Overstay: Flight booked but not enough money to pay fine.

14 minutes ago, Aditi Sharma said:

1. What are her options if she is not able to raise another 10k baht assuming she has not used any of the 10k baht she already had couple of days back?

2 How long is her friend willing to support her? What will The Girl do when her friend is no longer able to support her? Why has her friend not been able to raise 10k for her. If she is a Thai, is it possible for her to use local resources somehow which are offlimits for expats? No such thing?

3. Is the airline obliged to inform the immigration or her consulate in case of a no-show?

4. Can The Girl call and speak to her church and ask for help?

If worst comes to worst, I guess she will just wait for money to come through, I think. 

1. I think she will have it according to her earlier posts. She not has touched 10k as far as I know. She pawned a few things to get money to live on. 

2. That is asking personal questions IMO.

3. No

4. I doubt it.

Apologies for asking personal questions.

It just occured to me: would it be possible for her to apply for a credit card  and ask for it to be delivered in Thailand? Without letting the financial institution know about her emergency? Based on her credit history back home? Is that something which people in her circumstances have explored in the past?

Hi everyone, I have contacted the airline and this was their response regarding my ETD (however, they do not know about the overstay):

"Dear Passenger,

Your emergency travel document is OK to travel on board.

Please present all document at check in counter.

Have a pleasant trip."

"All document" refer to:

-ETD

-Copy of passport

-SA national I.D 

-Police report (Thai and English translation - both have to be authenticated by Thai immigration)

-Letter from the Embassy

-Proof of passport application

-Flight ticket

I have all these documents authenticated by the Thai immigration. 

Edited by The Girl

On 9/28/2017 at 10:31 AM, Aditi Sharma said:

They will check their records to find your last entry to the country then do a stamp showing your last entry/admitted until date. Do a stamp for overstay and the one year banning and stamp you out of the country on the ETD after you pay the 20k baht fine.

Will these stamps have a negative impact when I am boarding the flight? I mean, firstly, I will check-in and present the documents - no stamps yet so no problem. Then I will face immigration by handing over the 20k (politely so). And then, they will stamp "overstay and ban" on the ETD, right?

Can the airline refuse to have me on board as a result of the overstay and ban stamps? Not too sure if the airline will see these stamps before or after boarding? 

They stated that my SA national I.D is very important when I change flights in NBO.

5 minutes ago, The Girl said:

Will these stamps have a negative impact when I am boarding the flight? I mean, firstly, I will check-in and present the documents - no stamps yet so no problem. Then I will face immigration by handing over the 20k (politely so). And then, they will stamp "overstay and ban" on the ETD, right?

Can the airline refuse to have me on board as a result of the overstay and ban stamps? Not too sure if the airline will see these stamps before or after boarding? 

They stated that my SA national I.D is very important when I change flights in NBO.

You somehow quoted a post of mine under another members name.

Yes they will do all the stamps on the ETD.

The stamps immigration does will in no way affect you boarding your flight. After your you clear immigration they will only check your ETD for identification purposes or as a final check that you are allowed to enter South Africa.

• Thanks 1

There will be no mention of your overstay on the documents which you will hand to the airline check in clerk, and they will not ask you if you have overstayed... so don't worry about that.

FYI - Most airlines open their check in counters 3 hours before the flight is due to depart, so would suggest getting there as early as possible to allow sufficient time to deal with immigration.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, The Girl said:

I am not so sure -please clarify if you will -- how you managed to get all documents authenticated by the Thai immigration without being apprehended for overstaying.

Wish you a safe and happy flight! No harm posting a happy picture of yours on here upon reaching South Africa Girl:-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

I am not so sure -please clarify if you will -- how you managed to get all documents authenticated by the Thai immigration without being apprehended for overstaying.

Wish you a safe and happy flight! No harm posting a happy picture of yours on here upon reaching South Africa Girl:-)

She was still legal for another month when the passport was lost.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

She was still legal for another month when the passport was lost.

Perhaps. I think The Girl is good to go as long as she has 20k baht and does not get caught on the way to the airport. But it's been one hell of a trip these last few days, if you wanna know.

Edited by Aditi Sharma
correction

4 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Hey, I visited the Thai Legalization Division with my ETD, police report+translation and letter from the embassy. I filled out an application form for "Legalization of documents". I was told that only documents produced by Thai authorities i.e the police report and its translation can be legalized.The ETD and letter are already authentic documents as they are issued by the SA embassy.

During this process, they did not ask to see my passport, just a copy. So they have no way of knowing whether I am an overstayer or not. It seemed to me that they do not read the content and particulars on the documents submitted. You are just a ticket number. No questions about identity or legality of stay. They are just authenticating Thai documents only - division of labour is highly exercised in Thailand in that no one wants to do someone else's job if they won't be paid for it (my opinion).

