Rising Islamophobia In Thailand Irrational And Dangerous: Scholars

webfact

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

Muslims always take over ,especially places that had or have another religion in it , in The UK ,Golders Green is the heart of the Jewish community , they have just bought the theatre there  and are converting it to a muslim centre . 

be afraid ,be very afraid .

Nah, I won't.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Austria just turned up the heat on the no full veil deal. But his applies to all people and other face covering things.

Wrestling with these issues in the U.S. Where all religions are supposed to be equal. My thought is that face coverings should be banned for all as a security necessity. The call to prayer 5 times a day should be restricted as noise pollution, same as loud mufflers (or lack thereof). No need to focus on any one belief, address issues as equally applied in the name of living in a society at peace with one another.

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, I know some people will groan, but in my view it is religious majorities in various countries that are more of a risk than religious minorities.

So it is more than OK to condemn oppression of non-Muslims in Saudi Arabia (or even Muslim oppression of other Muslims), genocide of Muslim Rohingya in mostly Buddhist Myanmar,  extremist Christian motivated right wing terrorism in the USA, the occupation of the west bank by the Jewish state of Israel, etc. 

But Muslims when they are a minority really do get an unfair bad rap. 

Moving against them too harshly only fuels more of them to get involved with radical violent dogmas.

It doesn't have to be that way in Thailand.

I suggest the Thai government get involved in an early educational requirement to teach peaceful coexistence and tolerance of different religions and races to very young children. That's a good start anyway. 

Islam cannot and never will be able to peacefully coexist with, or tolerate any other religion; why, because muslims have a fundamental imperative to convert the world to Islam; and it is more than a religion, it is a medieval culture being practised in the present day. It is misogynistic, homophobic and anti democratic. It preaches and practices gender inequality, whereby men are taught at a very young age that it is a woman’s responsibility not to arouse him (burkha) and that if she does arouse him (any normal clothing) and he feels like raping her, that it is ultimately her fault; this Islamic teaching is hundreds of years old, as is the teachings to kill any infidels/unbelievers, but unfortunately, these ancient teachings are being taught by thousands of imam’s throughout the world as a present day dictum, instead of being confined to history, where they belong. I find it bizarre that this repressive religious/political system gets so much support from the liberal/left, that purports to have a completely opposite philosophy. Islam is a huge danger to civilisation as we know it; don't listen to anything they say, just watch what they do carefully, very, very carefully. 

19 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The rise is not only in Thailand but also around the world and with good cause.

On a local level I hear the mosques seem to be calling prayer a lot louder than before. Just annoying people.

Internationally well the UK, France, Belgium, Canada just a few places to mention have a justifiable cause to start hating Islam. juts see the TV on a weekly basis and the acts of terror in the name of Islam will see why people are detesting it.

The rise of extremist hate is not only among Muslims.

Your one-sided, bigoted, prejudiced and blind comment bears witness to that, as do most of the comments on this thread, who are only too happy to jump once more on the 'Let's Hate All Muslims Collectively and Blame Them For All Our Problems' wagon.

When you start generalizing in such a manner and start considering different cultures as 'the ennemy', you give up your ability to think as a rational and mature human being. You become a mere puppet, caught up in a general phenomenon.

The rise of Islamic extremism (which is very real, there's no denying that) and the parallel rise of anti-islamic hysteria are signs that we are in a pre-war social context, where reason is set aside and preconceived ideas become the norm. Wars happen when people become collectively bipolar.

Edited by Yann55

7 hours ago, smudger1951 said:

This is the sort of comment the Mayor of London would make dismissing the many islamic inspired attacks as part of living in major city. 

No, it is the comment a sane person would make!

8 hours ago, cookieqw said:

but your great great grandchildren are more likely to be in an islamic society, that is their goal,  that is why they are cautious about blaming other more extreme muslims . my opinion about the EU

Need some more tin- foil?

12 hours ago, wotaplonker said:

but an incompetent driver doesn't want to colonise and then take control of all elements of one's life,

from what food you are allowed to eat, what books you read, what kind of sex you have, what kind of government you have,

and fundamentally what thoughts you have !

Cheers

Sure not...oh wait...Thailand...

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

To be honest I'm not dangerously close to mocking. I am directly mocking the fact that people are actually believing it.

Whose god sent the guy to the hotel in Vegas on Sunday or was someones devil? 

Remember, if you believe in a god you must believe in a devil.

If it's a god that sends terrorists to kill others on the streets shouldn't there be another 'good god' to stop them?

Did the victim's gods want them to die in cases of terrorism and why?

On topic I believe that those of any faith should sit quietly at home and practice it to their hearts content ad all kinds of religious 'garb' should not be worn outside the home. Nor should it blasted from speakers at places of worship.

You missed one very important and essential thing. Religion is something that people believe in.
That a small percentage of people chooses to adapt a wierd and sinister view of the religion, has nothing to do with the real view.
No religion is violent. It´s the people that are violent and unfortunaltely try to do their violent acts in the namne of religion.

