Prices continually rising

Number 6

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

Have you any idea of which brands / products may be involved that you can share?

No specifics but since I heard it directly from a businessman who also shifts 1.5m baht of imported booze out of Bangkok to the provinces weekly and stocks mostly British imported food and some Scandinavian stuff, it will be the good, northern European stuff.

The recent tax changes in alcohol are part of a whole slew of new tax and health and safety laws that are coming down the pipe. This includes imported food and even imposes strict licensing requirements on distributors moving meat, imported and local, across provincial borders.

Increases are expected across the board but with steeper ones forecast for places outside Bangkok with a decent sized, centralized farang demographic with an already half-decent, established imported food choice such as in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai, Udon Thani/Khon Kaen and Phuket/Krabi due to the transport licensing rigmarole. Pattaya, being closer to Bangkok may get a comparative break.

Edited by NanLaew

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've lived in Isaan since end of 2005 and noticed spiraling prices—especially lately—on most everything since then.  Some examples are large eggs used to be about ฿58- ฿60 for a flat of 30 'gorn'.  They're now double that.  Pork used to be about ฿60/kg and beef was only  ฿100/kg.  Where are those prices now? Butter at 7-11 used to be ฿56 and is now nearly  ฿100.  Archa beer was ฿26 for a large bottle while it's now  ฿49 thanks to sin-tax increases over the years.  Dining at the Korean style BBQ restaurants used to be ฿69 per person when I first moved to LOS.  That's more than doubled lately.  In fact, Thai eatery prices here in Roi Et have doubled just during the past couple of years.  I was supporting my now-former gf and her lovely 3 kids so always aware of grocery price increases.

I blame former PM Abhisit for much of this spiraling inflation as, under his 'leadership' there were frequent government price increase announcements across the board.  One horrible example was when he announced a whopping 30% increase on ALL building materials.  I'm guessing he was simply rewarding his rich Chinese-Thai corporate sponsors that helped him get elected.  Since then the Thais do what every other country does under spiraling inflation, they raise their prices to try to take home the same net amount.

Yep, the last few years have been more difficult for many expats, especially with the too-strong Thai currency.  It makes me wonder why gasoline and diesel are so damned expensive here since oil is traded in US dollars, which has been sucking hind tit against the baht for years now.

Also Thai monopolies are responsible for most uncompetitively high prices, especially imports.  Add to that the insane customs duties and fees on imports and it's bad news for the future for expats as well as Thais.  And Little P has been doing everything possible to restrict and reduce imports so we won't have that to worry about in the near future. [facepalm]

Edited by Jimbo in Thailand

Thai Consumer Price Index was 101.11 in July 2017, a year ago in October 2016 it was 100.52, April 2016 was 100.00.

Inflation rate is given to be 0.86% year-to-year 2nd October, whilst it was 0.32% September 1st, and 0.17% August 1st.

Compared to some foreign countries (at same web-page):

Euro Area 1.50%; Germany 1.80%; UK 2.90%; USA 1.90%

–and here: Cambodia 2.34%; Malaysia 3.70%; Philippines 3.40%; Vietnam 3.40%; and Singapore 0.40%.

In aveage and based on statistics, Thailand don't seem that bad...:smile:

I've lived in Isaan since end of 2005 and noticed spiraling prices—especially lately—on most everything since then.  Some examples are large eggs used to be about ฿58- ฿60 for a flat of 30 'gorn'.  They're now double that.  Pork used to be about ฿60/kg and beef was only  ฿100/kg.  Where are those prices now? Butter at 7-11 used to be ฿56 and is now nearly  ฿100.  Archa beer was ฿26 for a large bottle while it's now  ฿49 thanks to sin-tax increases over the years.  Dining at the Korean style BBQ restaurants used to be ฿69 per person when I first moved to LOS.  That's more than doubled lately.  In fact, Thai eatery prices here in Roi Et have doubled just during the past couple of years.  I was supporting my now-former gf and her lovely 3 kids so always aware of grocery price increases.

I blame former PM Abhisit for much of this spiraling inflation as, under his 'leadership' there were frequent government price increase announcements across the board.  One horrible example was when he announced a whopping 30% increase on ALL building materials.  I'm guessing he was simply rewarding his rich Chinese-Thai corporate sponsors that helped him get elected.  Since then the Thais do what every other country does under spiraling inflation, they raise their prices to try to take home the same net amount.

Yep, the last few years have been more difficult for many expats, especially with the too-strong Thai currency.  It makes me wonder why gasoline and diesel are so damned expensive here since oil is traded in US dollars, which has been sucking hind tit against the baht for years now.

