Blade Runner fans?

soistalker

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A lot of things were wrong with Dune the movie.

The most memorable was when Kyle rode the worm with his hair blowing in the wind 555555555555555555

I can only surmise he insisted on not having his face covered so his adoring fans would not be deprived of his looks :cheesy:.

Another great book ruined by the film makers was The Beach, which Danny Boyle destroyed by allowing De Caprio to change the whole point of the book by letting him get the girl ( apparently De Caprio insisted on it and Boyle was too star struck to say no ). 

BTW Scott isn't always great. The execrable Robin Hood springs to mind.

I've always wondered why the movie industry has never attempted to redo  "Hereward the Wake" by Charles Kingsley.

It was a TV series in 1965, and with modern video graphics should be as good as Vikings or Game of Thrones.

I did like the Kevin Costner version of Robin Hood better.

Imagine "Dune" with Anthony Hopkins as Baron Harkonnen, Brad Pitt as Paul MuaDib, Gene Hackman as Shaddam IV and Helen Mirren as Gaius Helen Mohiam. Except there probably wouldn't be enough room on the set for the egos.

Edited by bazza73
Add

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A lot of things were wrong with Dune the movie.

The most memorable was when Kyle rode the worm with his hair blowing in the wind 555555555555555555

I can only surmise he insisted on not having his face covered so his adoring fans would not be deprived of his looks :cheesy:.

Another great book ruined by the film makers was The Beach, which Danny Boyle destroyed by allowing De Caprio to change the whole point of the book by letting him get the girl ( apparently De Caprio insisted on it and Boyle was too star struck to say no ). 

BTW Scott isn't always great. The execrable Robin Hood springs to mind.

Offset "the execrable Robin Hood" with the brilliant The Duellists.

Saw Blade Runner today. Too long and dull.

Edited by champers

57 minutes ago, champers said:

Offset "the execrable Robin Hood" with the brilliant The Duellists.

Saw Blade Runner today. Too long and dull.

Duellists was brilliant.

Alien was the best ever sci fi, IMO

But, he also made GI Jane and Exodus :saai:

He really has made a lot of films though, most of which were a great watch.

Saw it this week. The cinematography and music is outstanding and Ryan puts in a great performance. The plot however is pretty thin and it's too long. I was suffering from hypothermia by the time it ended. See it at the cinema because it won't be the same on a tv.

10 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Saw it this week. The cinematography and music is outstanding and Ryan puts in a great performance. The plot however is pretty thin and it's too long. I was suffering from hypothermia by the time it ended. See it at the cinema because it won't be the same on a tv.

Yes, I agree. There is at least half an hour of Ryan looking off into space or looking at his hands, That would not be missed. And like many sequels, not much thought is given to a story or plot.

6 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Great book and two lousy movies.

The Beach was a mediocre book and movie IMHO. I could never understand why they were so popular.

Great reads are more than the words on the page. One needs to have an imagination as well.

However, the film falls in the category of "could have been great" and De Caprio was a disaster. Ewan McGregor as Richard and a director that stuck to the book could have made a classic. Unfortunately, there was a great deal of miscasting in the film, along with a stupid screenplay.

Related information that not many people know- the big Buddha in the opening scene was made of polystyrene and remained in Krabi Town for some years after. Sadly replaced by a shop now.

The On On hotel in Phuket town substituted for the guest house in Khao San. Still there.

The bus scene in the movie with the vehicle engine hood removed is BS. Phuket buses of that era had engine covers.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 10/11/2017 at 1:22 AM, katana said:

Haven't seen the 2nd movie but the first was based on the Philip K. Dick novel, Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? and had a really good plot with some interesting ideas.
He wrote some really great science fiction. Always thought his book, Ubik, is just waiting to be made into a movie.
Looks like the 2nd movie suffered from not being based on one of his stories.

Ya, that Dick get's around!  Here is a surprising list of his works that have gone on to make other things:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_adaptations_of_works_by_Philip_K._Dick

Have read a few of the books (Do Androids Dream, Ubrik) and some stories (We can remember it for you whole sale, etc..).  Was about as surprised at the list as I was of the many movies from Roald Dahl books (I only knew of Willy Wonka).

On 10/12/2017 at 1:25 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Great reads are more than the words on the page. One needs to have an imagination as well.

However, the film falls in the category of "could have been great" and De Caprio was a disaster. Ewan McGregor as Richard and a director that stuck to the book could have made a classic. Unfortunately, there was a great deal of miscasting in the film, along with a stupid screenplay.

Related information that not many people know- the big Buddha in the opening scene was made of polystyrene and remained in Krabi Town for some years after. Sadly replaced by a shop now.

The On On hotel in Phuket town substituted for the guest house in Khao San. Still there.

The bus scene in the movie with the vehicle engine hood removed is BS. Phuket buses of that era had engine covers.

Dicaprio was great in this movie.....and in many others

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In your opinion. Mine is that he was rubbish, and he destroyed the essence of the book by insisting on getting the girl.

The shame of Boyle is that agreed.

