Ipstar - Any Advice?

jitagon

No end in sight to the wait for a landline, and so, anyone have any experience of ipStar? Have heard that much ballyhooed 'air card', as well as not working in some areas, won't let you use Skype too. Well, being sold by CAT, no surprise there. So ipStar anyone?

I'm using CSLox STAR Express1 (using a satellite dish installed in the front yard here in Roi-Et), which apparently goes through IPSTAR. Does Skype and everything else fine (VPN etc), speeds are generally good, although sometimes service cna be patchy - sometimes it'll go down for a few hours without explanation. Speeds taken just a few minutes ago:

www.speedtest.net:

Singapore: 1100 ms ping, down 447 kbps, 156 kbps up

Sydney: 1500 ms ping, down 453 kbps, 115 kbps up

San Jose 1200 ms ping, down 374 kbps, 69 kbps

THe ping times are slow through a setallite, so expect a good delay when you're talking on skype.

[P.S. My first post, so go easy if I screw up ;-) ]

I'm using CSLox STAR Express1 (using a satellite dish installed in the front yard here in Roi-Et), which apparently goes through IPSTAR. Does Skype and everything else fine (VPN etc), speeds are generally good, although sometimes service cna be patchy - sometimes it'll go down for a few hours without explanation. Speeds taken just a few minutes ago:

www.speedtest.net:

Singapore: 1100 ms ping, down 447 kbps, 156 kbps up

Sydney: 1500 ms ping, down 453 kbps, 115 kbps up

San Jose 1200 ms ping, down 374 kbps, 69 kbps

THe ping times are slow through a setallite, so expect a good delay when you're talking on skype.

[P.S. My first post, so go easy if I screw up ;-) ]

I am planning to move up to Surin, and as of yet have no phone lines in my muban.

A friend has ipstart through TOT and pays 1500 baht per month for 256/128 kps.

The next step up according to TOT is 510/256 for 2200 baht per month.

My friend has the same issues you have in Roi Et.

I have satellite TV in Pattaya and will be moving the Dish, pole it is on and receiver.

I wonder if I can set up wireless satellite through my 7.5 ft dish.

Barry

have satellite TV in Pattaya and will be moving the Dish, pole it is on and receiver.

Barry

No you will not be able to use the same dish. A separate 1.5m Offset Ku dish will be installed

IPstar is a 2 way system,

The outdoor radio modules on the front of the dish receive the outlink (or downlink) using a conventional satellite television LNB (low noise block downconverter) and transmit the return link (or uplink) data to the satellite using a transmit block up-converter (BUC). The wireless service is always-on direct access. (Or nearly always on!!)

have satellite TV in Pattaya and will be moving the Dish, pole it is on and receiver.

Barry

No you will not be able to use the same dish. A separate 1.5m Offset Ku dish will be installed

IPstar is a 2 way system,

The outdoor radio modules on the front of the dish receive the outlink (or downlink) using a conventional satellite television LNB (low noise block downconverter) and transmit the return link (or uplink) data to the satellite using a transmit block up-converter (BUC). The wireless service is always-on direct access. (Or nearly always on!!)

Note the operative word in his message "wireless"

Someone should explain the difference from satellite internet and wireless internet to him ...

As yes you could use your 7.5' move system on Thaicom 1 or Thaicom 5 with their baby 2 watt ODU for their Ku band service (although it would not mount well on a 7.5' move dish [a dynasat I suspect] and they will not sell tODU's seperate to my knowledge) or even Speedcast on their C band service on Asiasat 4 (sold here in Thailand by CAT 4120-27500-H)

As to Wireless you need a 2.4ghz antenna positioned in the LNB or Focal point of the dish but with the arc of the C belt you would not be facing anyone else on Wireless [if you do you will not see satellite TV], although we have used 2.4m solid dishes here in BKK to test wifi across town and it works well provided there is a clear line of sight from here in Klong Tan to Plama 7)