Bangkok is one of the most dangerous cities to live in, study says

webfact

16 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

BK is the capital of scams (for me, cannot talk for Pat as left quickly) It attracts the worst from other parts of the country, some serious non educated scammers waiting to meet you day and night there.

There may be some SCAMS happening in Bangkok but you really have to be stupid to fall for them. I

've never been taken  in by any scam and I lived there for 18 years. I don't care what country you go to there are going to be scam artists. Most scams focus on GREED. If you are a greedy person that thinks you might make a quick buck from some sort of investment and it doesn't pan our; Whoooops...who saw that coming?

-if you live in tourist area like khao san road
-if you live in a cheap appartment that have poor security and live amongst farang deadbeats. 
-if you drive car or bike
-if you are the drunk with the big mouth
-if you have crazy Thai girlfriend 

For each tick of above choices consider you 20% at danger.

I only tick one myself so i consider i am 80% safe.
10 year+ and no trouble in Bkk.
I agree except point 2

Are farang dead beats now killing each other? Personally that would be a good thing but I just don't see it in the news.

With pot holes in pavements ,low hanging electric wires ,or electric

wires lying on the floor ,connections insulated with plastic bags.

the traffic,balconies,there are quite a few obstacles,but I would 

not say dangerous,compared to other large cities in other parts

of the World.   TAT will be coming out with a survey, that Bangkok is the best city in the World.

regards worgeordie

15 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I think you meant to write: "...you might fancy a lady that catches your meat..." which adds a little more intrigue to your comment in parentheses!

I did actually catch my spelling error and corrected it but I like your take on the elevated intrigue. We'd probably be good beer drinking buddies.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, garzhe said:

Im resident in Thailand and spend much time in Bangkok. I feel much safer walking around the back streets of Bangkok late at night than I do in any European or US capital city. Behave yourself and your unlikely to have a problem

Agreed.

I have been living in Bangkok for 25 years and the statement at the start of this thread is complete sensationalist rubbish!

Edited by cyborgx
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:
30 minutes ago, TimTang said:
WOW!!!...OK...I got everything up until you don't agree with the warm fuzzy Thailand scenario. Then you went into some sort of violence that I'm not familiar with.

I can tell by your post that you are intelligent and you have something to say. Sad to say my intelligence must be limited because I'm having difficulty understanding. If you could clarify maybe you can knock my IQ up a couple of points.

Forcibly sold to. You get that right? What else you struggling with?

I don't get it and I'm not struggling with anything. Is there some sort of secret code I'm not aware of?

It simply doesn't make sense. I claim naivety. I prefer to never pretend to know something I do not. How can one learn ANYTHING otherwise? 

6 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

I agree except point 2

Are farang dead beats now killing each other? Personally that would be a good thing but I just don't see it in the news.

Not so much killing each other, but they do tend to attact trouble like flies to sh×t.

At some stage they will want to borrow money

Some can be involved in illegal stuff and you never know if you gonna get "guilty by association" or caught up in something from mistaken identity

Also living in those cheap places you get some err unhinged people (thai and farang) who can get jealous about a guy who they think have a bit of cash and a decent life.

Once i live in a cheap Thai place and one nutter on the same floor had some beef against me, get very nasty for no reason af all

That just my theory but i couldnt think of anything worse!

• Like 1

Brazilian or Colombian cities are far worse when it comes to safety and crime than any Thai city , including Bangkok.

This survey is nonsense.

Edited by balo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, alwaysrainsinUK said:

This study is a load of carp.

You wanna see London at the min its off the scales with stabbings ,acid attacks,rapes . Theres not a chance in hell id walk down a London st at night .

Wow , seems I must just be very lucky then !

26 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Thats funny....Ive always found thailand to be pretty safe...even staggering around dead drunk at 5 am.

Then again, Im a 2 week millionaire and don;t stay long enough to build a strong base of enemies.

If you're a millionaire it's highly unlikely you'll develop enemies. You're more likely to find new friends. Hey!!! I like you already! Let's rent a yacht, grab a dozen go-go girls, stock up the bar and pretend to go fishing. I know a place that has Styrofoam Marlins  to legitimise the trip.

