Entertainment operators asked to suspend activities throughout October

webfact

The tongue was in cheek, dude... (btw, it was about prostitution, not sex in general, and it wasn't specific to foreigners.)

Having said that, I'm pretty sure all this is new for you. When did Thailand last mourne the passing of a King? It was 71 years ago, so this is all new to nearly everyone currently living and most of the people who were alive in 1946 were too young to remember all the details.   

True. Although the period after the King died last year should give us a good idea about what will happen. Having been a subject of discreet speculation ever since I moved here 13 years ago, the reality was much less disruptive than I expected, with life pretty much continuing as normal, if more subdued.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

True. Although the period after the King died last year should give us a good idea about what will happen. Having been a subject of discreet speculation ever since I moved here 13 years ago, the reality was much less disruptive than I expected, with life pretty much continuing as normal, if more subdued.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's right. Nobody knew what was going to happen and most people seemed to be expecting more drama. It went exactly as I predicted though. I predicted life would go on as usual, and that's what happened.

On 10/6/2017 at 3:21 PM, smutcakes said:

Nana was all shuttered up last night as were the farang bars around robin hood. Heavy police presence to so looks like they are praticing on really shutting things down. Apprently it was a relatively unkown buddhist holiday which in previous years would of gone unnoticed. This was about 10 30pm last night so not sure what time they closed.

Huh?  I was drinking in Nana Plaza and Cowboy last night (until about 4am).  

I didn't see anywhere shuttered up or any increased police presence. 

5 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Thais are usually so emotional.

Actually, 'standard' Thais are generally reserved and typically do not, as a rule, openly show emotion. Yes, you get the odd blowout on occasion and certain types in the tourist industry might be more predisposed to this. But that you didn't see anyone openly showing it would likely be down to the suppression of said emotion and of course the saving of face.

3 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Huh?  I was drinking in Nana Plaza and Cowboy last night (until about 4am).  

I didn't see anywhere shuttered up or any increased police presence. 

Check the date on the post. They were referring to the night of the 5th, not last night

3 hours ago, tropo said:

I also disagree with your notion that mourning should be up to the individual. A period of government-mandated mourning with guidelines would seem very appropriate this month.

This is not the time to have inconsiderate fools spoiling the grieving process of most of the nation. For example, how would you feel if you were having a funeral service for your father and next door to the church a group of inconsiderate people were having a loud party.

Unfortunately, it only takes a few inconsiderate individuals to spoil the atmosphere for everyone. There's no other solution here - it must be controlled. The only way to have reverent mourning for the King is for everyone to be quiet.

How would "inconsiderate fools" be "spoiling the grieving process of most of the nation" in districts nowhere near where the cremation is to take place?

I would love to evolve this discussion further and bring up the mourning period at the death of Princess Diana in the UK, but I doubt that is the best of ideas. Some of you will know what I am getting at, however, so let us leave that one there.

Yes its their business, leave them to it, good time to leave the country or at least get out of BKK if you can

i doubt small town/ village rural thailand  eg. where i live will be affected much

Also more sobering in 20 years(maybe much sooner)  all this will have disappeared into the dim annals of history 

25 minutes ago, baboon said:

How would "inconsiderate fools" be "spoiling the grieving process of most of the nation" in districts nowhere near where the cremation is to take place?

I would love to evolve this discussion further and bring up the mourning period at the death of Princess Diana in the UK, but I doubt that is the best of ideas. Some of you will know what I am getting at, however, so let us leave that one there.

Why would you suggest the mourning is restricted to people who attend the cremation? I'm talking about people throughout Thailand, all month. That's the idea of restricting entertainment for the month of October. They're asking for a month of special mourning and respect for a King that reined for 70 years. One month of inconvenience out 840 months. Get real - it's not much to ask. Keeping the partygoers quiet is a nice gesture to the people around Thailand who wish to have a quiet period to pay their respects and mourne.

Thank you for not bringing up Princess Diana.  

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

Why would you suggest the mourning is restricted to people who attend the cremation? I'm talking about people throughout Thailand, all month. That's the idea of restricting entertainment for the month of October. They're asking for a month of special mourning and respect for a King that reined for 70 years. One month of inconvenience out 840 months. Get real - it's not much to ask. Keeping the partygoers quiet is a nice gesture to the people around Thailand who wish to have a quiet period to pay their respects and mourne.

Thank you for not bringing up Princess Diana.  

I am merely suggesting that the two can live side by side without any friction as it is, without special rules being put in place. Rules that could well have a detrimental affect on the livelihoods of some who perhaps are not enjoying the fruits of Thailand's prosperity as much as others, but who still have families to feed no matter what. I am sure you will understand I would like to say much more on the subject, but am unable to.

17 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Less than 2 weeks ago the Government Tourism office announced that all entertainment activities could proceed as usual during this period. Then operators were asked to scale back and now they want these activities suspended . I have no problem with what they are doing but they should have announced their policy long in advance so that operators, employees and tourists could plan for this.

Once again I reference an excellent post and point.

For the "I'm more mournful than thou" crowd, what's wrong with establishing clear and consistent rules in advance and sticking with them?  Where is the respect in changing the rules hours before opening time?

For the pious moralists, try to remember:  We are discussing people's livelihoods here.  Is it right, or "respectful" to tell them one thing two weeks ago and then jerk them around at the last minute? 