However, Di Caprio has been good in other movies.

"Blood Diamond" was good. "The Great Gatsby" was crap. IMHO Matt Damon with John Malkovich in "Rounders" was a very enjoyable film.

statue.jpg.a2d9db752d33d3dc0fa5a63338359a8e.jpg

2049 a mostly satisfying sequel to the original. Main flaws are a creaky plot, slowness in some parts, and sadistic comic book villains. Harrison Ford is a disappointment since he's so far decayed; I can see how he missed his runway and almost ran into an airliner recently. That said, the visuals are stunning, the acting's good, the main squeeze, though unsqueezable, is a real beauty, and some of the future tech is interesting. In fact to entice TVF members to go see it we should probably mention the remarkable and quite unique "technological threesome" which seems derived from a scene in the movie Her.

Nice allusions throughout to the original.I wouldn't sit through it again in a theatre but I'll probably see it a couple more times when it comes out on DVD.

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In your opinion. Mine is that he was rubbish, and he destroyed the essence of the book by insisting on getting the girl.

The shame of Boyle is that agreed.

However, Di Caprio has been good in other movies.

Weak script..Dicaprio saved the day ( and maybe Boyle's career) with a brilliant Oscar level performance.  The nutty guy from Trainspotting and lovely French gal also added a bit of spice.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:24 AM, torrzent said:

Weak script..Dicaprio saved the day ( and maybe Boyle's career) with a brilliant Oscar level performance.  The nutty guy from Trainspotting and lovely French gal also added a bit of spice.

Really? You don't think that Ewan McGregor couldn't have done as well or better?

It's all rather ironic any way, as the bagpackers that Richard despised all saw the movie and turned up in droves to see where they made the film, destroying Phi Phi in the process.

The big flaw in the film The Beach was that the island was meant to be almost impossible to reach: DiCaprio and friends had to swim there from the mainland and then jump off waterfalls à la Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid to reach it. However once there, when the islanders had to go and get supplies, suddenly they were miraculously able to leave and return by boat.
One film which does quite well in capturing a first visit to Thailand from a Western point of view is, IMO, Butterfly Man (2002).

3 hours ago, katana said:

The big flaw in the film The Beach was that the island was meant to be almost impossible to reach: DiCaprio and friends had to swim there from the mainland and then jump off waterfalls à la Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid to reach it. However once there, when the islanders had to go and get supplies, suddenly they were miraculously able to leave and return by boat.
One film which does quite well in capturing a first visit to Thailand from a Western point of view is, IMO, Butterfly Man (2002).

Not correct.  Leo and pals were dropped off on an adjacent island and swam from there.  They ended up on opposite side of the island to the Beach and hence had to do waterfall jump to get there.  As it is fiction, this is totally plausible.  The biggest weakness was the script as the beginning half was good, but like so many films the writers/producers ran out of ideas...

Not sure that's right. They had a map. Why would they take that circuitous route? The whole movie was about how difficult to get to and hidden the beach was. Hence the tricky route to get there.

Anyway, thought it was a ridiculous film. It was set in Thailand, but any Thai characters were almost non-existent. The only time I seem to remember a Thai actually saying something in the film was when one of the Thai drug runners said HUP PAHK  - 'Shut your mouth' to someone.
The whole story seemed like something a 14 year old might write without too much thought put into it.

If it had ended up with the clichéd, "Then I woke up and it had all been a dream", it wouldn't have been out of place.

Edited by katana

20 minutes ago, katana said:

Not sure that's right. They had a map. Why would they take that circuitous route? The whole movie was about how difficult to get to and hidden the beach was. Hence the tricky route to get there.

Anyway, thought it was a ridiculous film. It was set in Thailand, but any Thai characters were almost non-existent. The only time I seem to remember a Thai actually saying something in the film was when one of the Thai drug runners said HUP PAHK  - 'Shut your mouth' to someone.
The whole story seemed like something a 14 year old might write without too much thought put into it.

If it had ended up with the clichéd, "Then I woke up and it had all been a dream", it wouldn't have been out of place.

This is thread about Blade Runner 2049?

With undeniable credit to the amazing screenplay and remarkable special effects for that era....

...let's render hommage to one of the crucial ingredients of the movie...Vangelis and his legendary music score of the film...the Blade Runner theme remains as much of a legend !   :jap:....wonder if the 2049 sequel will stand up ?

Edited by observer90210

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, katana said:

You're memory is erroneous. It was the next door ISLAND, not the mainland and not able to go to THE island ( cliffs and armed drugrunners ), hence the difficulty. Did you miss the bit where they have to swim under water to reach the boat?

The Thais actually said a lot- perhaps you were sleeping. I learned about "jai yen, jai yen" from that movie.

Anyway, Boyle and Di Caprio conspired to ruin it.

Back to the OP, it just goes to show that the film companies are so desperate to make money that they resurrected this one and stuck Harrison in just to get his name on the billboard. They knew all us fans would go. I doubt it's going to get a cult following though. Too long, too confusing and too many special effects instead of a plot.

Edited by thaibeachlovers