bar ripped me off, sick of walking away

pumpjack

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:02 AM, impulse said:

Well, which is it?

Quit whining. Stop going to the bars and do your drinking at home... You should know you and every other foreigner is a walking ATM so you should expect to be a victim.  You got caught being a victim of your own devices.  Booze and Bar Girls....

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Bigfarang1948 said:
On 10/11/2017 at 4:02 PM, impulse said:

Well, which is it?

Quit whining. Stop going to the bars and do your drinking at home... You should know you and every other foreigner is a walking ATM so you should expect to be a victim.  You got caught being a victim of your own devices.  Booze and Bar Girls....

Hell, I haven't had a drink in a bar or at home since 1988.  And haven't had any bar girls in Thailand, either.  Ever.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, observer90210 said:

The golden rule in Thai Bars....never let the bill add up...always pay each time you order.

In fact in restaurants however, I also always openly write down the amounts of the dishes or drinks ordered on my phone or on a paper and make sure the employees see what I am doing...it avoids the temptation to overcharge on the final bill...

The farang will never be in his right and is just a walking ATM for many such venues....

Keep that in mind, be safe with common sense and enjoy the chicks and the booze...

I bet the staff just love you.

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, rodney earl said:

Pay as you go is always a good idea.!!

Jeez, I can't believe that this thread has been going for so long and on something so trivial and easily rectified.
The suggestion in this post that you "pay-as-you-go" is a simple way to stop rip-offs and I have seen many people do it over the years, and it works okay for them.

If you are not inebriated and of sound mind, then you can often recall exactly what you have bought and for whom, if you don't want to pay-as-you-go, so there's an option, but it can become a little "tricky" if the booze has gotten to you.

If that is the case and you can't recall what you have bought and for whom, then you deserve all you get, and no point in arguing with the bar staff because you will never be right, so just walk away and vow never to go back to that bar again.

In the 10+ years I have been here I have visited many bars (not that it's a regular occurrence these days) and I have only been ripped off two or three times as I recall and then not for a great amount, and I simply don't go back.

Thai bar owners, and their staff, live for the moment and have no concept of repeat business, or the loss of that business, because they will gladly sacrifice any potential ongoing business for the price of one drink there and then.

Pay-as-you-go, be aware of your surroundings and don't get drunk and you will be fine.

Surely the end of the story here!!

On 12/10/2017 at 2:46 AM, soistalker said:

Observer is correct.

Are you guys ashamed to pay each time you get a drInk? Are you worried about what the staff will think about you? Maybe you think, after having a few beers, that as you leave, all the girls are thinking, "Well, there goes a really nice guy."

You know Soistalker's rule: Not one satang extra.

It's you cheap charlie local skinflints that gives us free-spending hit and run visitors a good name !

6 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

It's you cheap charlie local skinflints that gives us free-spending hit and run visitors a good name !

It's not really difficult for people working in the bars (and locals) to spot "free-spending hit and run visitors". Don't worry, go ahead and spent all your money. It's always amusing to observe visitors with more money than brain.

It's not really difficult for people working in the bars (and locals) to spot "free-spending hit and run visitors". Don't worry, go ahead and spent all your money. It's always amusing to observe visitors with more money than brain.

It's also amusing to observe the people on here getting all hot under the collar because they do so.
As you rightly say it's their money and they are free to throw it around as they see fit. You only say "more money than brains" because there is a tinge of jealousy because no doubt their free flowing of cash attracts the attention of bar girls however false that may be.
Each to their own. I would rather watch someone having fun and buying a few lady drinks than some grump with his half of draught dragging it out all night trying to get a cheap handful.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/12/2017 at 1:34 PM, bazza73 said:

I get out quite a lot, just not to bars. I am quite comfortable with my own company, or that of my GF.

Here's one of the places I've been to recently.

erotic_2.jpg:sad:

And to think about how offended the Thai government got about two gay fellows doing a bit of mooning while the only thing missing on this statue is a bull's eye.. :smile:

16 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I read your post and my reply remains unchanged.    A man may "regularly" visit bars act as a gentleman and mind his business.    Does he deserve to be ripped off?