49 minutes ago, Songlaw said:

Unless the "violent outbursts" were "Thai on Thai," odds are that it was (possibly unwittingly) incited by a farang. I have never witnessed anyone (save the occasional random bag-snatch, etc.) who was doing the right thing given an ounce of sh*t, for any reason anywhere in this country. Is it a paradise full of warm fuzzies? Of course not, but if you are even remotely self-aware, the biggest fear you will likely ever face is that of being ignored. For those who might argue, being "forcefully and serially sold to" is not generally considered a PTSD-inducing level of violence, so save your breath.

34 minutes ago, TimTang said:

WOW!!!...OK...I got everything up until you don't agree with the warm fuzzy Thailand scenario. Then you went into some sort of violence that I'm not familiar with.

I can tell by your post that you are intelligent and you have something to say. Sad to say my intelligence must be limited because I'm having difficulty understanding. If you could clarify maybe you can knock my IQ up a couple of points.

Sorry, Mate. It was meant "tongue-in-cheek." I assume you are referring to being "forcefully and serially sold to?" I was referring to the occasionally insistent "booth-hawkers" that line the streets and alleyways of the city, which is about the extent of the "inner-city violence" that most would experience here, at least in the "Thai parts" of Bangkok. Not sure about the ritzier areas. Regardless, I often fall short on my humor, and, equally maddening, its conveyance. In any event, I realize it is a stretch, but the local stall-keepers could be perceived as being a bit aggressive (forceful) at times, and intrepid (implied by, serially) which I used as a vehicle to poke fun at most who would consider this place dangerous; not to discount, of course, the actual dangers and often innocent victims scattered about, insufficient, however, to warrant the abysmal ranking assigned by the source material.

Thanks for the compliment, even if it be back-handed, which I do not believe is the case. I think, by and large though, the consensus on this site (up until you came along) has been that I'm either a blitherer, an idiot, or both. Not quite sure which side of that argument I would personally come down on. Cheers.

I do not Believe these Figures, the Guy that pointed out that Phnom Phen, Jakarta and Manila are far worse, is almost certainly quite correct I think.

Still I only lived in BKK, quite trouble free, (Well except Trouble that I caused myself back then, when I was young and stupid, … and that caused by other Foreigners of course !!! …  All got out of a LOT easier than I think that I would have been able to get out of them, in just about any other Places !!! ) on and off from 1983 to Oh 1988 ?

And I guess that it might have changed a bit since then ? ... But Still, I do still go "Down to Town" a Bit, ... and well it seems OK or even better I think, … as long as you keep your wits about yourself, are Polite, and not stupid ! ??? 

Like I wonder if they take in to account how many people actually live in that Metropolis ???? .... Like 17 ? Million people, is it ? Counting the Up Country and other Itinerates workers … and the long and short term tourists !!! …  All in a space of less size then Melbourne, or most other Big Cities around the world !!! ??? … I think that the Thais actually do very well in Bangkok, Considering ???

… There always is People trying to run places down for their own self Interests you know … do you remember when the, God Bless them all, Package Tour English, WERE tea Leafing stuff from the Airport bars, and duty free shops (As Their usual Pilfered Souvenirs for the Games room ??? Right ???) …

And then Countless Posts started appearing on line saying “Do not do your Duty free shopping in Bangkok, as you will be Framed for shop Lifting” … like people from Other Duty Free shops, … In other Countries I think …. And well the facts as the CCTV and the Locals all knew … the English package tourists WERE GUILTY, they stole Souvenirs, from the bars, and shops at the Airport, ….  But the On Line … Propaganda ?    For they own personal gain I would say, tried to blame the poor Thai shop assistants, and owners, for objecting to their profit being stolen, by Middle Class English Potato sacks !!! ...  And had just caught them, for their actual Crimes !!! …

Then when the Thais investigated it, it became known that … and there was a bit of an Uproar, for their Cops taking Bribes ? ... Their Point of View, on what was wrong with the Potato sacks Thefts !!! ??? 

Yes Given the Thai Cops over charging them to bribe their way out of it, not being all that great advertisements for the Kingdom !!! …  BUT the Potato Sacks were GUILTY !!!    They Stole the stuff, and it was well caught on CCTV. ...   But the Foreign Media Reports ? … Well the Trash on the internet, blamed the Thais.

