Thai chef attacks foreign owner in Pattaya Soi 7

webfact

The original article states that the Thai guy was a "former" employee ( he may have quit 6 months ago), nothing about he was working at the time of the incident or quit giving an hours notice , in breech of contract etc. 

The Thai guy returned to the restaurant to obtain a document, presumably needed for continued social security benefits or coverage.

It appears for whatever reason the employer has been unable, or refused, to provide the document and an argument has ensured.

Not justifying the Thai guys violence, but he may have ever reason in the world to be angry if the employer will not issue a document needed for social security coverage for himself and family.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

No, nobody wants a chef that don´t want to cook no more.

However, it probably has something to do with that the chef wanted to stop the same day and hour. Here it is very sure that something in his contract and agreement says that he will have to inform a certain time in advance. Almost every restaurant have that for not stand in the shit in minutes.

As all other people in this country, the man couldn´t accept what he most probably agreed to when starting. That´s whats wrong!

Possibly. But Thai people don't plan ahead and genuinely expect everyone else to fit in with what they want to do the minute they decide to do it. The Chef probably would've worked the notice period if previously agreed - but only if the owner made it worth his while!

The one sided, blinkered, center of the universe mentality never ceases to amaze me. But it's examples are everywhere.

16 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Possibly. But Thai people don't plan ahead and genuinely expect everyone else to fit in with what they want to do the minute they decide to do it. The Chef probably would've worked the notice period if previously agreed - but only if the owner made it worth his while!

The one sided, blinkered, center of the universe mentality never ceases to amaze me. But it's examples are everywhere.

Read the original newspaper article, it uses the term "former chef/employee" 3-4 times. The guy had already quit, maybe a year ago. 

Nothing states, that he quit on the night of the incident or without giving notice. He came in to ask for a document.

The victim told police that his former chef, who had been working for him for the last 2 years had handed in his notice, after finding a better job elsewhere. He had come in to ask for a release statement to give to his new employer, in which the victim refused.

Former, Had and after, would all imply past tense.

Edited by Peterw42

18 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Read the original newspaper article, it uses the term "former chef/employee" 3-4 times. The guy had already quit, maybe a year ago. 

Nothing states, that he quit on the night of the incident or without giving notice. He came in to ask for a document.

The victim told police that his former chef, who had been working for him for the last 2 years had handed in his notice, after finding a better job elsewhere. He had come in to ask for a release statement to give to his new employer, in which the victim refused.

Former, Had and after, would all imply past tense.

I couldn't open the original article so thank you for the detail. Get a lot of "502 bad gateway" notices these days and have quite a few problems with the TVF system command buttons.

There is an implication of past tense for sure. 

We don't know if they parted on good company but seemingly not; or if the release statement/reference had been requested several times and the owner was being difficult or if he chef suddenly demanded it their and then.

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

Technically, that's not loyalty.  That's quid pro quo.  Not the same thing.  We have treated staff like family but any sense of loyalty is more often overcome by an internal desire to sleep all day that eventually wins out.  You are talking about a handful of people as I am I but generally speaking the original post was accurate, true loyalty is hard to come by.

Loyalty goes both ways, and most companies I've ever worked for would have laid me off if that could add $0.50 to this quarter's P&L statement.  I've even had buddies  back home fired a month before their retirement date just so they wouldn't be fully vested.  It only seems reasonable that employees nowadays show them the same "loyalty".   And that's certainly not unique to Thailand. 

Many guys posting here spent their entire career in an environment where they could spend an entire career working their way up one company's ladder, with a defined benefit pension as their retention bonus.  Those days are long gone in the private sector. 

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Oh dear! I just stated a common fact. Nothing is better at all. That´s my opinion, and I will stand for it. 

You can continue live in the world where it´s not so bad, because there is always something worse.
Great excuse to have handy for the rest of you life. 

No, I rectified your thesis a tad and mine in the process. It is not so bad here in the North of Thailand BEFORE 11 p.m., say, but after 2 a.m. and some drinking, I am sure it is a bit different for all involved. That's not just in Thailand, mind you. 

57 minutes ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

No, I rectified your thesis a tad and mine in the process. It is not so bad here in the North of Thailand BEFORE 11 p.m., say, but after 2 a.m. and some drinking, I am sure it is a bit different for all involved. That's not just in Thailand, mind you. 

And that was relevant how? Are you trying to say that a violent act that happened in a sober stage before 11 p.m. are more trivial than a violent act made after 2 a.m. in a drunken stage is much more bad and important?

Because that was exactly what you established with that comment.:clap2:

Edited by Get Real

9 hours ago, Get Real said:

As usual probably a much younger man beating on a 66 year old. With a crasch-helmet too.
It´s fantastic to once again read about the fantastic courage that exists in the Thai man.

Very unusual....where we're the othe 2 Thai Chefs with lumps of wood. 

1 hour ago, Currumbin said:

Very unusual....where we're the othe 2 Thai Chefs with lumps of wood. 