Indignant? Maybe I should have said he shouldn't be surprised. 

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

It's also amusing to observe the people on here getting all hot under the collar because they do so.
As you rightly say it's their money and they are free to throw it around as they see fit. You only say "more money than brains" because there is a tinge of jealousy because no doubt their free flowing of cash attracts the attention of bar girls however false that may be.
Each to their own. I would rather watch someone having fun and buying a few lady drinks than some grump with his half of draught dragging it out all night trying to get a cheap handful.

I see from time to time guys who have five or more girls around them and the guy buys them one round after the other. And obviously the girls laugh about any joke he makes. What a great time. But after an hour and a bill of maybe 5,000B he should ask himself if he could have had more fun for that money maybe just with one or two girls...

I see from time to time guys who have five or more girls around them and the guy buys them one round after the other. And obviously the girls laugh about any joke he makes. What a great time. But after an hour and a bill of maybe 5,000B he should ask himself if he could have had more fun for that money maybe just with one or two girls...

His money his choice. I think from someone watching from the outside he's probably looks a bit of a mug but as long as he's having a good time and not hurting anyone in the process good luck to him. I have a friend who resembles this, he's a nightmare when we go to gogos. We always start off with ground rules but after a few he wants to treat the world and every lady in the gogo comes sniffing around.
At this point I usually have to drag him out.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Many moons ago was at one of those dodgy upstairs bars in Patpong showing the ropes to a friend who was over as you do...anyway a Yank comes in in Hawaiian shirt and shorts looked to be in his seventies. Anyway as soon as he entered the bar he was surrounded by a gaggle of beauties all smiling and getting drinks and 100 baht bills he was showering around the place. My wife asked the mama-san who he was. Turned out he was a very rich old-retiree who loved the attention and loved to spend the money. 20k in a session was not unusual sometimes more. I shook his hand on the way out - he said there were no pockets in shrouds and he didn't want his ungrateful (as he put it) family getting his money when he was gone. A great show to watch to be sure.

8 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Many moons ago was at one of those dodgy upstairs bars in Patpong showing the ropes to a friend who was over as you do...anyway a Yank comes in in Hawaiian shirt and shorts looked to be in his seventies. Anyway as soon as he entered the bar he was surrounded by a gaggle of beauties all smiling and getting drinks and 100 baht bills he was showering around the place. My wife asked the mama-san who he was. Turned out he was a very rich old-retiree who loved the attention and loved to spend the money. 20k in a session was not unusual sometimes more. I shook his hand on the way out - he said there were no pockets in shrouds and he didn't want his ungrateful (as he put it) family getting his money when he was gone. A great show to watch to be sure.

I hope he made some video to send his family. Or maybe show them at his funeral with the family around.

PAYG (pay as you go) was someone's advice! My partner who is 100% Thai has always informed me "DO NOT TRUST ANYONE" so I have lived by that Mantra as sound advice. All part of the learning curve sadly.

I think better advice is... dont hang out in crappy beer bars.

There's plenty of decent places to go out in this country and life's too short to hang out in some dung hole where the highlight is having your neck massaged by an octagenerian in a mini skirt and boob tube.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

Why? Obviously a non bar visitor.
Easy way is to sign the check each time you order and make sure the staff know you are doing that, then only pay for those that you sign, saves any arguments or nasty situations.
It boggles the mind why anyone would enter an establishment where they felt thisnecessary.

3 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

It boggles the mind why anyone would enter an establishment where they felt this necessary.

I think "necessary" is relative. Sometime when I am in a bar (where I am a regular), sitting together with other regulars, friends order a round, and then they order a drink for a girl, and then maybe someone else buys a drink for this or that person, it can get confusing for the staff and for the punters. Some guys feel more comfortable when then sign their bills, and with some of them I think it's good that they do that. Because maybe later at night they don't remember anymore so clearly who bought a drink for whom. There doesn't have to be cheating involved. Sometimes it's just a question of who gets the bill for the last three beer and that lady-drink...