18 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I dont know about Thai "becoming"Islamaphobes , i know quite a few Thai people and have never ever heard a good word spoken about Muslims ,most do not like them , I know my wifes family cannot abide them , i have never asked why .

They probably know friends or relatives that have been murdered by Muslims in the South. 

3 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Yes !  With big walls around it .

So, you just choosed to hate a whole religion, just for the sake of approx. maximum 2% misguided believers.

Let´s hope that something like that never happens to you. Because then you would cry foul and say that it not fair.

17 minutes ago, Get Real said:

You missed one very important and essential thing. Religion is something that people believe in.
That a small percentage of people chooses to adapt a wierd and sinister view of the religion, has nothing to do with the real view.
No religion is violent. It´s the people that are violent and unfortunaltely try to do their violent acts in the namne of religion.

The religious text of Islam -  Chop off heads fingers and kill infidels.

The people are not violent until they read the text of their religion. 

3 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Nope, anybody can become violent, given certain circumstances, and intelligent people don't take old text literally.

Some people think that eradicating religions may instantly solve the problems, i don't think so.

Conflicts are related to money and power IMO

15 minutes ago, maxpower said:

And then claim it wasn't really them that did it, their 'god' told them to do it.

20 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

It's a Muslim region...are you saying they should change centuries of tradition to suit you?

If that "tradition " involves an effective noise nuisance by inflicting and imposing their noisy delusions on neighbours, then certainly yes. The current tradition of slaughtering infidels (and those of different sects with a slightly different version of their imaginary friend) is also one I think should be up for review.

44 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Any religion that follow a 'book' and teaches and advocates chopping of heads, hands etc is a religion based on violence and mind control.

As pointed out by another poster, ref' women, my youngest SIL who is actually over 40 is a really sexy looking woman and in a certain religion if I raped her it would be her fault.

38 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

If that "tradition " involves an effective noise nuisance by inflicting and imposing their noisy delusions on neighbours, then certainly yes. The current tradition of slaughtering infidels (and those of different sects with a slightly different version of their imaginary friend) is also one I think should be up for review.

As should the current Burmese Buddhist trend in the direction of genocide

58 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Any religion that follow a 'book' and teaches and advocates chopping of heads, hands etc is a religion based on violence and mind control.

As pointed out by another poster, ref' women, my youngest SIL who is actually over 40 is a really sexy looking woman and in a certain religion if I raped her it would be her fault.

If Christians followed their book, they would be killing just as many people for just as irrational reasons as Muslims do.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

56 minutes ago, overherebc said:

That´s totally based on no facts at all.

I give up. It´s not possibly for a person that states all religion is crap, to understand anything anyway. You already put yourself in that box.

Let´s say you win, so I don´t have to read more crap. :cheesy::clap2:

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, I know some people will groan, but in my view it is religious majorities in various countries that are more of a risk than religious minorities.

So it is more than OK to condemn oppression of non-Muslims in Saudi Arabia (or even Muslim oppression of other Muslims), genocide of Muslim Rohingya in mostly Buddhist Myanmar,  extremist Christian motivated right wing terrorism in the USA, the occupation of the west bank by the Jewish state of Israel, etc. 

But Muslims when they are a minority really do get an unfair bad rap. 

Moving against them too harshly only fuels more of them to get involved with radical violent dogmas.

It doesn't have to be that way in Thailand.

I suggest the Thai government get involved in an early educational requirement to teach peaceful coexistence and tolerance of different religions and races to very young children. That's a good start anyway. 

Dream on, there is no peaceful coexistence possible with Islam.

Teaching children tolerance?

Like the islam does??????

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If Christians followed their book, they would be killing just as many people for just as irrational reasons as Muslims do.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

But they don't …. Which is a difference of monumental proportions 

29 minutes ago, Get Real said:

I give up. It´s not possibly for a person that states all religion is crap, to understand anything anyway. You already put yourself in that box.

Why not just say that it's obvious we can't agree rather try direct or indirect insults and use silly emoticons or whatever they are called.

Have a nice day anyway.

31 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Dream on, there is no peaceful coexistence possible with Islam.

Teaching children tolerance?

Like the islam does??????

That's my point, dude.

That people, religious or not, live in national SOCIETIES.

I'm talking about a nationally required educational program for ALL youth.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Richard Dawkins, who wrote the God delusion ,effectively says all religion is nonsense and is emeritus professor of biology at Oxford  . So I guess you're saying he can't understand anything? Yes I have read the book.

Edited by nchuckle
Additional

2 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Richard Dawkins, who wrote the God delusion ,effectively says all religion is nonsense and is emeritus professor of biology at Oxford  . So I guess you're saying he can't understand anything? Yes I have read the book.

Nope, I only state my opinion and standing in the matter. I guess he and you stated the same.
Religion is about belief, so I guess you and the dear professor is taking the easy way out instead of understanding and accepting.
I guess he sold a lot of hes book, so it might also have a commerial and economical purpose for him.