Prices continually rising

Number 6

Here in Bangkok, just an observation. I usually buy the same items at the supermarket. I could rattle of the prices of 100 items easily. 

Over the past year, but especially the last few months I'm really seeing some hefty price increases. Much of this is on foreign food or snack sort of items but much of it staples? For instance, I used to eat McGarret Quick Oats b38. It went to 40. I swear I just saw it on sale for b42! 

The thing here is that the THB is crazy strong so imported goods should be cheaper.

Fruit off the cart is another one. It seems to have jumped from years ago b10 to b20. Sorry, slice of watermelon or some tiny pineapple is just not worth that. 

I love street food, many vendors continually lower the quality or provide less, even in better areas of Bangkok. Just put up the prices.

Rant over

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes - seems products' pricing is on an upward spiral....

Also - when dining out the portions are getting smaller in many places.....More squiggles & less food....

With the influx of Hard Rock, Hooters, etc., the locals see the higher pricing for less and are following the trend to maximize their profits....Which, of course aims at tourists, but affects us that live here....

Edited by pgrahmm

With price control in place only for the very basic food items, merchants

sees fit to raise prices at will and whims with no one having the pwoer

to control it, market's forces if you will, buy or not, they don't care, i have 

seen Thai shop keepers keeps items for years but will not drop the price to clear those old items out...

Edited by ezzra

Its called inflation,and its well above interest rates you can receive from banks,

although the Government says its much lower.

The prices of Onions,Potatoes,and other vegetables are more expensive here,than

in the UK,prices of imported products are also rising,even though the THB is very

strong,and the devaluation of the pound.even Thai produced goods are rising.

The wife's always complaining about prices in the market,where you could get 

3 of an item,for 20 THB, you now get 2,other stuff you get less at same price.

regards worgeordie

All governments everywhere have been saying the same thing for years, that

there is no inflation. There is a lot of inflation everywhere. Governments want

almost zero interest as their debt is sky high and paying interest to prudent savers

will crimp politicians power. 

Dump all paper currencies and buy bitcoin with all you got; then see who will be smiling.

Folks, just my observations, only been living here permanently this year but have been working regularly in and out of Thailand since 1978.

In the early days I recognized there were the 1% rich and the 99% dirt poor population, over the last 15 years I have seen this middle class population developing in Thailand, now very strong and noticeable. 

Middle class provides , better educated individuals, better paying employment opportunities, have more spending power in the economy and offer a stronger consumer base.

I see these people in the big supermarkets and more expensive restaurants regularly in our area with the disposable income to pay higher prices.  

As stated in a previous thread it's all about supply and demand in addition to the side effects of  inflation and the strong Thai Baht.

I belive service providers of all categories are starting to recognize this middle class has the funds to pay higher prices for goods and services.

You then get a knock on effect as it filters down the line to local smaller food and grocery stores and street vendors. 

One good measure of this class's spending power is the price of houses here in BKK that they can finance.

We are currently renting but in the last 12 months we have been looking for a suitable house in a suitable area.

OMG the prices have gone through the roof in that 12 months....if there were no middle class to acquire many of these properties and we had surplus properties sitting empty, the whole supply and demand chain may reflect less price inflation across other goods and services.  

My2cents Worth

PS. Get use to paying higher prices unless the housing market collapses bigtime here in the future. 

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Perhaps its time for you to increase her shopping allowance :sorry:

Nestle cornflakes still 90bht for 500gm

Aro rolled oats 100bht/Kg

Pride of Ceylon Tea bags 185bht for 100

Prices have been the same for the past 10 years, they go up a bit, they go down a bit.

Petrol is a lot cheaper at 25bht/l, 10 years back it was 30bht/l

My local market, cheaper than ever before, 4 bell peppers 10bht, 1Kg tomatoes 10bht, 1Kg onions 10bht, 1Kg potatoes 20bht.

Supermarkets ain't the place to buy local goods, unless you're rich or stupid.

If only the British pound was still worth 50bht ............

With the Baht at a record high, all the imports should be getting cheaper.

IMG_20170611_163655.jpg

Edited by MaeJoMTB

"Prices have been the same for the past 10 years, they go up a bit, they go down a bit.

But are you 100% sure about that in real terms?

Supermarket products get smaller ... but prices stay the same size

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/20/supermarket-products-smaller-size-prices-stay-same

Edited by midas

34 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Be prepared for further hikes on imported food. At major importer has either dropped or been dropped by Tesco Lotus and Big C but retains an exclusive deal with Central.

Have you any idea of which brands / products may be involved that you can share?

7 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Villa market are crazy expensive on imports and local stuff as well. 4 small tomatoes 40 baht the same price as a kilo at Tesco.

Yet I see farang with a full trolley of imported food.

Perhaps some farang have saved prudently for retirement and don't have to worry about a few baht added to their food bill every week.

I do not worry too much about prices as the fresh food here is cheap, but we do use "Allowrie" butter at breakfast and just noticed today 114 baht, up from 94 baht, at 7/11. It is manufactured in Bangkok so a rise of over 20% is ridiculus. Will check at Big C to see if the same.

Has anyone noticed a beer hike the past week. Up here last week a bottle of Chang was 68 B where I drink , last Monday it was 89 B. Super Market price has gone up 2-4 B for tax reasons so is it Maybe no one will notice ? I have , so next week I will be telling them peng peng and taking in my good Myanmar whisky at 100 B a bottle.

7 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

I do not worry too much about prices as the fresh food here is cheap, but we do use "Allowrie" butter at breakfast and just noticed today 114 baht, up from 94 baht, at 7/11. It is manufactured in Bangkok so a rise of over 20% is ridiculus. Will check at Big C to see if the same.

It's still under 100 at Makro.

7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Its called inflation,and its well above interest rates you can receive from banks,

although the Government says its much lower.

The prices of Onions,Potatoes,and other vegetables are more expensive here,than

in the UK,prices of imported products are also rising,even though the THB is very

strong,and the devaluation of the pound.even Thai produced goods are rising.

regards worgeordie

Some prices go up by 10%...this is not called inflation...this is theft...

Perhaps some farang have saved prudently for retirement and don't have to worry about a few baht added to their food bill every week.
You do realise the irony in your post. Saving prudently only to smash it in retirement at 300% mark up.

No the punters paying that money are not retirees but very well paid executives.

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Where do you buy oats. They are still the same price at gourmet market where I shop. Quaker oats are better, come in a can sort better protection against ants and are only a few baht more expensive.

Veering slightly off topic but re the ants, I bought one of these a couple of months ago, mainly for Mrs BM to pack stuff she buys in bulk & sells on, however I've found that I use it every day for re-sealing all sorts of stuff, cereal, flour, stuff I want to stick in the freezer - quick and simple to use and it's 100% ant proof.

bag.jpg

3 hours ago, recycler said:

On my trips to Europe I'm now called a supermarket tourist by my kids. I'm enjoying the low prices of quality food and drinks, looking forward to another trip soon!

Me as well , particularly the prices in Aldi and Lidl.

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Where do you buy oats. They are still the same price at gourmet market where I shop. Quaker oats are better, come in a can sort better protection against ants and are only a few baht more expensive.

I buy the same, have done so for the past 4 years.  When I lived in Loei was paying 108 Baht a can, now moved to Nakhon Pathom province and the same can costs 78 Baht. Also noted  a certain fruit juice that I paid 57 Baht for, forever and a day, has now jumped to 62 Baht for the litre.  That's a 20 cent increase when I compare that amount to the exchange rate with the Aussie dollar.  No big deal but I cannot see the justification. :wai: