Do you plan to upgrade to Windows 10?

connda

Upgrading your computer's Operating System: Windows 10 or something else?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In a new Tech article on TV it is recommended that people upgrade to Windows 10 because Microsoft prioritized their security updates, according to the article, and service security updates to Win 10 platforms first and then Windows 7 and 8 versions. 

Both Windows 7 and 8 are still supported in the Microsoft Windows Update channels for security updates.  Yes, the updating mechanism has changed in that security updates are pushed out to Windows 10 regularly as opposed to having to wait for the second week of the month to obtain security updates for Win 7 and 8.  But is this enough to keep you, as a user, from switching to Windows 10?

For me personally, the answer was "No."  Over the years my biggest gripe about Microsoft is their insistence to regularly change their User Interfaces in their Operating Systems and their programs.  Why?  For any business using these products, the amount of money needed to purchase new licenses and to retrain their staff is huge each time MS rolls out changes to how their User Interface or proprietary programs, such as MS Office, works. For something that is suppose to help increase productivity, I'll venture that the exact opposite is the case.

People do not like change.  End users don't want to relearn a new User Interface every time a new version of a program or OS is rolled out.  It's exactly for this reason that I've ditched Microsoft Windows and have moved to Linux.  With Linux I can choose my User Interface and as a general rule, updates to the underlying software will never drastically change the User Interface and graphical windows environment.  Pick the interface you want: GNOME, KDE, Cinnamon, or Xfce and that interface isn't going to change much.  That's what I want: a consistent look and feel regardless of the changes to the underlying operating system.  And then as far as security updates?  The Linux System Update puts Microsoft to shame.  Updates to the Linux OS and all installed programs (with minor exceptions) are available to be installed as soon at the developers roll them out and regularly show up in the Update Manager toolbar app along with a severity rating. The processes underlying Microsoft's update services are a bloated, resource intensive monster. 
And performance?  My Linux OS boots up in less than a minute.  The GUI boots in 15 seconds.  On power down, the system shuts down in 10 seconds.  Now compare that to waiting for up to 5 minutes (or more) before you can start using MS Windows.  There are so many processes competing for CPU and memory that you need some of the newest hardware available to run the Windows 10 OS.  Linux.  I have multiple computers, my oldest laptop is about 15 years old - and I have Ubuntu 14.04 running on it without a problem.  There is no comparison: the Windows OS has always been a resource hog and always will be a resource hog.
Yes, I have a need to maintain a copy of Windows to run a couple of legacy programs that will not run via WINE. However, I will use Win 7 until support totally ends in January 2020.  Although I keep it sandboxed in a Virtual Machine. 
What will I do after that?  I'll worry about it in 2020. 

Edited by connda

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to critize anyone for wanting to stick with MS Windows.  Like I said, people resist change.  They stay with what they feel comfortable with using. 

Regarding upgrading to Win 10 'for free', as my grandad use to say, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."  Look for the strings that are attached. 

An article from Computer World lists many of the issues with upgrading to Free Windows 10 that basically boil down to losing functionality that you are used to using, you legacy hardware will not necessarily work, your privacy is in Microsoft's hands but then again what software vendor isn't Hoovering as much of your personal data as they can, hope you like adware as your free version will abound,  Windows Start is not intuitive so enjoy relearning that and the file system,  and maybe the bottom line, if Windows 7/8 is working for you, then what is it you plan to gain?  You should do your research and think that one through.  Then if you really think you want to upgrade, then before you do, I highly recommend learning how to make an image of your disk or partition so that if you are not happy with Windows 10, then you can quickly and painlessly reinstall the image of your previous operating system. 
Also, by the time the end-of-lifecycle shows up in 2020 for Windows 7, maybe, just maybe Microsoft may have come up with another OS that consumers will embrace.  Think: WIndow XP good, WIndows Visa  sucks, Windows 7 good, Windows 10 ???  Microsoft's hits and misses seem to be cyclical.  Maybe the next release will actually be something users can actually be happy with.  So imho, it's better to wait unless you have a burning need for some new functionality in Win 10, and have the necessary hardware powerful enough to run it.