22 hours ago, baboon said:

I am merely suggesting that the two can live side by side without any friction as it is, without special rules being put in place. Rules that could well have a detrimental affect on the livelihoods of some who perhaps are not enjoying the fruits of Thailand's prosperity as much as others, but who still have families to feed no matter what. I am sure you will understand I would like to say much more on the subject, but am unable to.

Once again I disagree. They can't live side by side. The people who are being forced or encouraged to pipe down are the inconsiderate type who need rules to keep them under control. I'm sorry if you take it personally, and that you consider it a major inconvenience for a short period of time, but these are exceptional circumstances. I don't know how long it is since a revered King has been cremated in Thailand, but it's definitely at least 70 years. You don't seem to comprehend the gravity of the situation.  

Outside of the ones who don't care, because they don't know, about anything, and, the selfish ones living for their own only, on some allowance or scam, I can not think of ANY Farang being a tiny bit in touch with the country they stay in, Thailand, who could develop anything else than positive thoughts, deep respect, and profound sadness about His Majesty the former King Bhumibol and His passing away.

On another hand, the way the one year mourning has been organised, and imposed, over the whole territory, leaves me with quite mixed feelings. Was it needed? I think not, considering the feelings ALL had/have about the person(!) of the late King, and thankfullness for all His achievements.

IMHO, it was, sadly, used, and abused, by 'the ones in power' to even reinforce their iron grip over the country, for a whole year during which every form of disagreement could be considered as a sacrilege towards the memory of the late King, and, ...made to, raise heavy antagonistic reactions from the popular masses. ...Even the sulfurous UDD and its red shirts' militia walked the line, a feat in itself...

IMHO, again, NOBODY had the right to abuse of His late Majesty's heritage in any, and for sure not in this, way! Shame!

P.S.: Though I, still, though a lot less than three years ago, believe the present military government is the 'least bad' available possibility for Thailand not to fall in the deep, ...deeper I mean. Which, IMHO once more, is the main reason why 'the ones who really decide', at that time, gave the green light for the 2014 coup.

2 hours ago, bangrak said:

P.S.: Though I, still, though a lot less than three years ago, believe the present military government is the 'least bad' available possibility for Thailand not to fall in the deep, ...deeper I mean. Which, IMHO once more, is the main reason why 'the ones who really decide', at that time, gave the green light for the 2014 coup.

You think this is the "least bad" form of government"? The propaganda is working well. Many expats seem to be happy with this new type of government.

4 hours ago, tropo said:

Once again I disagree. They can't live side by side. The people who are being forced or encouraged to pipe down are the inconsiderate type who need rules to keep them under control. I'm sorry if you take it personally, and that you consider it a major inconvenience for a short period of time, but these are exceptional circumstances. I don't know how long it is since a revered King has been cremated in Thailand, but it's definitely at least 70 years. You don't seem to comprehend the gravity of the situation.  

Of course they can easily live side by side. just as Baboon I am restricted by forum rules and antiquated laws about what I really feel about the subject. Let's just say that I believe the most inconsiderate people are people that put their feeling of grief above other people's feelings and needs. in this case a real need of course. easy for you to say that people should be without income for a whole month, after all you won't feel the pain. 

The subject died almost a year ago, there was an official period of mourning of six months, the event was used as an excuse to stop people from having a bit of fun until at least the last days of december. considering this period, toning down of entertainment a few days in late October would have been more than sufficient and would have been considerate for all parties involved. Don't ask for consideration if you can't show any yourself is the message here....

18 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Of course they can easily live side by side. just as Baboon I am restricted by forum rules and antiquated laws about what I really feel about the subject. Let's just say that I believe the most inconsiderate people are people that put their feeling of grief above other people's feelings and needs. in this case a real need of course. easy for you to say that people should be without income for a whole month, after all you won't feel the pain. 

The subject died almost a year ago, there was an official period of mourning of six months, the event was used as an excuse to stop people from having a bit of fun until at least the last days of december. considering this period, toning down of entertainment a few days in late October would have been more than sufficient and would have been considerate for all parties involved. Don't ask for consideration if you can't show any yourself is the message here....

I bet you think it's OK to smoke in restaurants and bars,drink and drive and people should be allowed military grade automatic weapons with silencers. 

16 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Thanks for your support. At least there are some of us who try to make known an alternative point of view in the face of a rabble - egged on by shadowy figures behind them - screaming 'Witch! Heretic!'

Welcome to the 21st Century and mankind's steady progress back to the 18th...

5 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Please tell the Indian tailors to take a break, from forever asking me if I'd like a new suit, as I haven't worn one in 20+ years !  :ohmy:

Sorry Ricardo, I am afraid the recent announcement isn't tailored to the formal clothing trade.

It doesn't suit them to dictate the terms of the entertainment restrictions.

Doesn't measure up, and they don't have a leg to stand on.

21 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Please tell the Indian tailors to take a break, from forever asking me if I'd like a new suit, as I haven't worn one in 20+ years !  :ohmy:

Yes, last time I was in Chiang Mai one of the cheeky barstewards approached me and said: "You look like a man who could use a new suit."

I was a bit put out, I thought I was looking particularly dapper at the time....

32 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Sorry Ricardo, I am afraid the recent announcement isn't tailored to the formal clothing trade.

It doesn't suit them to dictate the terms of the entertainment restrictions.

Doesn't measure up, and they don't have a leg to stand on.

I do tend to get shirty, I try to tell them to put a sock in it, and shoe them away ! :laugh:

It really isn't very entertaining, at all !