Fugitive ex-PM Yingluck Shinawatra seeks asylum in UK

snoop1130

1 minute ago, PAIBKK said:

I have been there every summer between 1977 and 1999. The regattas (offshore races) that I joined were always wet, cold and windy !!! Cowes week, Ramsgate week, Fastnet race

oh. and I know what a regatta is but thanks for letting me know. I also know what the RYA is believe it or not! was also brought up on sailing. started out in the little optimists and went on to lazers. stopped after my teens. shame should take it up again. thanks for the thought, will look into it. 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Obviously, you don't know what decent people in the world think about Thailand and its Military Junta, People get Asylum in the UK just for coming from a country with a Military Junta so persecuted ex-PM will sail through, might have a long legal process but in the end, she will win. Not many countries who have legal Military coups unless you rewrite a constitution of course but who on earth would keep doing that?

No such beast as a "legal military coup" but there is a "popular ousting of corrupt criminals by military", which is what happened here. Yingluck will simply follow the murderer Gen. Pinochet, Thatcher's pal. The UK welcomes any criminal with enough money. I've seen a dozen coups here, all by military brats who didn't get a promotion or their share of the loot. This latest was popular and the military under Prayut have cleaned up a lot of the corruption. Rooting out Thaksin's cronies will take time, though. He did a lot of damage during his "democratic" rule. 

5 minutes ago, jorj44 said:

She has a Thai passport, and no doubt will soon get a spare from an amenable country, if one has not been organised for her already.

She already has a Nicaraguan passport. Her brother has a Montenegrin one. Passports are no problem with money.

16 hours ago, tomwct said:

England has an extradition agreement with Thailand, so if Thailand requests extradition she'll be returning home!

No chance. 

Thai  prime minister , will  not request extradition , part of the escape plan .

Edited by elliss

2 minutes ago, elliss said:

No chance. 

Thai  prime minister , will  not request extradition , part of the escape plan .

I agree. This charade is the best way out of a very Thai problem. "Old friends" agree. It's a giggle, the police trying to keep a straight face when they all know. Prayut (if it was his idea) played it right. The thieving witch joins her thieving brother and will soon be forgot. Another US "regime change" gone awry, because the Americans always pick congenital criminals. 

16 hours ago, Reigntax said:

Good for her. She can live in a country where the basis of law and rights was drafted almost 800 years ago rather than redrafted every 4 years.

Agree.

It's a pity then that she didn't adopt some of the British "law and rights " when she was the puppet PM of Thailand. I would think now that she is only too willing to obey British law where she isn't in a position to totally shaft the poor people.....

It is strange how many correspondents casually refer to the Shinawatra's as "thieves." Where is the evidence? I am aware of no evidence, apart from their wealth, that bears out these allegations.

There are a lot of wealthy people in the world. Are they all thieves?

Convictions by the Thai legal system are not evidence, allegations of income tax evasion are not evidence. They are evidence only, in the minds of the envious.

Is there a single dishonest act, by either or them, that has actually been documented?

Edited by jorj44
afterthought

44 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

No such beast as a "legal military coup" but there is a "popular ousting of corrupt criminals by military", which is what happened here. Yingluck will simply follow the murderer Gen. Pinochet, Thatcher's pal. The UK welcomes any criminal with enough money. I've seen a dozen coups here, all by military brats who didn't get a promotion or their share of the loot. This latest was popular and the military under Prayut have cleaned up a lot of the corruption. Rooting out Thaksin's cronies will take time, though. He did a lot of damage during his "democratic" rule. 

Who did Yingluck murder?

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Fugitive ex-PM Yingluck Shinawatra seeks asylum in UK

By Coconuts Bangkok

refgdh.JPG

Photo: Reuters

Former PM Yingluck Shinawatra, who fled a court ruling for criminal negligence last month, is allegedly in London and seeking political asylum in the UK, a source from her Pheu Thai Party told CNN yesterday.

Yingluck, 50, made a dramatic disappearance despite being heavily monitored and was a no-show at her Aug. 25 ruling for corruption charges. On Wednesday, the Supreme Court sentenced her to five years in prison, a verdict read in absentia after she fled the kingdom.

Yingluck’s administration was toppled in a 2014 coup and she was later put on trial for negligence over her government’s rice subsidy scheme, which is said to have cost the country billions of dollars.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/fugitive-ex-pm-yingluck-shinawatra-seeks-asylum-uk/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-09-29

She can come and stay at my place if she wants, I have a 1 bedroom Flat!

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You don't know that as a fact. In fact, it's entirely possible that she and/or members of her clan did benefit financially from all the nefarious activities that went on with the rice subsidy program, including fake government sales, commissions to rice brokers, etc.

Possible; yes.

Investigated; possibly.

Charged with; nope…… She was found guilty of negligence in the administration of G2G deals, not of profiting from them.

18 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Obviously, you don't know what decent people in the world think about Thailand and its Military Junta, People get Asylum in the UK just for coming from a country with a Military Junta so persecuted ex-PM will sail through, might have a long legal process but in the end, she will win. Not many countries who have legal Military coups unless you rewrite a constitution of course but who on earth would keep doing that?