Edited by connda

22 minutes ago, connda said:

I'm not going to critize anyone for wanting to stick with MS Windows.  Like I said, people resist change.  They stay with what they feel comfortable with using. 

Regarding upgrading to Win 10 'for free', an my grandad use to say, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."  Look for the strings that are attached. 

An article from Computer World lists many of the issues with upgrading to Free Windows 10 that basically boil down to losing functionality that you are used to using, you legacy hardware will not necessarily work, your privacy is in Microsoft's hands but then again what software vendor isn't Hoovering as much of your personal data as they can, hope you like adware as your free version will abound,  Windows Start is not intuitive so enjoy relearning that and the file system,  and maybe the bottom line, if Windows 7/8 is working for you, then what is it you plan to gain?  You should do your research and think that one through.  Then if you really think you want to upgrade, then before you do, I highly recommend learning how to make an image of your disk or partition so that if you are not happy with Windows 10, then you can quickly and painlessly reinstall the image of your previous operating system. 
Also, by the time the end-of-lifecycle shows up in 2020 for Windows 7, maybe, just maybe Microsoft may have come up with another OS that consumers will embrace.  Think: WIndow XP good, WIndows Visa  sucks, Windows 7 good, Windows 10 ???  Microsoft's hits and misses seem to be cyclical.  Maybe the next release will actually be something users can actually be happy with.  So imho, it's better to wait unless you have a burning need for some new functionality in Win 10, and have the necessary hardware powerful enough to run it.

I'm posting the link to these article here as I'm not sure if it in anyway is against forum policy.  I don't think so, but I'm not sure.  Just being safe. 
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3219835/microsoft-windows/10-reasons-you-shouldnt-upgrade-to-windows-10.html#slide1
https://www.windowscentral.com/14-reasons-not-to-upgrade-windows-10

Edited by connda

I thought at first that this was an "official" TV Tech survey but it seems it is for your personal use and given your obvious dislike of Windows10 just what are you up to.

Can I ask why you are making this "Poll", is it for legitimate research or for selling onwards for profit?

23 hours ago, connda said:

I'm posting the link to these article here as I'm not sure if it in anyway is against forum policy.  I don't think so, but I'm not sure.  Just being safe. 
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3219835/microsoft-windows/10-reasons-you-shouldnt-upgrade-to-windows-10.html#slide1
https://www.windowscentral.com/14-reasons-not-to-upgrade-windows-10

The first link is 1YO and the 2nd link 2YO.  These articles are dinosaurs in WIN 10 terms and bear little or no relation to WIN10 today or the upcoming update.

Are you being paid for this anti Win10 tirade, if not why are you doing it?

Edited by scottiejohn

I did do the free upgrade to W10 but reverted to W7.

W10 twice decided to update at the most inopportune times leaving me almost missing deadlines for my work.

I recently decided to give it another go only to find the the Windows store would totally refuse do download anything.

Not impressed at all.

Will probably have to upgrade eventually but no immediate plans to do so,

I wasn't going to upgrade initially, but then I had friends that rely on me for their computer support asking questions about the update, install, rollback, etc, process so then just created a full image of my trusty Win7 install and started experiencing all the pitfalls of being an undocumented Microsoft Windows beta tester.

Several years later my Acer laptop is now on Win10 full time. 

I'm reading rumors that Microsoft is dropping Windows Phone?  Gee, I wonder why?

I agree entirely.  I unfortunately upgraded to win 10 and after more that a year i still cant find applications and files and I really dont know how to work it.  but how do i get win 7 back?? I bought a PC from somewhere in Pantup plaza with win 7 installed. I have no win 7 backup disk . Please help.

I use a LOT of apps and after a Win 7 to Win 8 Pro failure followed by a Win 7 to WIn 10 upgrade fail I will be waiting until the Win 7 support death knell before I attempt to upgrade again and not looking forward to that either.  Resistance to changer has nothing to do with it just a lack of faith. 

I work in I.T. and have been using PCs since Commodore 64 days and for business since the original IBM XT in '81 (if I remember correctly).   