...  So well I reckon, … That Bangkok is probably quite safe !!! … Just remember to Look like you are having a good time, ...Wy, ... and do not sit down near Rubbish Bins Right ??? Har Har …  but well, they smell any way so who would want to sit there any way ???

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

Because the police sit inside their little road junction boxes, scratching their nuts and waiting for farangs to fleece....rather than actually policing the streets!

Oh, Boo Hoo, ... isn't that a far better way of Policing, actually knowing what is going wrong before it does ??? ... Rather than going out and getting in every ones faces, for nothing ???... The Thais are actually pretty good at policing themselves, if you have not noticed ...  ... I am Off, and out of this one.

Edited by Mark mark
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tingtongtourist said:

-if you live in tourist area like khao san road

-if you live in a cheap appartment that have poor security and live amongst farang deadbeats. 

-if you drive car or bike

-if you are the drunk with the big mouth

-if you have crazy Thai girlfriend 

For each tick of above choices consider you 20% at danger.

I only tick one myself so i consider i am 80% safe.

10 year+ and no trouble in Bkk.

This should be handed out at the airport. Seriously. However, I'd go 10% per tick. There is a lot of built-in forgiveness here. Though the Thai girlfriend (crazy or otherwise) should count as an exponent for the overall score, rather than merely a tick.

11 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Oh, Boo Hoo, ... isn't that a far better way of Policing, actually knowing what is going wrong before it does ??? ... Rather than going out and getting in every ones faces, for nothing ???... The Thais are actually pretty good at policing themselves, if you have not noticed ...  ... I am Off, and out of this one.

Really? I would rather see police on the beat, walking the streets, than setting up check points to fill their pockets from motorists!

9 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

BUT the Potato Sacks were GUILTY !!!    They Stole the stuff, and it was well caught on CCTV. ... 

'English Potato Sacks'. I nearly dropped my fag laughing. And so true, there is an EPS at the bottom of all the troubles in the world.  That was the motherload of all quotes.

4 hours ago, jgarbo said:

Exactly. My last trip to "First World" Oz, arrived with obvious bronchial infection. Doctor said, You've caught asthma. I explained you can't "catch" asthma, it's a psychosomatic syndrome. Gave me Ventolin. Idiot. Next day my pharmacist said, Bronchial infection. Ampicillin & Vibromycin, fixed in three days. When a chemist is smarter than a doctor, it's time to leave. 

Thai health care is excellent & cheap, even for farang. Not double pricing, folks.

These dumb "surveys" come out when? The start of the Northern hemisphere vacation time. Avoid Thailand ( it doesn't buy US or UK weapons). If Prayut had bought American tanks instead of Chinese, the Economist would hail Thailand as far safer than the Philippines or China. So obvious it stinks. 

I used to work for these a$$holes.   

Don't start me on the morons running the place there.

The internet is not big enough.:cheesy:

7 hours ago, Moti24 said:

The capital of Australia is Canberra.  However, I have a relation that has lived in Sydney, Perth, on the Gold Coast and currently living in Adelaide.  All large cities throughout the world are very similar; if you go looking for trouble, you'll find it.  I've lived in Bangkok for a few years and had no problems at all.  And yet, I have stayed the odd week in the sticks, and have witnessed WW3 almost break-out for hardly no reason whatsoever.

In general, Thailand isn't a country that I would refer to as a safe place to live.  But, where is these days.

Correction.  Sydney IS a capital city.

2 hours ago, TimTang said:

There may be some SCAMS happening in Bangkok but you really have to be stupid to fall for them. I

've never been taken  in by any scam and I lived there for 18 years. I don't care what country you go to there are going to be scam artists. Most scams focus on GREED. If you are a greedy person that thinks you might make a quick buck from some sort of investment and it doesn't pan our; Whoooops...who saw that coming?

Wasn't there a recent thread on IQ and how westerners were so superior....apparently not....I have had no problems whatsoever in BKK or the greater Thailand....agree with your comment about greed...it happens...everywhere.....unfortunately you don't get something for nothing usually....as the Bitcoin boys are about to find out.

