Video: Pick up driver carries on regardless after reversing over old lady with a stick

webfact

Video: Pick up driver carries on regardless after reversing over old lady with a stick

3pm.jpg

video screenshot

Comment was rife online after CCTV footage emerged of a trader in a pick-up truck reversing over an old lady walking with the aid of a stick.

The driver does not stop and just carries on reversing.

The footage was shared to Mem Pho Dam on Facebook where it was stated that she was not badly hurt, just shaken.

Someone mentioned that she was not blind but could not see very well and was indeed unwell.

The incident happened at the Sao Thong Market in Lopburi on Tuesday.

Some suggested that the driver of the pick-up could not see behind him because of a container in the rear of his vehicle but most people were shocked and angry that he did not get out to help the old lady.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-12

"Some suggested that the driver of the pick-up could not see behind him because of a container in the rear of his vehicle"

Logic would tell that if you can't see behind you, you should not drive backwards.

But this is Thailand and logic is in short supply.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Some suggested that the driver of the pick-up could not see behind him because of a container in the rear of his vehicle

The blue box did not cover his reversing camera!!! Driver more blind than the old lady!!!

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

"Some suggested that the driver of the pick-up could not see behind him because of a container in the rear of his vehicle"

Logic would tell that if you can't see behind you, you should not drive backwards.

..he needs one of these low-tech reversing sensors.

latest reversing sensor.jpeg

20 hours ago, thequietman said:

Oh, he seen her alright. When he began to reverse she was far away to have been in his wing mirrors. <deleted>!

There was a large box obscuring his view behind.

I am thinking the wing mirrors were not used.

18 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Please do not take this the wrong way but there are a number of factors involved in this incident and I am not trying to exonerate the driver.  Just looking at what the driver should have done and how the woman may have contributed to it. 

Firstly, the driver, in my opinion, is travelling too fast given he should expect people to be in the immediate area.  Looking at the way he is seated, the arm on the window frame, suggests he is lackadaisical in his approach to reversing the vehicle. I cannot say what speed he was travelling at but it certainly appears to be excessive considering the location.

Now, to say if you can't see behind you, then you don't reverse is an illogical statement. How do you think a truck driver, whose vehicle is fully loaded, reverses?  He/she does so by using their rear view mirrors but then they would do this many times everyday.  So using your logic, no loaded vehicle or any vehicle, where the rear view is obstructed would be able to reverse anywhere, especially when needing to unload or park.

Now, given that the elderly woman was walking in the middle of the driveway, it may well be that she was in the vehicle's blind spot and the driver did not see her.  She should have walked to the side, as you see the woman and child following the vehicle, were.   However, when she was pushed to the near side and away from the vehicle it appears she she came into view.

Had the woman been knocked to the ground, then I would think that the woman and child would have rushed to her aid, which it does not appear they did.  And I hope no one says that Thais generally mind their own business.  Men maybe but not the Thai woman, they rush to help.  Following the elderly woman being propelled to the nearside, the vehicle stopped, albeit briefly, then continued to reverse until it again stopped, this time a little longer.  Why no video of this, looking to sensationalise  the online post?  

Now I am assuming near the area where the elderly woman was. It stopped long enough for the driver to speak to her and to see if she was OK but as I was not there I cannot say this for sure, it's just the impression I get from looking at the video. All in all I'd say both contributed to the incident, the driver more then the woman but the driver certainly did not act in the manner as the title of this thread suggests. He did stop, actually twice, albeit on the first occasion it was very brief.:wai:

On 10/12/2017 at 1:44 PM, Bob12345 said:

mirrors allow one to drive backwards....also a driver can put his head out of drivers side window and be able to see

21 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

I see this often, people doing whatever totally oblivious to what`s going on around them. I think if aliens landed in a spaceship only 10 feet in front of them, they wouldn`t even notice. I wonder within these people`s minds, what planet they`re on.

It's called 'Living in a Parallel Universe' !

What was wrong with his back window,between two mirrors and the rear window he had plenty options for safe reversing,typical disregard for people having to use the road for walking,most probably has no licence,and certainly no manners or respect.If he couldnt see he should not be moving the truck.he should at the least use the horn to warn folk.