Unable to use torrents in Thailand?

Hiro357

Hi,

I'm new so please excuse me if this sounds like a stupid question. But I've noticed since I've come to Thailand, I'm unable to download anything from piratebay's proxy sites or kissass torrent. I could search and download the seeds. But they never find any seeders or download anything successfully. 

Is this because it's illegal to use torrents in Thailand? A friend told me just a year ago he was able to download using torrent in Thailand. So I'm confused.

12 hours ago, RichCor said:

As mentioned, WiFi Hotspots and Mobile Internet will block torrents so that traffic doesn't drag down the throughput of their network. I few ISP's will also block torrents on some packages. 

Also as mentioned, you can many times invoke a VPN and go around this detection, if your VPN provider allows torrents.

Cheers. I'm using a laptop. 

So using a VPN could bypass this? Although it would even slow down the internet speed even more.

13 hours ago, KittenKong said:

This is probably because you are using some sort of shared hotel/apartment wifi that has been configured to prevent you from doing this.

If you get your own independent internet connection nothing will be blocked.

Thank you. That must be it. I'm using a hotel internet. My friend who lived in another hotel had no problem with it last year. So I guess the place I'm staying at blocked it on purpose.

The original Pirate Bay and KissAss are long gone. You can find some copy Pirate Bay and KickAss torrent sites but make sure you have a strong antivirus program running. I can access and download without VPN on. Using True.

Edited by RBOP
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, BWPattaya said:

I never use a vpn. 

I use uTorrent without any problems. 

When looking for torrents always check how many seeders and leechers there are. If there are no seeders your selected torrent won’t download. 

Same here, I have a VPN but do not need it for any torrent on The Pirate Bay proxies or from Torrentday - I would suggest the OP has something amiss in either his torrent client or possibly something to do with the firewall settings.

I use Bitport service, it s free for small files, basically the torrents got downloaded on some remote servers and then you download them directly via the browser, it has mutiple mirrors, I have an  independent TRUE ISP and it throttle the torrents in the daytime hours, speed increase only after midnight.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No it doesn't.

The reason for your problem with torrent sites is that most of them have been blocked.

- Kickass is no more but instead there are a number of fake site using some sort of Kickass abbreviation

- IsoHunt has also closed down and also for this site there are a couple of phonies

- The Pirate Bay was closed down but works again, but it now puts extra load on your computer

- Lime Torrent is malfunctioning too

- YIFI / YTS is another that has closed although their subtitle downloads still work

- Torrent King was down for a few days but worked yesterday again

The best way to download torrents now is to go Russian, and RuTracker is the probably the best. There are several other Russian site but many of them reguire membership and as they use cyrillic alphabeth it isn't so easy. (rutracker.org)

On the Russian sites you will most likely end up with a video with Russian dialogue. For non-Russian films you will therefore have to look for videos with more than one audio and convert the file to preferred language. I use these free video converters

- Freemake

- Handbrake

- Any Video Converter

Each of the have their pluses and minuses, depending on personal preferences I suppose. However, Any Video Converter is technically the best as it has so many options. Handbrake is good but slow, and Freemake is fast but please pay attantion to the Chinese too as they try to download all sort of extras if you don't watch out.

Good luck!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RichCor said:

As mentioned, WiFi Hotspots and Mobile Internet will block torrents so that traffic doesn't drag down the throughput of their network. I few ISP's will also block torrents on some packages. 

Also as mentioned, you can many times invoke a VPN and go around this detection, if your VPN provider allows torrents.

I use AIS aircard and they started throttling torrents so I downloaded Chrispc free proxy and all is ok.

Limetorrents.in was malfunctioning up to 6 months ago, but works very well now. EZTV is blocked by my anti-virus program due to malicious code in their adverts so I have switched to Limetorrents. RARBG is great but it takes time to get to the magnet links for each download.

5 hours ago, stgrhe said:

The reason for your problem with torrent sites is that most of them have been blocked.

- Kickass is no more but instead there are a number of fake site using some sort of Kickass abbreviation

- IsoHunt has also closed down and also for this site there are a couple of phonies

- The Pirate Bay was closed down but works again, but it now puts extra load on your computer

- Lime Torrent is malfunctioning too

- YIFI / YTS is another that has closed although their subtitle downloads still work

- Torrent King was down for a few days but worked yesterday again

The best way to download torrents now is to go Russian, and RuTracker is the probably the best. There are several other Russian site but many of them reguire membership and as they use cyrillic alphabeth it isn't so easy. (rutracker.org)

On the Russian sites you will most likely end up with a video with Russian dialogue. For non-Russian films you will therefore have to look for videos with more than one audio and convert the file to preferred language. I use these free video converters

- Freemake

- Handbrake

- Any Video Converter

Each of the have their pluses and minuses, depending on personal preferences I suppose. However, Any Video Converter is technically the best as it has so many options. Handbrake is good but slow, and Freemake is fast but please pay attantion to the Chinese too as they try to download all sort of extras if you don't watch out.

Good luck!

Yify still up and a great site, PM me if you want the link

• Like 1

Never had any problems here downloading torrents. My first ISP was TOT , then 3BB , and now I'm on AIS fibre. Piratebay still works here and I'm using Utorrent to download. No need for VPN , just use a local IP address. 

Edited by balo

13 hours ago, sikishrory said:

Problem seems to be that your using piratebay and kickass which were rubbished ages ago. 

Try https://torrentz2.eu 

Kickass has gone but pirate bay is alive and well, it was off for a while a couple of years ago but has been on ever since.

torrentz2 ends up pointing you to lots of paywall sites or pirate bay most of the time.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

Rather than reading some of the uninformed information/suggestions being made above (eg; use a Russian website in a language you do not understand-DUH!, to Kickass and PB are dead DUH! comments) I suggest people head over to the torrentfreak web site for the most up to date info on torrents. https://torrentfreak.com/ It should be noted that this is the web site most often quoted by the ThiaVisa Tech Newsletter when discussing torrent matters.

PS;  I strongly recommend signing up for the TV Tech newsletter.   The link is at the top of page one of this forum.

Edited by scottiejohn
added PS

On 10/14/2017 at 9:15 AM, RBOP said:

The original Pirate Bay and KissAss are long gone. You can find some copy Pirate Bay and KickAss torrent sites but make sure you have a strong antivirus program running. I can access and download without VPN on. Using True.

Pirate Bay still seems to be clean, but Kickass is really kicking ass with most available downloads. There's always other stuff coming first that nobody wants to have on a computer. 

• 11 months later...

Have you ever managed to connect on your new connection?  If not then it could be the port you were using is no longer valid or it could also be the speed settings as a big change in connection speed could result in your client not connecting.

My suggestion is use Deluge

https://deluge-torrent.org/

Then follow this guide to get it set up

www.techsupportalert.com/optimizing-deluge-speed

You will also need results from this test.

www.Speedtest.net