I think "necessary" is relative. Sometime when I am in a bar (where I am a regular), sitting together with other regulars, friends order a round, and then they order a drink for a girl, and then maybe someone else buys a drink for this or that person, it can get confusing for the staff and for the punters. Some guys feel more comfortable when then sign their bills, and with some of them I think it's good that they do that. Because maybe later at night they don't remember anymore so clearly who bought a drink for whom. There doesn't have to be cheating involved. Sometimes it's just a question of who gets the bill for the last three beer and that lady-drink...
I think the key here is 'order a drink for a girl'

These establishments are by definition criminal enterprises. Run by pimps, they are (from the owners perspective) simply places to extract money from people with their dicks at the helm

The customers are, by definition 'marks'. 90% of the working girls have Thai partners yet white knights regularly 'rescue' them from their plight.

You go to such places, there's a long line of complete idiots that have gone before you, throwing crazy amounts of money around for lub.

Presumption is that every guy in through the door is a patsy (even though there's no doors)..

Better off going somewhere nice if you want to be treated with respect. Beer bars really are for the desperate...

10 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

These establishments are by definition criminal enterprises. Run by pimps, they are (from the owners perspective) simply places to extract money from people with their dicks at the helm

Your comment makes pretty clear that you don't know what you are talking about.

14 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

14 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

Beer bars really are for the desperate...

I remember "back in the good old days" in Blighty and the like, that going to the local pub was a regular pastime, in fact I knew guys that would go there six nights a week.

There are very few pubs here and for my money many of these bars fulfil the same need. Sure there are many bars here who have working girls and that's always been the way, however there are bars which don't operate like that.

I know bars here that have girls who work there and who are not available for customers, that is until such time as they have their own free time and then it's up for them to do what they wish.

I have several friends who own bars and none of them operate in the way in which you suggest, and indeed I and a few other friends occasionally meet up for a beer and a chat because it would be a social event, much the same as it was in the days of the good old pub.

Just for clarity, I'm not saying that they are the same types of venues, what I am saying is that they fulfil a similar need – – a drink, friends, company, new acquaintances, a laugh and a joke and female company (who may or may not accompany you home if you/they so wish). 

:smile:

I can go along with your post because you said "crappy" beer bars.

I for one enjoy beer bars as I find them relaxing and the staff usually friendly and not pushy.

I would also avoid a "crappy" beer bar.

Also if someone is massaging my back I'm usually not able to see them. :smile:

Your comment makes pretty clear that you don't know what you are talking about.
Go on then genius. What did I write that wasnt true?

I have a number of Thai relatives that run bars like this. I know exactly what goes on, who gets paid off, rules for the girls employed. Ask away.and I'll educate you...

Is it the fact 90% of the girls have Thai boyfriends/husbands that bugs you?

Money lenders, drug dealers... so many ways to fleece the girls working there. It shouldnt be a shock when they fleece the punters...

6 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

Go on then genius. What did I write that wasnt true?

I have a number of Thai relatives that run bars like this. I know exactly what goes on, who gets paid off, rules for the girls employed. Ask away.and I'll educate you...

Is it the fact 90% of the girls have Thai boyfriends/husbands that bugs you?

Money lenders, drug dealers... so many ways to fleece the girls working there. It shouldnt be a shock when they fleece the punters...

Maybe your Thai relatives run bars like that. But because they do it like that is no prof, to quote you, that: "These establishments are by definition criminal enterprises. Run by pimps, they are (from the owners perspective) simply places to extract money from people with their dicks at the helm"

One of my best friends owns a couple of bars in Bangkok together with his Thai wife and I can assure you he is no criminal and no pimp. He likes many of his customers and they like him and he does this since 20 years. I could tell you some stories how he helped his employees but I guess you wouldn't believe it because it does not fit into your picture that bar owners must be criminals.