Anyway, they charged me about 300bahts per page. After filling out the application, I received a ticket number, waited in line, submitted my documents and was told to return in 4 working days with the ticket. After 4 days I waited 10 minutes for the collection and walked out of the building with ZERO hesitation. I was nervous and prepared for the worst but it was the IO who assisted me. Literally, no one asked for my passport. At the Legalization Division, perhaps, they assume everyone is there to legalize valid documents so they are legal aliens. Lucky for me! Yes, this was a long time ago and my visa had expired just a few days prior(less than a week).

Edited by The Girl
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, The Girl said:

Hey, I visited the Thai Legalization Division with my ETD, police report+translation and letter from the embassy. I filled out an application form for "Legalization of documents". I was told that only documents produced by Thai authorities i.e the police report and its translation can be legalized.The ETD and letter are already authentic documents as they are issued by the SA embassy.

During this process, they did not ask to see my passport, just a copy. So they have no way of knowing whether I am an overstayer or not. It seemed to me that they do not read the content and particulars on the documents submitted. You are just a ticket number. No questions about identity or legality of stay. They are just authenticating Thai documents only - division of labour is highly exercised in Thailand in that no one wants to do someone else's job if they won't be paid for it (my opinion).

Anyway, they charged me about 300bahts per page. After filling out the application, I received a ticket number, waited in line, submitted my documents and was told to return in 4 working days with the ticket. After 4 days I waited 10 minutes for the collection and walked out of the building with ZERO hesitation. I was nervous and prepared for the worst but it was the IO who assisted me. Literally, no one asked for my passport. At the Legalization Division, perhaps, they assume everyone is there to legalize valid documents so they are legal aliens. Lucky for me! Yes, this was a long time ago and my visa had expired just a few days prior(less than a week).

From what you have described, you went to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Department of Consular Affairs - Legalisation Division. Many of us have to go there to get documents/signatures authenticated.  If the front of the building looked like the attached photo, that's where you went.... FYI... They are not part of immigration so would not have been concerned about your overstay.

Good luck 

20170726_110447-iv.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

From what you have described, you went to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Department of Consular Affairs - Legalisation Division. Many of us have to go there to get documents/signatures authenticated.  If the front of the building looked like the attached photo, that's where you went.... FYI... They are not part of immigration so would not have been concerned about your overstay.

Good luck 

20170726_110447-iv.jpg

Correct, this is the building. Good to know because I had a smooth experience there. Very sweet employees.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

From what you have described, you went to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Department of Consular Affairs - Legalisation Division. Many of us have to go there to get documents/signatures authenticated. 

They required between 10-days and 15-days of "permit to stay" verified by a copy of the permitted-stay stamp when I dealt with them a few months ago.  I had to delay verifying a doc until I got a 30-day extension, because of this.  But that was for marriage, which seems to be "discouraged" by some in authority these days (some, not all, in my experience).

Maybe if you show them an ETD, this is considered, "A Farang Leaving," so they don't enforce that requirement.

21 hours ago, 007 RED said:

There will be no mention of your overstay on the documents which you will hand to the airline check in clerk, and they will not ask you if you have overstayed... so don't worry about that.

FYI - Most airlines open their check in counters 3 hours before the flight is due to depart, so would suggest getting there as early as possible to allow sufficient time to deal with immigration.

Good luck

007Red FYI & @The GirlA Lot Of Airlines Open Check in 4 Hours before Departure....

Edited by Nong Khai Man

22 hours ago, The Girl said:

Hi everyone, I have contacted the airline and this was their response regarding my ETD (however, they do not know about the overstay):

"Dear Passenger,

Your emergency travel document is OK to travel on board.

Please present all document at check in counter.

Have a pleasant trip."

"All document" refer to:

-ETD

-Copy of passport

-SA national I.D 

-Police report (Thai and English translation - both have to be authenticated by Thai immigration)

-Letter from the Embassy

-Proof of passport application

-Flight ticket

So it looks like ALL You need is the 20k Overstay fine & You're Good to GO !!!

The Girl, Check your ticket conditions. It might be cheap to change the departure date if you need a couple more days to raise the money.. 

I was surprised that randomly looking at Oct 17 one way flight BKK-JNB on Kenya Air is only $465. Lowest economy fare. More surprising is that they allow changes on that ticket for only $75.

