5,000 retired teachers to be recruited to ease teachers’ shortage on temporary basis

rooster59

5,000 retired teachers to be recruited to ease teachers’ shortage on temporary basis

Teacher-retired_29sep17.jpg

In wake of mass retirement of about 20,000 teachers at the end of September, the Teachers and Educational Personnel Committee has decided to re-employ on temporary basis some 5,000 retired teachers to ease the shortage of teachers in schools.

Mr Boonrak Yodpetch, secretary-general of Basic Education Commission, said Friday that altogether 19,962 teachers in 11,326 schools retired at the end of September which marks the end of the fiscal year of the government and this has affected many schools which immediately experience shortage of teachers.

He said the Teachers and Educational Personnel Committee agreed to fill up all the vacancies and instructed educational offices throughout the country to start the employment process.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/5000-retired-teachers-recruited-ease-teachers-shortage-temporary-basis/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-30

I still don't understand teacher shortages.  My two step-daughters went to teacher training colleges and received (toilet) paper qualifications.  They motor about the country taking tests to get further papers.  

On one interview the unprincipled principle let it be known that 300,000 would secure the position.

Let's us examine the logic in this article... 5,000 retired teachers has to fill the places of 20,000 teachers who just retired?

i winder when some of the 20,000 will have to called to duty when the next batch

of teachers will retire....

22 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Let's us examine the logic in this article... 5,000 retired teachers has to fill the places of 20,000 teachers who just retired?

i winder when some of the 20,000 will have to called to duty when the next batch

of teachers will retire....

And what percent of those 5000 will they really get ? 5000 is just the quoted recruited number; if they were retired and knew that the class sizes might be larger due to lack of teachers, they might not want to come back

I started teaching in Thailand 7 years ago. Class sizes at this private school were 24 students max. Now they're all 32 to 34. These poor students are stacked nearly on top of each other and some can't see the board up front. Pay raises are less than 50% for all teachers than when I originally started. And the level of difficulty Thailand has created to authorize a legal teacher has made it so no one really wants to come here any more, especially when you have too many neighboring countries who make it SO much easier to attract quality educators. Forget education, it's now all about the money.

6 hours ago, kotsak said:

I see they are bringing in new blood with fresh ideas.. :giggle:

Thousands of senile "old school" teachers will definitely help the bright guys at the helm to achieve their imagination of Thailand 4.0 Better to spend the money on tanks and submarines instead of education to prevent future disobedience :cheesy::shock1::cheesy:

Edited by Lupatria

The retirement age for Civil Servants (of which school teachers are a part) is age 60 like it or not. Amongst the retirees are some good teachers who would have continued happily to (say) age 65 retirement. Given the current shortage of teachers the Junta should offer to re-hire recently retired teachers with appropriate compensation.

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Especially if they only re employ those with no history of beating on kids.

TEFL teachers would never, never ever beat kids...But TEFL teachers are "farang"....I had the pleasure to teach as a TEFL teacher...It was one of the most satisfying experiences in my life...teaching those children in the "TEFL" way and see and feel how they enjoyed it (I even enjoyed it maybe more)...But, unfortunately...this is not really corresponding the "ancient Thai " way.

12 hours ago, mikebell said:

I still don't understand teacher shortages.  My two step-daughters went to teacher training colleges and received (toilet) paper qualifications.  They motor about the country taking tests to get further papers.  

On one interview the unprincipled principle let it be known that 300,000 would secure the position.

I hope she told him to go forth and multiple

But in a nice polite way

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

this has affected many schools which immediately experience shortage of teachers.

Obviously it came as a surprise.... :cheesy:... nah, just your typical shoddy management, as might be expected in this neck of the woods.

15 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Thousands of senile "old school" teachers will definitely help the bright guys at the helm to achieve their imagination of Thailand 4.0 Better to spend the money on tanks and submarines instead of education to prevent future disobedience :cheesy::shock1::cheesy:

Unbelievable that this govt is buying submarines ! 

What for ? Maybe to massage the  head-sherang's ego (and possibly his bank account as well) ?

What a waste of money !   They've got their priorities totally wrong !

It's so apparent to an outsider, that most of Thailand's major problems are the result of lack of good education. 

Faffing about underwater in the gulf of Thailand will bring so much benefit to the people - NOT.

17 hours ago, janpharma said:

TEFL teachers would never, never ever beat kids...But TEFL teachers are "farang"....I had the pleasure to teach as a TEFL teacher...It was one of the most satisfying experiences in my life...teaching those children in the "TEFL" way and see and feel how they enjoyed it (I even enjoyed it maybe more)...But, unfortunately...this is not really corresponding the "ancient Thai " way.

Ah, Thai culture again.  I am always being accused of pointing out where slavery to inappropriate traditions is the main thing holding this place back.  Guilty as charged.   I doubt that Falang TEFL teachers have any of being among the 5000 retired teachers being reemployed.   But I may be wrong.  Good on them if they do benefit. 

Edited by The Deerhunter

17 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I hope she told him to go forth and multiple

But in a nice polite way

Why be polite, she should have taped the interview and stuck on social media - there was nothing to lose, no bribe no job. 

Edited by Artisi

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Why be polite, she should have taped the interview and stuck on social media - there was nothing to lose, no bribe no job. 

Because sometimes you don’t want to lower yourself to the level of these people but agree with the taping and posting

On 9/30/2017 at 1:50 PM, Lupatria said:

Yes, and with all the old-timers coming back, you can bet that the continuing array of beatings, throwings, assaults, etc will continue apace. Old habits are hard to break.