Attorney-General prepares to request Yingluck’s extradition from UK

webfact

Attorney-General prepares to request Yingluck’s extradition from UK

By THE NATION

4340130baef2772cbd5c29c2ed471b53.jpg

THE OFFICE of the Attorney-General’s international affairs department is preparing to set up a working group to handle an extradition request for fugitive former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Department director-general Amnat Chotchai said yesterday he would head the group and was seeking to recruit experts to join it.

The group will be formed even though the Attorney-General has not yet received an official police request to pursue Yingluck, who is reportedly in London and has sought political asylum in the UK.

But the Attorney-General could justify its move to seek extradition because Yingluck’s case was related to graft, not politics, Amnat said, arguing that the former premier had attended all the court hearings until August 25 when the Supreme Court was scheduled to deliver its verdict.

A century-old extradition treaty between Thailand and the UK is still in force and British laws also cover graft and negligence-related cases, Amnat added.

Meanwhile, the Foreign Ministry is considering revoking Yingluck’s passports but has not commented on her reported plan to live in exile overseas.

The ministry has received a request from police to cancel her travel documents and is considering it in line with the ministry’s 2005 regulation on passports, spokesperson Busadee Santipitaks said yesterday.

The ministry did not have any information about her reported plan to seek asylum in the United Kingdom, Busadee added.

Rumours were widespread yesterday that Yingluck had received political asylum in Britain and was attempting to set up a government-in-exile.

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan said he did not know anything about the reports. 

Prawit denied that he had met Yingluck in London last month.

Prawit had travelled to London to attend the Defence and Security Equipment International arms exhibition from September 12 to 15. 

Yingluck fled Thailand in late August ahead of the reading of a verdict regarding her government’s controversial rice-pledging scheme, and flew to Dubai.

Foreign media reported that she had left Dubai for London on September 11. Thaksin and his two daughters had been in London from September 15 onwards, but now Thaksin is back in Dubai, according to their posts on social media. 

“How could I meet her and no one saw it? I don’t know when she came to London. I was there for two days and met two UK ministers. That’s it,” Prawit said.

The caretaker secretary-general of the opposition Pheu Thai Party, Phumtham Wechayachai, dismissed the reports. “The reports are groundless and not true. It is speculation,” said Phumtham. “We have not received news from the ex-premier.

“Photos of her circulated on social media are old and doctored. It has caused a lot of misunderstanding,” he added. 

Phumtham said he believed that Yingluck would eventually speak for herself when the time was right.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30328576

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-06

Yingluck is not coming back unless she chooses to do so.

Overthrown Prime Ministers, not matter the circumstances of their ousting, aren't forcibly returned to their countries, especially when the people who overthrew them are in power; it just isn't done.

It is an unwritten rule of international affairs. 

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Grow up, dude! First you tell me very I slate your country. You were the one that made it bigger and more worth than it is and ever been.

Other countries look to UK?  Yeah, sure! Maybe they are watching it closely for a devaluation of the Pound. :cheesy:

Go strong, May!

you will eat your words in two years

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Anyway, returning to the OP, you know I think they are serious - they are forming a committee!

They must scent a budget...

Not just a committee but a "working group" !

Bet the lunches will be nice. Good old Chalerm was the bench mark for nice lunches, good booze all served by pretty wenches - so rumor has it. I do miss him!

Back OT - a working group. Hmmm expect a request sometime towards the end of the next few years then.

1 hour ago, Becker said:

Hey Kuandow (sic), would you include the man-child (Trump) in that assessment?

Furthermore, when you're a former democratically elected PM persecuted by a military junta who have suspended basic human rights for several years and do not intend to restore democracy in the foreseeable future I think that her being granted permanent stay in the UK is a given.

The UK, like other major countries, will have a clear picture of Ms Yingluck, her family, their government and how it operated. They will also have a clear picture of the Junta and how it operates. Let's not pretend she's the innocent persecuted little democrat. And let's not pretend the Junta are anything but a Junta. Because the British government will know the reality.

