Public urged to not drink during Royal Cremation period

rooster59

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

It's a big deal for Thais, no-one else cares.

As has already been said, it's not even a big deal for a lot of Thais even though most will respect the day I'm sure. 

Obviously the ones selling the merchandise are over the moon and would like it to drag on another year. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOL> here we go again... Yes it is! It will be broadcast around the world, and in English too. If you are traveling to Thailand as a tourist, there's no excuse not to know about this. Anyone who is interested enough in Thailand to invest in a holiday there should know what's going on, especially an event of such major significance.
Most tourists could care less. They want their holiday without restrictions.

4 hours ago, tropo said:

Who are you? ... to speak for everyone else?

I think, the reply: "It's a big deal for Thais, no-one else cares." followed another post 'that it was 'a big event in Asia' . Well, having visited China, Hong Kong, and Cambodia since the King of Thailand died, I can say that definitely no-one cares about it there.

Wonder what happened to the hundreds of posters over the years telling us that thailand would implode after the death of the king?

One year and still no civil war.
LOL TV the hub of misinformation

As someone who has lived in Thailand for 13 years, the speculation about the event had been constant throughout. As you say, when it finally happened the lack of disruption to daily life was remarkably minimal, proving most people, myself included, very wrong. One would like to think Thailand has taken a huge step towards becoming more modern and putting much of the nonsense of the past behind it. We shall see.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Wonder what happened to the hundreds of posters over the years telling us that thailand would implode after the death of the king?

Hard to gauge public opinion, when a member of the public voicing a negative opinion can disappear forever, or go to military jail for 30 years. But military rule was clearly imposed to cover and control this event.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

11 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Hard to gauge public opinion, when a member of the public voicing a negative opinion can disappear forever, or go to military jail for 30 years. But military rule was clearly imposed to cover and control this event.

100% And the years prior to and following, it's exactly what we are seeing.

3 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

It's called: calm before the storm. Just sayin'. Why do you think the military is in power for?

11 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Some Thais, especially government employees, MUST be seen to mourn. Eyes and ears are everywhere in Thailand; reporting back. The people in the villages in Isaan (a lot of people) are more concerned with their rice harvest,

Incontrovertible evidence (if any was needed), that you have broken the seal on your Lao-purchased malt scotch already.

Drinking alone again are we?

11 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

Great post. The problem is Thai people react in the same way as any person who drinks. Therefore their reaction is to buy in bulk. It is true that 7/11s are getting depleted at the moment. Not foreigners, but Thai people are buying as there is no tomorrow. I've driven today from half past six in Pathum Thani for 10 km and I swear I noticed more than 5 drivers being under influence this early. What I want to say is that people must be educated in the first place, and by telling people that they do not respect Royalty by having a drink is wrong in my opinion!

And the simple fact that the delayed implementation of the newly promulgated alcohol excise taxes will end after the mourning period and will be fully applied before the end of the month has been totally missed by oh so many of the oh so savvy casual TV cultural experts.

10 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

I take it you do not read to much foreign press Barry..... Yes its big overseas, someone from all royal families around the world will attend.

Those government's who's subjects are lucky enough not to have to pay for royals families. Will send a high ranking member of state.

President Donald Trump will send a delegation to attend the Royal Cremation Ceremony of His Majesty the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej on October 26, the White House said on Saturday.

James Mattis 

Andrew. Duke of York from the UK. Wow

10 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Many Thais buying large quantities of booze in Big C today. Remember, this is a country where the government would like to control how you think, and indeed much of the population is hopelessly brainwashed. Thankfully there are also many who will decide for themselves what constitutes right and proper behaviour, and know that having a drink in no way diminishes the respect they hold for the recently departed.

You really do think too much (for other people).

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Incontrovertible evidence (if any was needed), that you have broken the seal on your Lao-purchased malt scotch already.

Drinking alone again are we?

I did have a glass or two last night NL thanks. And you are welcome to join me!

Most Thais are too busy getting on with life to take notice of what the Gov' is saying about alcohol.