Blade Runner fans?

soistalker

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blade Runner  is in my top 3 Movies ...But to be honest meeting up with a total stranger and sharing a bucket of pop corn in a darkened environment  scares the be juzus out of me .. But I will be going to see the movie ....but it'll be a Billy no mates experience for me  ...

23 minutes ago, soistalker said:

Don't bust my balls; I've got a four year lifespan.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate . Lady-boys walking hand in hand with  Arabs  in Pattaya  All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die".

5 hours ago, banglay said:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate . Lady-boys walking hand in hand with  Arabs  in Pattaya  All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die".

The 'tears in rain" line was actually an improvisation by Rutger Hauer on the eve of the final filming. It's gone down as one of the best dying speeches in cinematic history.

5 hours ago, banglay said:

15 minutes ago, UnkleMoooose said:

Indiana Jones chasing robots. What's not to love.

If we or anybody else could really tell who was a skin job and who wasn't . . 

I am an enormeous fan of the first movie, not sure about this one and the bad guy is so awful you

wonder what his problem is. I think he needs bad guy therapy, is he a skin job too? 

They walk among us. . . . 

1 hour ago, UnkleMoooose said:

Indiana Jones chasing robots. What's not to love.

Um, Ford doesn't do much in this one. Probably just brought in to get more people paying to see it.

Spoiler alert-

it's about 30 minutes too long and I had to look it up on Wikipedia to understand what the heck happened.

Visually amazing, but somewhat lacking in the plot, IMO.

However, I'd still go, just to see the special effects.

No way it would be as spectacular on a tv screen.

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

The 'tears in rain" line was actually an improvisation by Rutger Hauer on the eve of the final filming. It's gone down as one of the best dying speeches in cinematic history.

Agreed. Unfortunately I watched a butchered version where they cut out most of the speech. They needed being put in a cell with an angry replicant.

57 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agreed. Unfortunately I watched a butchered version where they cut out most of the speech. They needed being put in a cell with an angry replicant.

Another great line was Roy with Tyrell, his creator, when Tyrell says " The candle that shines twice as brightly burns only half as long".

I've always thought it was a crying shame Hollywood did not put Ridley Scott in charge of directing "Dune". The book was butchered by De Laurentis and David Lynch.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I just watched that. Back when Ford wasn't so full of himself that he actually bothered to act.

Great scene though. That music was amazing too.

Speaking of music and movies, I saw the trailer for the new Thor movie, the music was Zeppelin's Immigrant song..made the whole trailer better..

24 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Another great line was Roy with Tyrell, his creator, when Tyrell says " The candle that shines twice as brightly burns only half as long".

I've always thought it was a crying shame Hollywood did not put Ridley Scott in charge of directing "Dune". The book was butchered by De Laurentis and David Lynch.

There may be hope of better:

This morning, we learned that Denis Villeneuve, who directed Sicario and the heavily Oscar-nominated Arrival, not to mention the upcoming sequel Blade Runner 2049, has signed on to direct a new adaptation of Dune, Frank Herbert’s classic novel about the machinations surrounding a desert planet which supplies the universe’s most valuable commodity. This is excellent news: Villeneuve is an outstanding director. But it’s also interesting because this could be the start of a much bigger franchise.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/1/14471312/dune-movie-adaptation-director-denis-villeneuve

The low-budget Dune miniseries is a worthwhile supplement to the 1984 film. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/

Lot of memorable lines in the original Blade Runner. "He can breathe OK as long as nobody unplugs him." Some just throwaway but made large by the context.

Shall we continue? [Holden to Leon]

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Um, Ford doesn't do much in this one. Probably just brought in to get more people paying to see it.

Spoiler alert-

it's about 30 minutes too long and I had to look it up on Wikipedia to understand what the heck happened.

Visually amazing, but somewhat lacking in the plot, IMO.

However, I'd still go, just to see the special effects.

No way it would be as spectacular on a tv screen.

Haven't seen the 2nd movie but the first was based on the Philip K. Dick novel, Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? and had a really good plot with some interesting ideas.
He wrote some really great science fiction. Always thought his book, Ubik, is just waiting to be made into a movie.
Looks like the 2nd movie suffered from not being based on one of his stories.

Saw it IMAX 3D @ Paragon. Largest screen in Thailand. Sadly, IMO, it did not live up to the rave reviews. Had high expectations, but it was too long and slow. Hard to match such a timeless masterpiece as the original. Kept waiting to be blown away by the story and it nevered happened. Still very cool, visually stunning and definitely a must see in a cinema on a big screen. 

I have seen it twice now, liked it better the second time.  Since I knew the story I paid more attention to the visuals stunning.  Will probably see it again.

So far the WW box office looks not great.

When a movie like Annabelle is destined to make much more money....?? 

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I have seen it twice now, liked it better the second time.  Since I knew the story I paid more attention to the visuals stunning.  Will probably see it again.

So far the WW box office looks not great.

When a movie like Annabelle is destined to make much more money....?? 

Its all a matter of taste. Annabelle I found enjoyable .This Blade Runner movie I found awful, boring and a total waste of the admission price.

The movie is what it is. Personally, I think it was ruined by long scenes such as k opening that horse for half an hour. The original doesn't have these "twin peaks" style scenes as they don't add anything to the story.

I find it ironic that he criticized dune (although he did say he has a massive respect for Lynch) in one of his interviews.

As for me I loved enemy and sicario and also his Quebec films like Polytechnique. Prisoners.....not so much.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

17 hours ago, i claudius said:

The only ending that comes close is on you tube as well its Sia singing breath me while you watch how everyone dies in the end from 6 feet under .a real tear jerker

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

IMHO one of the most moving endings ever in cinema is the closing scene of " O what a lovely war". An oldie but a goodie.

18 hours ago, bazza73 said:

A lot of things were wrong with Dune the movie.

The most memorable was when Kyle rode the worm with his hair blowing in the wind 555555555555555555

I can only surmise he insisted on not having his face covered so his adoring fans would not be deprived of his looks :cheesy:.

Another great book ruined by the film makers was The Beach, which Danny Boyle destroyed by allowing De Caprio to change the whole point of the book by letting him get the girl ( apparently De Caprio insisted on it and Boyle was too star struck to say no ). 

BTW Scott isn't always great. The execrable Robin Hood springs to mind.