Car key with chip....need a copy.

mikey88

I have an older Yaris and the keys have a chip..

Anywhere in CM where I can get a copy done at reasonable price...?

The key is for my car in Australia...if that makes any difference.

$140 to get one done there..

any help appreciated....

Check with the key copy places in your local Oz shopping centre. Some cars need to be present to copy the keys. The key cutters have a book listing what cars need to be there and what don't.

If your car doesn't need to be present then the key cutting places in Thai shopping centres can cut and program the key for you. They have the chips and a machine that they drop your old key in plus the new chip and the code get copied. I've had a few keys copied this way. I found they all charge a standard price.

It would not surprise me. 

I don't have such a key system, but I see that he has "blanks" that are clearly ready for modern technology. This is SE Asia; I would expect that "unlocking" or booting a key to a car would be a piece of piss for them....

Normally you show an original KeyFob, along with that number and car make and model they can look

up the Key code. I would think they might not have codes for Australia models.

However as stated above these Keys are easily hacked with basic devices. No way to test it until you bring it back to Australia? Maybe waste of money.

I think the guy needs the transmitter in the key assembly! I had a Toyota Wish and I bought my replacement key on Ali Express for $1.28 US each and then had it cut for 30 baht. The key places in Korat wanted 1500-2000 THB.

1. The transmitter in the key, Toyota wanted 8000 THB for one which was ridiculous. I don't think a key man can duplicate a transmitter.
Edited by tomwct

Tesco-Lotus Kham Thien, upper floor near the washrooms is a small kiosk with a fellow selling many models of electronic keys.  I bought an extra for my Innova (yes, with transmitter.  The code was copied from the old key).  Cost? 690B

Edited by Rotweiler

I wanted a spare 'Electronic' key for my Honda.

Memory says B3,000 for the 'Blank' key from Honda. Then I had to take it a shop that would cut.

Location, coming from Chang Puack bus station to the roundabout where there is a shop which cut the key say B100.

Back to Honda dealer and the inserted key into my car did some 'Electronic' thing and I had my spare key.

john