My most powerful pc has been upgraded to Win10 from 8. Once all the snoop-poop has been switched off I've found 10 to be substantially better than 8.

My laptop and other pc's I look after have Win7. In many ways I still prefer 7 but probably because my knowledge of it is far greater.

3 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

The first link is 1YO and the 2nd link 2YO.  These articles are dinosaurs in WIN 10 terms and bear little or no relation to WIN10 today or the upcoming update.

Are you being paid for this anti Win10 tirade, if not why are you doing it?

Actually, please post any new articles you can find that show the advantages of Windows 10. 
I said before, up to the user, but make an informed choice.  So Scottlejohn, help the undecided with links showing the advantages of Windows 10.  I'd like to see them because I'd like to see how Microsoft is currently addressing the initial problems with Windows 10.  If it is now a wonderful cross-platform operating system, heck, I'll buy a copy too! 

Edited by connda

4 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I thought at first that this was an "official" TV Tech survey but it seems it is for your personal use and given your obvious dislike of Windows10 just what are you up to.

Can I ask why you are making this "Poll", is it for legitimate research or for selling onwards for profit?

I started using Microsoft products back in the MSDOS days and progressed with the OS up until I retired from IT in 2007. I don't "dislike Microsoft" but I have dealt with the company long enough to understand their strengths and weaknesses.  And,  I am a Microsoft System Professional and a Microsoft System Engineer and an Information Technology / Computer Technology professional with 24 years of experience.  How about you? 
I'm looking at Microsoft products as they have progress over time, and I'm addressing the obvious weakness with the product model adopted by the company.  I've dealt with the company intimately with their system support including being our company's liaison with our Microsoft Premier Support contacts.  So no, I'm not some anti-MS ideologue, but I have had issues with the direction the company has chosen to take in their product design, implementation, and support.  And I'm old enough to have watched IBM take the same route with their products and service prior to losing market share and crashing - it's called technological hubris: "We know what the customer needs better than what the customer wants."  That approach will implode the company over time.  So you sir, your credentials and experience are???   If you're going to imply that I'm a hack, let hear about your professional background.  And even if you are just a happy user, that's fine.  I can respect that.  Respect is a two way street.  Respect my opinion also.  That's all.  Your assertion that "given your obvious dislike of Windows10 just what are you up to" has little thought and not much analytical capacity behind the assertion.

Edited by connda

2 hours ago, gamini said:

I agree entirely.  I unfortunately upgraded to win 10 and after more that a year i still cant find applications and files and I really dont know how to work it.  but how do i get win 7 back?? I bought a PC from somewhere in Pantup plaza with win 7 installed. I have no win 7 backup disk . Please help.

If you can find your data files and copy them, then you could reinstall Windows 7.  However, you'll also need to understand how to get your application settings migrated back too.  That's may be tough.  That's why I recommend that everyone, regardless of the OS they choose to use, learn how to backup their partitions or their entire disks.  Disk and partition images are one heck of a lot easier to restore than reinstalling an OS and trying to recover from backups.  Don't feel bad.  Most people just don't understand this until they have lost data or find that they want to go back to their old OS.  Learn from your mistakes and I won't happen again!.  I feel your pain.  I've been there.

Edited by connda

4 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

"Can I ask why you are making this "Poll", is it for legitimate research or for selling onwards for profit?"

Lol.  No my dear fellow, I have no ulterior motive - I'm simply curious.  :smile:

Edited by connda

1 minute ago, connda said:

"Can I ask why you are making this "Poll", is it for legitimate research or for selling onwards for profit?"

Lol.  No my dear fellow, I'm simply curious.  :smile:

scottiejohn has approached with some reasonable questions and you come back full on defensive and spew out a career history.

Why not just answer his questions as the professional you claim to be.

Oh, and before you ask my credentials, I make the tea and coffee at one of Thailands largest data centers.

19 minutes ago, maxpower said:

scottiejohn has approached with some reasonable questions and you come back full on defensive and spew out a career history.

Why not just answer his questions as the professional you claim to be.

Oh, and before you ask my credentials, I make the tea and coffee at one of Thailands largest data centers.

