Opening a bank account with Siam Legal?

I'm currently on a Non-O visa based on marriage. I need to open a Thai bank account so I can deposit the required THB 400 000 for the visa extension. 

I've been to a few banks around here in Bangkok and they all told me I need a work permit in order to open an account. I was always denied right at the door before I even had the chance to speak to a teller (I didn't look like a bum either haha)

I found this service from Siam Legal: https://www.siam-legal.com/other-services/opening-a-bank-account-in-thailand.php

Does anyone have experience with this service? Is it worth the price or are there other ways to get a bank account?

You do not need a work permit - nobody on retirement has them.  Just try asking at a few more bank ( you did ask at actual banks rather than shopping center type places?).  Bangkok Bank has there requirements listed on web site.  If wife has bank try that (and go with wife).  Many will want some form of recommendation and that would help.  Or perhaps a simple letter from your home bank or your Embassy or your landlord or other friend.

This is what me & wife went through

The wife had an account in her local province & when I met her I got her to open a BBK account (same bank ) 

so now having the 2 accounts with the same bank (one up country & one in Bangkok) we went to the country branch & said we will deposit 50,000 bht into the wifes personal country account & 500,000 into the Bangkok branch 

Well he was nearly in shock as to why I was putting so much money into the BKK one ( for house building )

In the end he suggested I come back with my passport the next day & open my own personal account in the country branch

Ps the recommendation came from the manager himself

Edited by BEVUP

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

3300 Baht to open a bank account. 55555

You need to go to Bangkok Bank

PS: not sure now a days but you may need a Certificate of Residence from Immigration

Edited by BEVUP

Thank you for the answers

Yes, paying $100 to have a bank account opened is less than ideal. Then again I'd rather do that, than waste the whole day going to Chaeng Wattana to obtain a certificate of residence.

I will try my luck at a Bangkok Bank branch and any other bank I come across for that matter. 

Edited by JoshBe

11 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

3300 Baht to open a bank account. 55555

For some people this is worth it.  I can imagine there are plenty of people who do not wish to traipse around bank branch after bank branch being declined.  If it could be handled quickly and professionally and save time, money and hassle, then what's the big deal.  In the big picture, a one-off payment of 3,300 baht to get something done right the first time is hardly a high price to pay.

The big deal is your money - I, for one, would not want any third party having access to my bank account information and setting up accounts in a friendly bank to them - even trust in actual bank employees has not always worked out well for some.  This is something worth doing yourself.

Some branches of Bangkok Bank want a letter from your embassy. However, all I ever provided (opened recently) was a letter from a respected Thai person (college professor) and proof of residence (Yellow Tabien Baan), passport and funds.