What is more pertinent, is that as a billionaire, in her own right, she can afford to buy British citizenship if she so wishes. As to a request for extradition. The first test is whether the "crime" she is convicted of is a crime under the law of England and Wales. Likely to fall at the first hurdle. Which probably explains why no one's rushing to make the request.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Grow up, dude! First you tell me very I slate your country. You were the one that made it bigger and more worth than it is and ever been.

Other countries look to UK?  Yeah, sure! Maybe they are watching it closely for a devaluation of the Pound. :cheesy:

Go strong, May!

Yes, get real.

3 Jan 2017  £/$ = 1.2340,   £/Bt = 44.23

30 Sept 2017  £/$ = 1.3399,  £/Bt = 44.56.

Which currency has devalued and which has appreciated this current year?

14 hours ago, Becker said:

Hey Kuandow (sic), would you include the man-child (Trump) in that assessment?

Furthermore, when you're a former democratically elected PM persecuted by a military junta who have suspended basic human rights for several years and do not intend to restore democracy in the foreseeable future I think that her being granted permanent stay in the UK is a given.

I very much doubt it. She was impeached for dereliction of duty (and gross incompetence) to the office of PM.

What remained of the Poo Thai Government was deposed after that. She was prosecuted for collusion in corrupt practice by her government officials in the G2G rice deal scam.

The UK PM and Home Secretary are not likely to be that easily fooled.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

10 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Good! that was the main point from start. USA did give aid, that was neccessary for UK to be successful. Exactly what a said from start. Thank you for agreeing with me.
No need to lie down, but thanks again for your concern about my well being. I can clearly see on your regular posts that you care about many people.

Yes I care about the Majority of downtrodden Thais thats about 99% of the population, as for the others well hell is where they should be.

Twist your words again

USA did give aid, that was neccessary for UK to be successful Exactly what a said from start

You have a dam funny way of writing then. First b4 you use English go and learn to write it and of course understand it, that's what a 3rd world education does for you.

Edited by wakeupplease

2 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I very much doubt it. She was impeached for dereliction of duty (and gross incompetence) to the office of PM.

What remained of the Poo Thai Government was deposed after that. She was prosecuted for collusion in corrupt practice by her government officials in the G2G rice deal scam.

You just forget a few details. In UK or any European country:

- she would not have been impeached by a puppet parliament appointed by a military Junta ( and on top of it retroactively)

- her remaining government would not have been deposited by a military coup

- she would not have been convicted for mere negligence in implementing a scheme voted in parliament..

Foreign embassies perrfectly understand what happens in Thailand (see the leaked cables from the U.S. embassy for example)!

18 minutes ago, candide said:

deposited by a military coup

Deposited where, in her bank account?

Sorry, I understand what you are talking about but basically (as I have said in other posts on other threads) her government was corrupt and she was complicit. Promoted to PM after 49 days as an MP is unheard of. The puppet of her brother seeking amnesty and a smoke screen of a rice pledging deal for the poor that was nothing more than another money making scam for her and his pals is plainly obvious.

Thailand is a very young "democracy" where the rich are empowered by the duped and fooled, and then further enriched.

Intervention is inevitable, by coup or a people's revolution.

Until reform of the police is done as a start nothing will change here.

8 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

What's the "Poo Thai" government? And what does "The UK PM and Home Secretary are not likely to be that easily fooled" mean?

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Deposited where, in her bank account?

Sorry, I understand what you are talking about but basically (as I have said in other posts on other threads) her government was corrupt and she was complicit. Promoted to PM after 49 days as an MP is unheard of. The puppet of her brother seeking amnesty and a smoke screen of a rice pledging deal for the poor that was nothing more than another money making scam for her and his pals is plainly obvious.

Thailand is a very young "democracy" where the rich are empowered by the duped and fooled, and then further enriched.

Intervention is inevitable, by coup or a people's revolution.

Until reform of the police is done as a start nothing will change here.

So you mean reform of the military and judiciary is not necessary? 

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Thailand is a very young "democracy"

It's been more like an aged "oligarchy":

A government in which a small group exercises control especially for corrupt and selfish purposes. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/oligarchy

A debased form of aristocracy. https://www.britannica.com/topic/oligarchy

4 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

That too, but you have to start somewhere.

So yuo want corrupt institutions to reform a corrupt institution and you expect that to bring about real change for the better???