ADULT

Penalties

1 - PSGR P1 ADT                                   RULES DISPLAY
FARE COMPONENT  1    ADT BKKJNB KQ  ESRWTH
FCL: ESRWTH    TRF:  32 RULE: TH02 BK:  E
PTC: ADT-ADULT              FTC: XOX-ONE WAY SPECIAL EXCURSION
PE.PENALTIES
FOR ESRWTH TYPE FARES

CHANGES

BEFORE DEPARTURE
      CHARGE USD 75.00.
         NOTE -
          PENALTY APPLIES FOR EACH REISSUE/REVALIDATION FOR
          CHANGE IN FLIGHT/DATE/ROUTING AND ANY APPLICABLE
          NO-SHOW FEE. PENALTY FEES ARE NOT
          COMMISSIONABLE.
  • Thanks 1

On 29.9.2017 at 9:57 AM, JackThompson said:

I think consensus was that her ETD will not allow for going anywhere but "home" - so even if she could refund the ticket, it's a no-go.  She'd have to wait here months for her 'real' passport to finally be delivered by her embassy - the whole time on overstay.

One idea, in case she cannot raise the additional 20k THB needed, was that she leaves to a neighboring country where she can teach English to earn money for her flight. She could do so with her new passport (once she received it) and using the ticket refund (in case a refund is possible) for the overstay fine. 

It might not be the best option, but (if possible at all) a backup plan in case she cannot raise the 20k THB in time. Still better than the risk of ending up in a cell. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

One idea, in case she cannot raise the additional 20k THB needed, was that she leaves to a neighboring country where she can teach English to earn money for her flight.

And how exactly does she manage to depart to a neighbouring Country without paying the 20k overstay to get out of Thailand, plus of course, as she will then be banned, she cannot re-enter Thailand and flights to African countries from Laos, Cambodia etc. are pretty scarce.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

One idea, in case she cannot raise the additional 20k THB needed, was that she leaves to a neighboring country where she can teach English to earn money for her flight. She could do so with her new passport (once she received it) and using the ticket refund (in case a refund is possible) for the overstay fine. 

It might not be the best option, but (if possible at all) a backup plan in case she cannot raise the 20k THB in time. Still better than the risk of ending up in a cell. 

This would mean losing the flight-money, already spent because her embassy forced this air-ticket purchase to issue the ETD (a cruel rule, as it sapped her overstay-fine funds).  How much if any air-ticket money would be refundable is a factor. 

This is the same problem with turning oneself in and paying a lower overstay-fine - the pre-booked / paid flight is lost, and the only flight-option upon deportation (by the court) is 'home' - so have to raise the funds for another (even more expensive) ticket home. 

Staying longer (waiting for the permanent passport) increases the risk of winding up in detention.  But, yes, absent the remaining needed-funds being raised before her flight leaves, this would be another option.

4 hours ago, Mattd said:

And how exactly does she manage to depart to a neighbouring Country without paying the 20k overstay to get out of Thailand, plus of course, as she will then be banned, she cannot re-enter Thailand and flights to African countries from Laos, Cambodia etc. are pretty scarce.

There is no way to avoid the fine on the way out.  I would assume there are flights out of Malaysia or Singapore, which connect to flights out of Cambodia/Vietnam.

The only question is, forefit (some / all) of the flight money already spent and stay until the 'real' passport comes through, or leave sooner on a 'home only' flight.  Either way, the exit-money is necessary.

I think her decision is to try to raise the overstay-fine funds in time to make the existing flight.

2 hours ago, Aditi Sharma said:

Hi Girl, wassup?  Anybody seen her leave?

She did this topic on the 25th and wrote her flight was in 2 weeks. That would be roughly be the 9th of this month so she has about 3 more days.

I think she has been busy working to get the 10k baht she needed.

On 02/10/2017 at 12:49 AM, welovesundaysatspace said:

An ETD can be used for any country that accepts an ETD. It is not limited to your home country, however the journey or journeys allowed are noted in the ETD. 

In my case, I'm from UK, I had to show the booking (air-ticket) to and from Korea. After that journey is completed the ETD can no longer be used unless a new journey is added by the embassy or a new ETD is obtained. It is always a new ETD and they will retain the old one by the way as the cost of adding a journey is the same as a new ETD.

51 minutes ago, at15 said:

at that corrupt border in southern Cambodia, pay someone enough and they will sneak you out. 

Many a time it is the terrible thing about feeding one's folks back home makes one corrupt, seek a baksheesh, bless you if you have done that once in a while!

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

She did this topic on the 25th and wrote her flight was in 2 weeks. That would be roughly be the 9th of this month so she has about 3 more days.

I think she has been busy working to get the 10k baht she needed.

You are kind, ubonjoe, and a man. Thank you.