White House pays tribute to late King, sends delegation

rooster59

24 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You really think the USA will send the Defense Secretary to Queen Elizabeth's funeral? I would be very surprised. So yes, I do think she would be treated differently.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So, we may agree. You think the President should be attending both of these?

So, we may agree. You think the President should be attending both of these?

Personally, I don't care! I do see an incongruity in republicans being overly respectful to unelected monarchs, but naturally there are political considerations. The historical links and "special relationship" between the USA and the UK make me think a higher ranking representative would most likely attend Queen Elizabeth's funeral.

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Personally, I don't care! I do see an incongruity in republicans being overly respectful to unelected monarchs, but naturally there are political considerations. The historical links and "special relationship" between the USA and the UK make me think a higher ranking representative would most likely attend Queen Elizabeth's funeral.

I think you will find we have some agreement. I am retired in Thailand and so have that interest. I am a student of history and so I am aware of the King's birth in Boston. Further, we will soon celebrate 200 years of relations. Politically? I suspect the Sec. of Defense, rather than the Sec. of State says something.

9 hours ago, davehowden said:

Along with at least another 31 dignitaries from foreign countries.

Why is only the USA so newsworthy.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30329791

In Trump voice...

Because da USA is big...really, really BIG..it's "UGE" and da best country in da world. Tree-MEND-ous place...really tremendous...and Humongous! Demands respect and recognition! Can't say enough good things about it...

Related image

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

A link to Seni Pramoj refusing to deliver a Declaration of War to the US from Thailand's dictator during WWII?

I thought that was common knowledge.

You are right that this myth is widely believed.But it is untrue.The relevant document is retained in the US Government archives.It was delivered to the US Consulate in Berne - and thence to Washington- by the Swiss acting as intermediary.There are reports that Seni told the Americans he would not deliver it but this was irrelevant as the document had already been handed over.The fiction of Seni locking it away in a desk suited the Americans and the Free Thai so the myth has passed into history.

Edited by jayboy

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

In Trump voice...

Because da USA is big...really, really BIG..it's "UGE" and da best country in da world. Tree-MEND-ous place...really tremendous...and Humongous! Demands respect and recognition! Can't say enough good things about it...

Related image

In Trump voice...

"Alot of people tell me this, I hear it from everyone. People come up to me & tell me"...

23 hours ago, davehowden said:

Along with at least another 31 dignitaries from foreign countries.

Why is only the USA so newsworthy.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30329791

Because the other 31 had been previously announced and are known to everyone. Um, well, almost everyone.

Others will be identified for the next few days and they, too, will have their 1.5 inches of fame just like the first 32.