Ekamai bridal studio faces losses of 50 million baht as basement shop floods

webfact

Ekamai bridal studio faces losses of 50 million baht as basement shop floods

4am.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A top end bridal studio with a thousand quality dresses in stock was submerged under flood water for more than three days after the record breaking deluge that hit Bangkok Friday.

The dresses were stored in the basement shop at a condominium complex and the shop had no insurance.

Now the recriminations have started with shop owners hoping that the condominium insurance will cover some of the 50 million baht losses.

A shareholder in Reina Bridal Thailand, Phatwadee Lertphanarak, said that the owners did not know what had happened until Saturday.

She blamed poor communications from the building management.

By then it was too late to save the dresses and other wedding gear. Much of it cannot be replaced and with dresses made from hand woven silk or imported cloth the cost is very high.

Many basements and other properties flooded on Friday night as some of the highest rainfall seen in three decades descended on the Thai capital wreaking havoc.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-18

31 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

No insurance? Wow. It really is a non-negotiable necessity of life in this day and age. 

The question is would insurance companies even insure a basement against flooding in Bangkok ??. Even if they did i would think the premiums would be sky high.

Wondering what they are going to do.  I am sure that a lot of the dresses could be sold as distressed to gain back some of the money.  I remember in Toronto a few businesses that made huge money buying and selling smoke damaged clothes.  While it may take some work I imagine that a Thai lady that wants an exciting dress may purchase it and get it fixed herself.

I know I would be interested in buying some if they were available to clean and resell

lo

i think they are just gonna have to swallow it and take responsibility. 50 million baht worth of goods easily damaged by filthy bkk water and they decide to store them in a basement. even after that bit of stupidity they failed to realise bkk was expecting floods and didn't move them. lastly. no insurance. i say no more

I really can't see the condo's insurance covering anything other than the building and the fixture and fittings. If they tried to get insurance and were declined due to it being a basement flat they will have chosen to self insure.

Personally at the fist indication that it was going to flood, I'd have been there to move the stock.