!!

It is funny how this hysteria over the national anthem and the flag is entirely reminiscent of the muslims hysteria over disrespecting the koran or 'Mohammed'. Oh it's just a book everybody says, it's just some guy out of history, why all the fuss? Muslims going mad about nothing, going mad about burning or dissing a book. And here we are , citizens of the United States of America going mad about some dudes kneeling down during a national anthem. Have you all not noticed, one of your territories - Puerto Rico has had no power for 6 days, people are dying due to heat, poor sanitation and a lack of fresh water, but lets stay on the out rage bus about black guys kneeling during an anthem, and don't climb on the out rage bus about the complete lack of government response to 3 million US citizens suffering in a disaster area.

Isn't this about the time Kanye West chimes in with  Donald Trump hates Puerto Ricans?

6 hours ago, rijb said:

Post your stupid clips the way you want.  The rest of us have to watch out for the Fair Use Policy.

:blink:

That's awfully impetuous and impolite.

Is this better for you?

6 hours ago, iReason said:

"For the football fans who claim they are bothered seeing athletes standing up (or rather, kneeling) for the right to protest, DirecTV is caving with refunds to their sports package, the Wall Street Journal reported."

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 7.43.11 PM.png

As usual, Mrs. Betty Bowers (America's Best Christian) is on point.

Ten Things About Patriotism

1. Patriotism isn't about a racist song.

2. Worshiping a flag isn't patriotism, it's idolatry.

3. You're not a patriot if it's your only excuse to brag.

4. Patriotism is hard work*

5. Your patriotism has nothing to do with mine.

6. "Love it or leave it!" is the least patriotic thing you can say.

7. Hypocrites make the loudest patriots.

8. You're no patriot if you say MAGA!

9. Patriotism is about whet you do, not what you say.

10. Bigotry is not patriotism.

There's a lot of amusing commentary for each point, so go watch the video:

*This one's for you, Thai Visa "Patriots".

7 hours ago, inThailand said:

Yes I have read their statements. They are hedging their bets by saying they support Both sides. They can see this could into a nightmare and don't want to be caught on the wrong side of the fence.

Indeed- which is why so many of them are patriotically taking to twitter to defend the right to free speech and criticise Trump's abhorrent dog whistling.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I consider the Russian attack on the 2016 election to push it to trump to be an act of extreme aggression. No declared war of course. 

What they do?  Who did it?  How much did they spend?  What effect did it have? 

There was no attack only your ideas of an attack.  Of course I could be wrong. 

Who, what and how much and what effect did it have.  No one ever answers these questions because the answers would make CNN look silly.  Now let me predict you will mock me instead of answering my legitimate questions.  Right?

Who, what and how much and what effect did it have.  No one ever answers these questions because the answers would make CNN look silly.  Now let me predict you will mock me instead of answering my legitimate questions.  Right?
You kind of deserve it. Denial isn't pretty.

5 hours ago, selftaopath said:

45 and his defenders aren't concerned the act of war committed  by Russia against America either.

You buying that CNN propaganda story with no facts?  Who, what, how much money and what effect did it have?  Best to mock me instead of answering because no one in the news or government has actually answered those questions yet.

Wasn't Trump heavily invested in the now defunct USFL?  Perhaps his pissiness at the NFL has more obvious reasons than his tub thumping supporters suggest.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-07-30/sports/sp-18643_1_jury-finds-nfl-guilty

USFL Awarded Only $3 in Antitrust Decision : Jury Finds NFL Guilty on One of Nine Counts

NEW YORK — National Football League was found guilty Tuesday of violating an antitrust law but survived the United States Football League's $1.69-billion suit here when a bothered and bewildered jury of five women and one man awarded damages of just $1 to the failing football league.

You buying that CNN propaganda story with no facts?  Who, what, how much money and what effect did it have?  Best to mock me instead of answering because no one in the news or government has actually answered those questions yet.

CNN is about 1000 times more credible than trump Twitter president troll central.

3 minutes ago, amvet said:

Be patient.  One Mr Mueller is investigating just those issues as we speak.