Also Thai monopolies are responsible for most uncompetitively high prices, especially imports.  Add to that the insane customs duties and fees on imports and it's bad news for the future for expats as well as Thais.  And Little P has been doing everything possible to restrict and reduce imports so we won't have that to worry about in the near future. [facepalm]

I thought everyone in isaan already owned chickens and pigs?

9 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Villa market are crazy expensive on imports and local stuff as well. 4 small tomatoes 40 baht the same price as a kilo at Tesco.

Yet I see farang with a full trolley of imported food.

A couple of things from my perspective...........

Firstly, some of the stuff these days at Villa Market is on a par, or sometimes cheaper than at Big C, this because I think they've realised they are probably pricing themselves out of the local expat market, which is their bread and butter.

As for the tomatoes, well I've never found a decent tomato produced in Thailand or China, so, like the farang and his shopping trolley, I too seek out the tasty tomatoes and really don't mind what I pay for them, within reason. Nothing quite like washing a tasty smallish size tomato and eating it whole to savour the taste that all old-fashioned tomatoes used to have!!

Secondly, in general prices will go up because of inflation, supply and demand, droughts and so on and I still believe I am very lucky to live in a place like Thailand where food in general is still so very cheap – – I can make a Thai green chicken curry for less than 100 baht, Laab moo at around 55 baht, any amount of pasta dishes with accompanying sauce and additions for the same and so on. Not only that I can dine in one of my favourite Italian restaurants and a main course will cost about 33% of what it would back in my home country.

The good thing about this place is one can adjust one's eating habits to suit the local produce and local cuisine (if that's what one has to do) and in doing so this becomes a tremendously cheap place in which to live.

3 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

My local market, cheaper than ever before, 4 bell peppers 10bht, 1Kg tomatoes 10bht, 1Kg onions 10bht, 1Kg potatoes 20bht.

Supermarkets ain't the place to buy local goods, unless you're rich or stupid.

IMG_20170611_163655.jpg

That's great, unless you live central BKK with no such market around.

I don't think I'm rich or stupid, but sure lazy to travel 1+ hour for few kgs of vegetables :) Probably 0 savings after paying transport. Better to order home delivery from Tesco.

That's great, unless you live central BKK with no such market around.

I don't think I'm rich or stupid, but sure lazy to travel 1+ hour for few kgs of vegetables :) Probably 0 savings after paying transport. Better to order home delivery from Tesco.
Those prices he quoted are waaay out in the sticks. 10 baht a kilo for tomatoes? Not in Chiang mai, phuket or pattaya that's for sure let alone bangkok

45 minutes ago, xylophone said:

A couple of things from my perspective...........

Firstly, some of the stuff these days at Villa Market is on a par, or sometimes cheaper than at Big C, this because I think they've realised they are probably pricing themselves out of the local expat market, which is their bread and butter.

As for the tomatoes, well I've never found a decent tomato produced in Thailand or China, so, like the farang and his shopping trolley, I too seek out the tasty tomatoes and really don't mind what I pay for them, within reason. Nothing quite like washing a tasty smallish size tomato and eating it whole to savour the taste that all old-fashioned tomatoes used to have!!

Secondly, in general prices will go up because of inflation, supply and demand, droughts and so on and I still believe I am very lucky to live in a place like Thailand where food in general is still so very cheap – – I can make a Thai green chicken curry for less than 100 baht, Laab moo at around 55 baht, any amount of pasta dishes with accompanying sauce and additions for the same and so on. Not only that I can dine in one of my favourite Italian restaurants and a main course will cost about 33% of what it would back in my home country.

The good thing about this place is one can adjust one's eating habits to suit the local produce and local cuisine (if that's what one has to do) and in doing so this becomes a tremendously cheap place in which to live.

My slight twist on your last paragraph would be:

The good thing about this place is one can adjust one's eating habits to suit the local produce and local cuisine (if that's what one has chooses to do) and in doing so this becomes a tremendously cheap place in which to live.

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Its called inflation,and its well above interest rates you can receive from banks,

although the Government says its much lower.

The prices of Onions,Potatoes,and other vegetables are more expensive here,than

in the UK,prices of imported products are also rising,even though the THB is very

strong,and the devaluation of the pound.even Thai produced goods are rising.

The wife's always complaining about prices in the market,where you could get 

3 of an item,for 20 THB, you now get 2,other stuff you get less at same price.

regards worgeordie

All dairy products seem to be grossly overpriced compared to the UK.