Wouldn't be too sure.  Thaksin wasn't allowed residency in the UK so why would his criminal sister be?  The majority of people in the UK would say Yingluk who? whereas most know Thaksin is a wanted criminal.

18 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Given that the government here found she had no assets she is probably already on benefits.

4 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Wouldn't be too sure.  Thaksin wasn't allowed residency in the UK so why would his criminal sister be?  The majority of people in the UK would say Yingluk who? whereas most know Thaksin is a wanted criminal.

You are big on the "criminal". If they subjected you to the same sham kangaroo court you would be screaming the house down.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Again someone who did not read the verdict.

She was convicted because Boonsong did fake G2G trades (costing the country 30 billion). People made remarks about the fake trades and as a result YL removed Boonsong in 2013 (thereby acknowledging the fake trades). She however did NOT cancel the trades (probably because some that were profiting from them were linked to her brother). She is charged for not preventing corruption while she had clear knowledge of it. Negligence. 

I wonder why so many people post who actually don't even know why she was sentenced. I guess its easier to call it a witch hunt then to accept the charges were real. The judges did not make any judgement about the rice scheme itself. They only commented on the corruption and her knowledge of it and neglect to stop it. That is a crime anywhere. Just imagine if a minister knows about corruption in the UK but does not stop it because parties linked with his family are benefiting from it. 

This was not about the policy it self but the fake G2G trades.. trades with China that were never exported to China and that were denied by the Chinese government. This rice was sold at a low price to fake representatives of China, did and resold for the high rice program price in Thailand costing the state 30 billion. The traders who benefited were linked to YL her brother. 

This was all known back in the 2013 but hard to prove as YL and her government did her best to stop any investigations and claimed no corruption. When she lost her power finally a good investigation exposed it and proved it without a shadow of a doubt. 

• Finally a voice with some accuracy.......with respect to Boonsong
  • In hindsight, she should have cancelled the G2G trades and started an investigation, but she didn't, voila, guilty of negligence to prevent the loss of Billions.  
  • Only Time will tell if she benefits from not cancelling the G2G trades - maybe evidenced by a substantial increase in her bank accounts in the Isle of Wight

:post-4641-1156694083:

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Again someone who did not read the verdict.

She was convicted because Boonsong did fake G2G trades (costing the country 30 billion). People made remarks about the fake trades and as a result YL removed Boonsong in 2013 (thereby acknowledging the fake trades). She however did NOT cancel the trades (probably because some that were profiting from them were linked to her brother). She is charged for not preventing corruption while she had clear knowledge of it. Negligence. 

I wonder why so many people post who actually don't even know why she was sentenced. I guess its easier to call it a witch hunt then to accept the charges were real. The judges did not make any judgement about the rice scheme itself. They only commented on the corruption and her knowledge of it and neglect to stop it. That is a crime anywhere. Just imagine if a minister knows about corruption in the UK but does not stop it because parties linked with his family are benefiting from it. 

This was not about the policy it self but the fake G2G trades.. trades with China that were never exported to China and that were denied by the Chinese government. This rice was sold at a low price to fake representatives of China, did and resold for the high rice program price in Thailand costing the state 30 billion. The traders who benefited were linked to YL her brother. 

This was all known back in the 2013 but hard to prove as YL and her government did her best to stop any investigations and claimed no corruption. When she lost her power finally a good investigation exposed it and proved it without a shadow of a doubt. 

The verdict is irrelevant when it comes to extradition. If the charge / conviction relates to something which is a criminal offence in one country, but is not in the other, there will be no extradition.

Would such negligence amount to a criminal offence in the UK?

The verdict and sentence is relevant when it comes to an application for political asylum……… It would surely strengthen her case.

28 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Thaksin does have residency in the UK, but he enters using his non- thai diplomatic passport, hence UK can't and won't do anything about him. Just to clear the facts. He has homes in UK, Dubai, China, Hong Kong, and Singapore to name a few.

1 hour ago, jorj44 said:

It is strange how many correspondents casually refer to the Shinawatra's as "thieves." Where is the evidence? I am aware of no evidence, apart from their wealth, that bears out these allegations.

There are a lot of wealthy people in the world. Are they all thieves?

Convictions by the Thai legal system are not evidence, allegations of income tax evasion are not evidence. They are evidence only, in the minds of the envious.

Is there a single dishonest act, by either or them, that has actually been documented?

Documented? Don't be silly . . . they're too smart for that.

Edited by Ossy
Message clarity

Extradition is complicated and while a treaty may exist it still depends on many other factors including the crime and the state of the government.  Others have already said that our courts tend not to look kindly on military junta's or any government that is un-elected and or the result of a coup.  Her "crime" is negligence which is seemingly political rather than criminal.  I suspect that in theory most politicians could be accused of negligence at some time in their careers!  I think it is more than possible that she could get asylum here.

Personally I would not be against my government giving her asylum and I also wonder if it is not the best solution for Thailand as well.  She still has a lot of popular support outside of Bangkok and putting her in jail will simply make her a kind of martyr to many people.  Once released she could still become a rallying point for unrest even if she personally would be barred from holding office.  The best thing that Thailand can do I feel is let the saga rest and the news story die a death.  Then as quickly as possible organise free elections AND accept the outcome of those elections no matter how popular the choice is among the elite.