Entertainment operators asked to suspend activities throughout October

webfact

41 minutes ago, poohy said:

oh yes she is!! well shes Thai,  a 55 year old one, albeit certainly not overly pious (actually hates the orange blokes with passion ) and worked  and lived in southern thailand for many years

?

Then she will appreciate the Buddhist calendar if you download it for her......... she won’t miss another opportunity to tamboon.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes. If they say they want to suspend all entertainment ( bet they don't shut down the movies or a single hotel bar ) I would wager that is what they want to do.

However, wiser heads may prevail, hopefully.

Quote me in full please.  Don't cherry pick my post.

13 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

?

Then she will appreciate the Buddhist calendar if you download it for her......... she won’t miss another opportunity to tamboon.

Hmmm i will give it a miss

She would prefer a new lawnmower and  case (or 2)of Leo

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It is not necessary for non Thais to wai anyone. That subject has been discussed so many times already.

I was asking that user if he wais or not as a point relevant to the discussion. I did not suggest anyone has to wai, I simply wanted to know if he wais, given that it is probably not part of his home culture or social rules. I thought this a relevant point to discuss since we are talking about people modifying their behaviour based on the culture they are in, not simply what they want to do.

17 hours ago, brommers said:

Smutcakes it was the end of Buddhist Lent, Awk Phansa, and a mandatory alcohol free day since 2015. 

If entertainment venues have to suspend their shows etc for a month a whole lot of businesses will go broke. A friend had budgeted for up to four days without a show in his successful bar would now be faced with a six figure salary bill, which he could not afford. This would put 26 people out of work. Sure to get a lot of support for those in power at the promised election. Not.

All previous information put out by government has allowed for shows etc to continue on a cut back form but this new directive seems draconian to say the least.

I have Awk Phansa as Oct 30. Does that date change a lot each year?

While we are about it, tell the tourists to bugger off, so we can be miserable alone and do not forget to tell all the Thai business owners to do the same. This is TRULY AMAZING THAILAND,

Last night the local market blaring out music that rattled my windows. Plus another p[lace nearby playing music through the night, Reverence is obviously NOT in the THAI understanding

Less than 2 weeks ago the Government Tourism office announced that all entertainment activities could proceed as usual during this period. Then operators were asked to scale back and now they want these activities suspended . I have no problem with what they are doing but they should have announced their policy long in advance so that operators, employees and tourists could plan for this.

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Vague wording once again.

Creating more questions than answers.

Of course.  Playing the cultural card is most powerful effective worded like this.  Besides there is no legal footing. 

I believe that in Thailand what is "suggested" from above, is acted upon down below. Each police district will apply the "suggestion" as they see fit and that will keep them in good standing with the military (but keep the River Baht flowing, albeit much reduced these days). 

As the important dates are upon us, the venues will start hearing from their local "affiliates" and must act accordingly. I expect a very subdued period in the entertainment business, of course, much like the year-ago period. Only I think there will be full closures for many days and many more subdued evenings.

42 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

Less than 2 weeks ago the Government Tourism office announced that all entertainment activities could proceed as usual during this period. Then operators were asked to scale back and now they want these activities suspended . I have no problem with what they are doing but they should have announced their policy long in advance so that operators, employees and tourists could plan for this.

Perhaps there's an interdepartmental "I'm sadder than you" competition going on?

Doesn't TAT say something like 30 million visitors a year?  Assuming not quite a straight average equal each month which would be 2.5 million per month, and doubling that during High season to 5 million.  Seems like a lot of visitors would like to know exactly what the state of affairs will be.  Bars close early?  No outdoor music at all? 

I doubt whether economic or business disruption was considered.

There are a number of factions within the current "establishment' . The one driving this simply isn't affected by any such disruption, so don't care.

Take a stake, and drive it through the heart of the start of high-season tourism.  They need to find a balance between the needs of the nation to mourn the passing of Rama IX, and the realities of tourism being a significant part of Thai GDP.  Why not close the factories and malls for the month too?  

God forbid that anything should get in the way of the farang's ostensibly enshrined "right" to drink himself into a stupor while ogling a couple of cruiserweight trouts in platform heels.

Believe it or not, many of the hookers some of you guys are so fond of happen to love their king and some might even take a few days off to grieve with their families.

19 hours ago, baboon said:

Why should there be any mandated obligation to?

Indeed. You shouldn't order people to show respect. It should be up to each individual. Respect should be earned, not obligatory. Of course, in this case it has been earned and the vast majority will want to show respect anyway.

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Indeed. You shouldn't order people to show respect. It should be up to each individual. Respect should be earned, not obligatory. Of course, in this case it has been earned and the vast majority will want to show respect anyway.

I wish someone had told that to the morons berating anyone who opted to #takeaknee over a soddin' flag national anthem

Edited by Thai Ron

God forbid that anything should get in the way of the farang's ostensibly enshrined "right" to drink himself into a stupor while ogling a couple of cruiserweight trouts in platform heels.
Believe it or not, many of the hookers some of you guys are so fond of happen to love their king and some might even take a few days off to grieve with their families.

Except alcohol can still be sold and the girls can still work!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app