14 hours ago, koolkarl said:

All governments everywhere have been saying the same thing for years, that

there is no inflation. There is a lot of inflation everywhere. Governments want

almost zero interest as their debt is sky high and paying interest to prudent savers

will crimp politicians power. 

Dump all paper currencies and buy bitcoin with all you got; then see who will be smiling.

Bitcoin? You heard what happened to Mt. Gox, losing all its customers' bitcoins to those hackers, right?

16 hours ago, berrec said:

Folks, just my observations, only been living here permanently this year but have been working regularly in and out of Thailand since 1978.

In the early days I recognized there were the 1% rich and the 99% dirt poor population, over the last 15 years I have seen this middle class population developing in Thailand, now very strong and noticeable. 

Middle class provides , better educated individuals, better paying employment opportunities, have more spending power in the economy and offer a stronger consumer base.

I see these people in the big supermarkets and more expensive restaurants regularly in our area with the disposable income to pay higher prices.  

As stated in a previous thread it's all about supply and demand in addition to the side effects of  inflation and the strong Thai Baht.

I belive service providers of all categories are starting to recognize this middle class has the funds to pay higher prices for goods and services.

You then get a knock on effect as it filters down the line to local smaller food and grocery stores and street vendors. 

One good measure of this class's spending power is the price of houses here in BKK that they can finance.

We are currently renting but in the last 12 months we have been looking for a suitable house in a suitable area.

OMG the prices have gone through the roof in that 12 months....if there were no middle class to acquire many of these properties and we had surplus properties sitting empty, the whole supply and demand chain may reflect less price inflation across other goods and services.  

My2cents Worth

PS. Get use to paying higher prices unless the housing market collapses bigtime here in the future. 

I think you are correct but that principle doesn't seem to work with the second hand car market prices 

23 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Where do you buy oats. They are still the same price at gourmet market where I shop. Quaker oats are better, come in a can sort better protection against ants and are only a few baht more expensive.

I agree quaker are better and the can is nice , ( had mine for 9 years now ) but keep the can and refill it . Oats also good for a baldy head .;)

17 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

My wife buys me 7 coconuts for 100 baht in Bangkok. Chicken is still cheap, so is salad bar at gourmet market. Yolida now sells a good probiotic yoghurt for 20 baht. As long as these things are cheap I'll be ok.

Chicken breasts 35bht, Mince pork 52bht ..... prices are 3x -5x that in NZ

Tomatoes, onions 10bht/Kg, potatoes 20bht/Kg, bell peppers 10Bht/4, spaghetti 75bht/Kg

Just made Sicilian Chicken soup, serves 8 around 80bht for the lot.

My 10bhts worth (booze was extra) ......

IMG_20171008_145313.jpg

Edited by MaeJoMTB

8 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Tomatoes, onions 10bht/Kg, potatoes 20bht/Kg, bell peppers 10Bht/4, spaghetti 75bht/Kg

IMG_20171008_145313.jpg

Yummy

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I was surprised at the high prices of food in NZ when I went back 18 months ago, so expect them to have risen again on my trip back at Xmas!!

Only consolation is the Aussie red wines on special at many supermarkets (esp after a wine glut!).

Makes Thailand look very cheap by comparison.

7 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

IMG_20171008_145313.jpg

Wow ... enough for eight people for 80 baht ... did you used to work on a mountain? Actually I looked at Sicilian Chicken Soup recipes on the internet ... they looked to cost a little more than yours  ... I'll give them a try though.

I think in the last ten years prices have increased quite a lot ... I seem to recall diesel about  7-8 baht a ltr and petrol definitely cheaper than now... could be a little more than ten years ago though .... 

We were in the UK in the summer, and compared to Thailand Mrs R was startled at how cheap the  food was in supermarkets - especially meat and dairy. On a side note, good wines and beers were temptingly inexpensive too. I'd forgotten the pleasure of being able to drink decent wine and interesting beers without having to grit my teeth at the cost.

Thailand used to be cheap at one time, but that's no longer the case. The only things that are still relatively cheap are labour (services) and accommodation. Other than those, everthing else is on a par.

On 13/10/2017 at 5:28 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

All dairy products seem to be grossly overpriced compared to the UK.

That's because the supermarkets sell it at a loss and as they control the market they pay the dairy farmers nothing,when Brexit actually happens the big mega farmers will lose their subsidies and see what happens to prices then.remember Brexit hasn't happened yet it's just the phoney war.