Have A Question? Anyone in the know?

cyberfarang

In December this year my cousin, who is an American citizen, will be flying from Australia and will stop off at Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi Airport) for 8 hours in transit to America and I would like to fly from Chiang Mai airport and meet her there during her stopover at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

My question is: as she will be air side and I will be on the public side, is there a special area where passengers in transit can meet general visitors at the airport? Or is it a case whereas she won`t be allowed to leave air side and I won`t be able to gain access to meet her?

Much appreciate if anyone could provide me with information on this. 

Just curious can't she just pass customs to come to you and later show her boarding pass to go back into the air side ? I have heard that people with long stopovers could get out of air-side even go into the city if need be. 

I have no real experience so I could be wrong.

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just curious can't she just pass customs to come to you and later show her boarding pass to go back into the air side ? I have heard that people with long stopovers could get out of air-side even go into the city if need be. 

She can of course...but she'll have to get a visa exempt to do it I think

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don`t know and why I`m asking.

As I understand it, US citizens are given visa exemption. That means she can exit airside with no problems, and re-enter via immigration when she likes. The only pain is that she'll have to do immigration, and the queues that involves. If her luggage is checked through to her connecting flight, she won't have to worry about that, just carry her hand baggage with her.

I can't see any problem at all. On one occasion when I was travelling with my daughter from BKK to LHR, we had a ten hour stopover in Dubai. We went out into the city to do some sightseeing, and then returned to the airport to catch our connection. We didn't need a visa, so it was easy and straightforward. It should be the same for your cousin.

25 minutes ago, nisakiman said:

As I understand it, US citizens are given visa exemption. That means she can exit airside with no problems, and re-enter via immigration when she likes. The only pain is that she'll have to do immigration, and the queues that involves. If her luggage is checked through to her connecting flight, she won't have to worry about that, just carry her hand baggage with her.

I can't see any problem at all. On one occasion when I was travelling with my daughter from BKK to LHR, we had a ten hour stopover in Dubai. We went out into the city to do some sightseeing, and then returned to the airport to catch our connection. We didn't need a visa, so it was easy and straightforward. It should be the same for your cousin.

Thanks. Posting on TV was worth a shot in case someone had a similar experience and could tell me 100%.

Don`t fancy flying to Bangkok from Chiang Mai on a wasted trip. Think it`s probably best that I contact the Bangkok immigration at the airport directly and ask them.

My daughter flies London-Australia return via Bangkok at least once a year. On the return journey she always schedules her flights so she can get the airport link into town and then goes clothes shopping for a couple of hours before returning for her connecting flight later that day. It's no problem if your bags are checked through to final destination.

13 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Thanks. Posting on TV was worth a shot in case someone had a similar experience and could tell me 100%.

Don`t fancy flying to Bangkok from Chiang Mai on a wasted trip. Think it`s probably best that I contact the Bangkok immigration at the airport directly and ask them.

There is nowhere that she can meet you whilst she is international air side and not cleared in to the country, it is not possible for transiting passengers to mix with domestic passengers, the only way that you could meet with her is for her to pass through immigration and customs, then you could meet somewhere. She would need to allow say 2 - 3 hours of the 8 hours for immigration etc. to be safe, if you think it is worth flying to see her for 5 hours, then it might be worth her while, personally, I can't imagine a worse airport to spend 8 hours in transit than BKK!

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

There is nowhere that she can meet you whilst she is international air side and not cleared in to the country, it is not possible for transiting passengers to mix with domestic passengers, the only way that you could meet with her is for her to pass through immigration and customs, then you could meet somewhere. She would need to allow say 2 - 3 hours of the 8 hours for immigration etc. to be safe, if you think it is worth flying to see her for 5 hours, then it might be worth her while, personally, I can't imagine a worse airport to spend 8 hours in transit than BKK!

Manchester airport.

She can easily pass through Immigration.  She will have to fill out the "Arrivals/Departure card" and present that to Immigration.  In the box for "address in Thailand", she needs only to write "Transit"

The large "Mega Bang Na" shopping mall with many restaurant selections is only a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport...nice place to hang out.

Disregard the Immigration/Security horror stories of 2 hour waits, I go through more than 40 times a year and never, ever more than 45 minutes.

There was a situation at Don Muang a few months ago with very long waiting times when a bunch of late flights hit at the same time but that is most unlikely.

No need for a US citizen to stay air-side.

She can go through immigration and get a 30 day visa exempt stamp at no cost.

Going back through immigration gives a departure stamp.

Both simple small stamps.

Curious: baggage will be checked through?

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Disregard the Immigration/Security horror stories of 2 hour waits, I go through more than 40 times a year and never, ever more than 45 minutes.

The situation has improved after deployment of 200 additional immigration officers but the stories were real in the past.

4 hours ago, Mattd said:

Thank you very much Mattd. This is what I`ve been told by a couple of people I know and you have confirmed it. She would be able to leave air side but would have to face the immigration procedure that could take anytime according to how busy they are on the day. My cousin is 80 and wouldn`t want to put her through all the hassle considering she to fly on to the States after that.

She is 80 years old and does the trip from Australia to the US.

A two stop trip (as there are no nonstop flights from Bangkok to the US).

And you think passing immigration in Bangkok is hassle?

BTW persons from the age of 70 have access to the fast track (avoiding possible queues).

I went through swampy last week, the security checks are a (necessary) pain in the butt to be honest, we were in the queue for about 50 minutes by which time my bad back was giving me right gyp, then it's back downstairs to go through passport control, which took a further 50 minutes, by then I was in agony, I really don't know a way around it, I don't fly much these days if I can help it.

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Thank you very much Mattd. This is what I`ve been told by a couple of people I know and you have confirmed it. She would be able to leave air side but would have to face the immigration procedure that could take anytime according to how busy they are on the day. My cousin is 80 and wouldn`t want to put her through all the hassle considering she to fly on to the States after that.

Take a look at the BFS website ... https://www.bangkokflightservices.com/home/bfs-services/premium-airport-services/

For a fee, your cousin can be met off the plane on arrival and taken by golf cart through immigration via the fast track system. She can also use BFS for departure - another fee of course.

Whenever I have family visiting Thailand I book the arrival service for them, and it is always appreciated - No walking, no long queues and really polite welcoming staff. Never used the departure service, but I expect it would be just as good.

12 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

@chickenslegs was faster.

Came to my mind late yesterday.

If you really dare to see your cousin spend those extra bucks.

Also you do her a favor as she would have to leave the plane anyway and wander around/spend almost 8 hours (!) in this boring excessively overpriced air site area.

So they can pick her up at the plane and cart her through to meet you.

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Also you do her a favor as she would have to leave the plane and wander around/spent almost 8 hours (!) in this boring overpriced air site area.

+1 As a transit airport BKK is terrible, for a 80 year old it really will be a horrible experience.