Oh Yes! I get it. You are also one of thoose that hear the made up stories from the ones that been here long enough to had their brains wasted from enough alcohol.

I good advice. Don´t hang on everything you hear or read.

11 hours ago, Get Real said:

Okey! I got it the way that they called him ex-chef just because he had left immediately and the owner didn´t want to see him nomore.

Maybe I am totally wrong, but if he is already gone from the place. What is, and what does, a release statement do for him?

Don't know how you came to the conclusion you did. From the information given, no one will ever figure out exactly what happened.  We don't know when the "former" chef quit. Nor will we know why the owner refused to give him a release from his contract.  Unfortunately the six pages of comments here will bring no resolution to what actually happened. The comments by posters after the Pattaya One article are more entertaining than anything else.  Seems like no rules there at all. 

13 hours ago, mok199 said:

no excuse for this behavior.the lack of professionalism in Thailand is the problem..no training no laws no morals no respect..and above all NO SHAME...

The simple fact is -- there are good and not so good folks in every nationality.

To condemn the population of an entire country based on one's knee-jerk reaction

to a few people with perceived shortcomings displays a mental laziness leading to

sweeping generalizations and lack of sensible judgment that seems to be much too

common on this forum. 

It is axiomatic and should be intuitive that People Are All Human. To try to convince

oneself otherwise is an exercise in buffoonery.

The question I have is: Why is it that so many farangs come to Thailand and then

rant and rave on and on for years about how Thai people's character and morals are

so much inferior to their own.

Such rampant xenophobia is so transparent. It doesn't fool anyone. Give it up.

On 10/2/2017 at 3:19 PM, Get Real said:

And that was relevant how? Are you trying to say that a violent act that happened in a sober stage before 11 p.m. are more trivial than a violent act made after 2 a.m. in a drunken stage is much more bad and important?

Because that was exactly what you established with that comment.

NOPE! You are saying. You and only you. It happens to be your stupid inference. 

You are saying that this man was attacked by a young Thai which makes the Thai man picking on an old man and I pointed out that usually foreigners are much taller than Thais (meaning it is not so one-sided as you make it to be).

Earlier you said:

In your case you just tried to defended a violent act made by a person that reached the limit of his abilities to express himself in words.

I am not  defending anyone. I believe most Thai man would have a tough time expressing themselves in English ... and vice versa, a foreigner into Thai.

The only thing that suddenly got smaller in that case, was you.

Language does add to the problem. But, so does alcohol.

It remains that fights are not irrelevant at 11 am. That's what you inferred and that is not what I was trying to say.  Who would make this stupid inference anyway? I am saying there is more of a LIKELIHOOD that one could get attacked by someone when they are drunk at 2 a.m. BECAUSE ONE or BOTH are even less aware. In this case, who knows. Maybe one of them or both got a head start.

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

On 10/2/2017 at 6:16 AM, webfact said:

Thai chef attacks foreign owner in Pattaya Soi 7

By Online Admin -

44.jpg?fit=3840,2160

PATTAYA: -- A former Thai chef at the popular Mexican restaurant, Tequila Reef, in Pattaya Soi 7 has attacked the boss after a heated argument.

At around 10pm on September 30th, Police were called down to Soi 7 in Pattaya, to the Tequila Reef restaurant in particular, where an attack had taken place.

Arriving at the scene, they found the 66 year old American owner with a small cut above his left eye. He was a little shaken up by the incident, but was said to be in a stable condition, with no serious injuries.

Full story: http://pattayaone.news/en/thai-chef-attacks-foreign-owner/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2017-10-02

We get a nice, big picture, but not 4 lines to make the story full:

"The victim told police that his former chef, who had been working for him for the last 2 years had handed in his notice, after finding a better job elsewhere. He had come in to ask for a release statement to give to his new employer, in [sic] which the victim refused.

Why did he refuse?

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

Trust me, usually they just walk away and are no-show the next day - forever.

Favourable days are 16th (the day after tips are being paid out) or 1st (after payday).

Contract? CONTRACT? Which contract? In all those many years I had two staff resigning according to the contract; these were the only ones which got their full share of tip/salary and a testimonial; all the others lost a part of their tip (to the rest of the team who had to work harder until replacement was found) or a part of their salary (which went into the tip box for the rest of the team who had to work harder until replacement was found).

Never came across a less loyal work force than the Thais. There must be more behind the story or Somchai was stoned/drunk or both! 

On 10/2/2017 at 7:32 AM, Get Real said:

No, nobody wants a chef that don´t want to cook no more.

However, it probably has something to do with that the chef wanted to stop the same day and hour. Here it is very sure that something in his contract and agreement says that he will have to inform a certain time in advance. Almost every restaurant have that for not stand in the shit in minutes.

As all other people in this country, the man couldn´t accept what he most probably agreed to when starting. That´s whats wrong!

Get real, Get Real. Assumption, assumption, assumption.