Thanks for the chuckle.  But I answered his questions, and I'm far from being on the defensive.  I have the background and experience to back up what I'm saying.  So grab a beer, chill, and go back and read my relies.  I'm not on the defensive at all.  I've backed assertions I've made based on my professional experience.
And as for Mr. SJ, no, I'm not being paid, I'm not doing anything with the relies, and this is simply to satisfy my own curiosity.  Did I miss anything he asked?  Nope. So let's move on.

If you like Windows 10, then state why and support your arguments.  I love a good discussion.  Chime in, but be intelligence about it.  Compare and constant your experiences with the OS's you've used both positive and negative. 
Add some value to the discussion!  Let's hear your opinion of the product!  :thumbsup:

Edited by connda

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Thanks for the chuckle.  But I answered his questions, and I'm far from being on the defensive.  I have the background and experience to back up what I'm saying.  So grab a beer, chill, and go back and read my relies.  I'm not on the defensive at all.  I've backed assertion I've made based on my professional experience. 
If you like Windows 10, then state why and support your arguments.  I love a good discussion.  Chime in, but be intelligence about it.  :thumbsup:

There you go again bla bla bla. I think its time to hang up your IT hat. Over and out.

Edited by maxpower

Personal preference really. I like it and some people I know tells me it slows their pc. And some features might not work, was Bluetooth for me, I had to buy a dongle.

It's much easier to format on windows 10 than any other versions

I updated for free one of PCs past the free 1 year 10 update. Google helped

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

I did do the free upgrade to W10 but reverted to W7.

W10 twice decided to update at the most inopportune times leaving me almost missing deadlines for my work.

I recently decided to give it another go only to find the the Windows store would totally refuse do download anything.

Not impressed at all.

Will probably have to upgrade eventually but no immediate plans to do so,

Me too. The reason being that there was no driver for my Acer Travelmate 7730g laptop.

I have 1 old laptop with Win 7 and a newer one with WIn 8.1 .  

I have no intention to upgrade to Win 10 ,

I love my Win 7 computer. It's running smooth and I am in full control of all the applications . 

I like to compare it with driving a car , I prefer to drive myself, with Win 10 you feel you give away the wheel to someone else.  No thanks. 

Edited by balo

I had no intention of going to Win 10, was going to migrate to a Linux, probably Mint.  I'm a Unix veteran, going back to the 1980s.

Then my laptop died last year, bought a new one that came with Win 10 Home Edition.  For me the paradigm warp was having to learn about UEFI when I was setting up my partitions, but that is not a Windows thing per se.

I don't use any of the newer interface stuff, like Aero or whatever else, my plain desktop looks like I had it with XP.  I do like the new dashboard-type Start menu, and as far as my day-to-day usage that's about the only difference, still using Firefox, LibreOffice, EditPlus, IDM, Winamp (!) and a lot of legacy utilities that have been updated.  I don't use Edge, the same way I never used IE, and despise the App Store.  Yeah, system maintenance is a partially a new scheme, some of it is the same old panels that go back years.

I'm anticipating the worst when Windows becomes a full subscription service, that's probably when I'll jump ship.

I tried the free upgrade. I could not figure out anything. Not even turning my laptop off. I quickly changed back to windows 7. Nothing against Microsoft but it wasn't intuitive at all. I will wait until it is time to purchase a new laptop in 3-4 years. My current laptop is 18 months old. 

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:43 AM, connda said:

Regarding upgrading to Win 10 'for free', as my grandad use to say, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."  Look for the strings that are attached. 

You left out Windows 8...

"Think: WIndow XP good, WIndows Visa  sucks, Windows 7 good, Windows 10 ???"

Should be:  ... Win 3.1 good, Win 95 sucked, NT4 good, Win 98 sucked, Win 2000 good, ME sucked, XP good, Vista sucked, 7 good, 8 sucked, Win10 ???  (up thru ME the OSs were DOS-based, so maybe a good reason to start the list with XP...)

I build my own PCs and will install Win10 on my next one - it'll be all new HW anyway so no driver issues - but I'm still quite happy with my current Win7 PC and see no compelling reason to "upgrade" the OS.