1 hour ago, dogfish180 said:

Really? I would rather see police on the beat, walking the streets, than setting up check points to fill their pockets from motorists!

Briefly, and politely, after 34 Years in the Kingdom, off and on, .... "Filling their Pockets" ??? ...  Well ? ...  From Motorists that break the Law ??? .... Last time I was stopped the Thai Policeman was angry that I was talking to him in Thai, rather than English !!! ... As he just wanted to practice it !!!  and I only realised this as I drove away, ... having not filled his Pocket !!! ...  (Or Taught him too much English either) ... Yes I must admit that I WAS Nervous though.

And well the time that the Amphetamine Addicts, including my Grand Son unfortunately, and other Family, ... stole my Pickup !!! ... Well their Mothers got it back, and still in good condition also, only with a Flat Battery !!! Like looks like they had a lot of "Personal Devices" running off of it for a while" ...

The Mothers just sent them a message that we had reported it to the cops, and they had Told us that either then car came back !!! ... Or they would not  be !!! …  And well, we got a message back, on where to find it. …  Intact but need for the extended Family, to Push start it, as the battery was flat. ...

But well, the Joke !!! …  I had 2 Bottles of Leo to celebrate getting it back, in tact, …. But went through a Police Checkpoint on the way home , .!!!  ...  While the Viechel was still Reported Stolen !!! ... Just a Smile and a salute, to my favourite Cops in town, ... and I was waved through !!! ….  Like looks like I do not look like the Car Thief Type ? Right ???  ....  And what is a couple of Bottles of Leo Between Friends ???

No, BKK and Bangphan / Ayuttahya is not Dangerous for me at least. ...

Yes the Thais where I live do not like the Police Much, … so well they are actually pretty happy, that they stay inside their A/C boxed most of the time I think …

• Haha 1

Like a lot these studies that appear in the Economist and other publication I find these results absolutely absurd. The biggest danger in Bangkok is getting hit by a car  while crossing the street. It has to rank close to the top in that category, but otherwise there are very few parts of the city I would feel at risk in any time of the day or night.

7 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Briefly, and politely, after 34 Years in the Kingdom, off and on, .... "Filling their Pockets" ??? ...  Well ? ...  From Motorists that break the Law ??? .... Last time I was stopped the Thai Policeman was angry that I was talking to him in Thai, rather than English !!! ... As he just wanted to practice it !!!  and I only realised this as I drove away, ... having not filled his Pocket !!! ...  (Or Taught him too much English either) ... Yes I must admit that I WAS Nervous though.

And well the time that the Amphetamine Addicts, including my Grand Son unfortunately, and other Family, ... stole my Pickup !!! ... Well their Mothers got it back, and still in good condition also, only with a Flat Battery !!! Like looks like they had a lot of "Personal Devices" running off of it for a while" ...

The Mothers just sent them a message that we had reported it to the cops, and they had Told us that either then car came back !!! ... Or they would not  be !!! …  And well, we got a message back, on where to find it. …  Intact but need for the extended Family, to Push start it, as the battery was flat. ...

But well, the Joke !!! …  I had 2 Bottles of Leo to celebrate getting it back, in tact, …. But went through a Police Checkpoint on the way home , .!!!  ...  While the Viechel was still Reported Stolen !!! ... Just a Smile and a salute, to my favourite Cops in town, ... and I was waved through !!! ….  Like looks like I do not look like the Car Thief Type ? Right ???  ....  And what is a couple of Bottles of Leo Between Friends ???

Yes the Thais where I live do not like the Police Much, … so well they are actually pretty happy, that they stay inside their A/C boxed most of the time I think …

tl;dr

6 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

So much for you "I am Off, and out of this one." Old man! Yesterday I got stopped by the fat lazy cop at the check point in BKK for not having a licence plate on my NEW motorcycle....that the dealer told me is ok until they get it. While the police now like to change and make up their own laws, and issue a 1,000 baht fine(which I didn't pay, because I work with the government, so went to the police station and they were sorry and said that I should have told them at the start!). While at the same time the streets of BKK are a wash with Nigerians aggressively peddling drugs and harassing tourists......but then you wouldn't see that from Ayuttahya would you?