British man saved after slashing wrists at Pattaya condo

Jonathan Fairfield

British man saved after slashing wrists at Pattaya condo

ss1.jpg

Image: Sanook News

A British man was rushed to hospital on Wednesday after being found severely injured at his room in a condominium in Pattaya

Mr Andrew Ward, 61, reportedly from Northern Ireland, was found by his girlfriend at the condominium on Soi Chalermprakiat in Banglamung at 11.30am on Wednesday.

Mr Ward had serious injuries to both his wrists. 

Police said a knife was found in the room. 

Mr Ward was rushed to hospital where he remains in a serious condition. 

Police said they are investigating the incident but believe Mr Ward intended to kill himself. 

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-27

I do have sympathy for his situation but it could probably have been resolved by i) go home ii) get a new girlfriend iii) see a psychologist

If he was already very ill and that was the reason then I feel for him that he failed - the TVF detectives may introduce the GF into the equation but I am not saying anything

Always hate to see people in their twilight years doing things like this.  So many tried to punch out early, then ran out of money or assets or ran into other problems.   The place looks like a shit hole from that one photo.  If nothing else this re-doubles my efforts to make sure I can finish up a little more comfortable than that

Another sad case.

If he wants to kill himself he will probably succeed next month . Unless someone give him a ticket home to the UK and there will be doctors there  helping his mental condition .   

In Thailand he will not get better. 

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Always hate to see people in their twilight years doing things like this.  So many tried to punch out early, then ran out of money or assets or ran into other problems.   The place looks like a shit hole from that one photo.  If nothing else this re-doubles my efforts to make sure I can finish up a little more comfortable than that

Twilight years, he is younger than me, now I feel like slashing my wrists.

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Twilight years????? You serious with that comment?

He is but a slip of a boy compared with a lot of us on TV.:cheesy:

5 hours ago, Hong Bong Dynasty said:

unfortunately Thailand, particularly Pattaya,  is the suicide capital for older falangs.

surprised he didn't decide to end his life by jumping off the balcony.

yes .....  sadly he probably has no money to buy a ticket to go home.

most use balconies these days.

6 hours ago, Hong Bong Dynasty said:

unfortunately Thailand, particularly Pattaya,  is the suicide capital for older falangs.

surprised he didn't decide to end his life by jumping off the balcony.

Maybe lived on the ground floor!

13 hours ago, balo said:

Another sad case.

If he wants to kill himself he will probably succeed next month . Unless someone give him a ticket home to the UK and there will be doctors there  helping his mental condition .   

In Thailand he will not get better. 

Suicide is no mental condition .

2 hours ago, tomwct said:

I would be depressed to if I had to live in that condo room! It looks like one of those 2-3000 THB month. Time for this guy to head home and get some Socialized Medicine help. His living conditions couldn't get any worse.

You would have to pay me to live there ,there are far better places near where we live than that for 3k a month .

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Twilight years????? You serious with that comment?

He is but a slip of a boy compared with a lot of us on TV.:cheesy:

Well said Colinn  , and as I am aware of your disabilities over the last couple of years reading tv  you might well of had some dark moments but we olduns are still here . Hands up those on tv like me that are past their 3 score years and 10. ( in my case , on my 3 score years + 10 ).

16 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Well said Colinn  , and as I am aware of your disabilities over the last couple of years reading tv  you might well of had some dark moments but we olduns are still here . Hands up those on tv like me that are past their 3 score years and 10. ( in my case , on my 3 score years + 10 ).

Hugh Hefner just dropped of the perch in his 90's, 30 years older than this fella and he did a lot of living in that 30 year gap, proving to all that you are never too old to enjoy life. 

42 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Hugh Hefner just dropped of the perch in his 90's, 30 years older than this fella and he did a lot of living in that 30 year gap, proving to all that you are never too old to enjoy life.

I came to LoS when I was 58 and am having the best time of my life.  No more going to work in the freezing cold , no more grey days with grey skies and folk droning on about it.

3 score years and 15 !

Sent from my CAM-L21 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

75 on Wednesday - I'm having the time of my life.

On 9/28/2017 at 9:25 AM, smew said:

Suicide, a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Hope he gets professional help for the above neck area. Get better life is great, enjoy it.

Your comment is  very disrespectful. How  do you know what prompted him to do that? What if he has been diagnosed with a terminal illness and doesn't have the money to pay for medical care?

On 9/28/2017 at 5:22 AM, toofarnorth said:

I came to LoS when I was 58 and am having the best time of my life.  No more going to work in the freezing cold , no more grey days with grey skies and folk droning on about it.

That is the exact mirror image of me my friend, been here close to 6 years now and loving every day :)

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 11:00 PM, SoulWater said:

I do have sympathy for his situation but it could probably have been resolved by i) go home ii) get a new girlfriend iii) see a psychologist

If he was already very ill and that was the reason then I feel for him that he failed - the TVF detectives may introduce the GF into the equation but I am not saying anything

Chronic alcoholism which I believe is a trigger for many of these suicides can immobilize the sufferer to the point of zero hope. 

Not saying it's the case here 

17 hours ago, midas said:

Your comment is  very disrespectful. How  do you know what prompted him to do that? What if he has been diagnosed with a terminal illness and doesn't have the money to pay for medical care?

No, it is not disrespectful, life is beautiful no matter what the destiny deals you. Thai public hospitals will treat a foreigners same way they will a Thai( not same service as private hospitals) with minimum charge, Check it out and you will agree..... life is good because it is.....

Many people can have the time of their life in Pattaya or indeed elsewhere if they have enough money to do so. But there seems to be a lot of foreigners living in Thailand especially in Pattaya who have insufficient funds to provide for even a basic existence.

Some others, with or without enough money, have severe health problems including mental which makes having a good time not easy though not impossible and some sick people can thrive here in Thailand.

But foreigners should not use the public health system which is designed for Thais.

A lesson to anyone wanting to live in Thailand long term is have enough money including insurance etc., to cover any current or potential health issues.

The immigration rules for longer termers (like retirement) lays down minimum financial  requirements to get the yearly visa or extension.

Put simply:

Do not stay in Thailand if you are "skint" (without money).

And if someone runs out of money, they should return to their home country and not expect Thailand to support them.

Edited by R123

On 27/09/2017 at 11:01 PM, gk10002000 said:

So very true.....and a good remainder to the one of us who think about (too) early retirement...

12 hours ago, R123 said:

Many people can have the time of their life in Pattaya or indeed elsewhere if they have enough money to do so. But there seems to be a lot of foreigners living in Thailand especially in Pattaya who have insufficient funds to provide for even a basic existence.

Some others, with or without enough money, have severe health problems including mental which makes having a good time not easy though not impossible and some sick people can thrive here in Thailand.

But foreigners should not use the public health system which is designed for Thais.

A lesson to anyone wanting to live in Thailand long term is have enough money including insurance etc., to cover any current or potential health issues.

The immigration rules for longer termers (like retirement) lays down minimum financial  requirements to get the yearly visa or extension.

Put simply:

Do not stay in Thailand if you are "skint" (without money).

And if someone runs out of money, they should return to their home country and not expect Thailand to support them.

Agree with most what you say....however 

Quote:

"But foreigners should not use the public health system which is designed for Thais."

Unquote

If you live in Thailand than you can also make use of the Public Health System.

By legally living here you become part of the "Public".

This is not bound to Nationality....

If you work here you also pay Taxes ....

....and if you are retired then you are entitled to the same Public Health care like any Thai would be back home in Europe if he resides there legally....