Speed detectors not bought yet: Chayapol

rooster59

28 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I read that the cabinet had approved the purchase to. I wonder if anyone in the cabinet raised a question on the pricing.

Why should they? Each has a finger in the big corruption pie. Always has been and really no moral to blame others. 

It is all very true, pricewise, that is.

There are cheaper ones available.

However, what about the certification of the laser guns?

Are they indeed registering the real speed within agreed margins?

Don't leave any room for legal and judicial doubt.

Those ones are rather more pricey, although 700,000 each is quite over the top.

I thought prices around €3500 each in Europe.

Edited by hansnl

Who comes up with these hair-brained ideas? Overpriced hand held devices are labor intensive and the worst possible investment. I'm sure the police have other more productive things they could be doing. That's why they invented the automated speed camera! 

The laser speed detectors were only needed to cash in on the people who urgently wanted to use the 15 million Baht toilets at Rajabhakti Park. 
15 Billion mate that is.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

What is possibly being overlooked in this is the high cost of ensuring transparency in the purchasing process. David Copperfield types don't come cheap. Pretty sure this 'service' would account for the 'factoring number' of 'cost' vs 'value'.

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

Plus, several times before the RTP have bought 'speed guns / radar guns but they were rarely seen.

What does that mean:

- Too difficult to use?

- Too difficult to set up?

- Too difficult to gain extra income?

- too much coordinating?

- Too much past usageadministraton?

- etc etc.

So why now the desire to buy such bulk quantities of speed guns?

And, has there been sufficient research into even better / newer technologies to catch speedsters, which possibly makes speed gun technology obsolete?

They want to buy 849 speed detector guns and with 77 provinces that is only 11 per province.

I suspect this new equipment will never be maintained and will quickly become unreliable, not that the Police will be concerned about it.

In my country this type of equipment is regularly re calibrated and a certificate of service can be produced to support any disputes in Court.

21 hours ago, Thechook said:

I remember pulling out of servo stop in Tak about 5 years ago and got pulled over 100 metres down the road by the BIB, he had the old radar gun and said I was doing 160 kph.  Geez our little Toyota Vios had great pick up.  Zero to 160 over 100 metres.

Cop prob could not read

The Thai drivers in this country have no worries  They will never buy these overpriced guns. Remember the fuss when the Mini Van drivers were in the spotlight and they had to do this that Inspections etc  All forgotten about They are back to there old ways  One passed me the other day doing at least 140 klms per hour It was like i was standing still when he passed me That was in  a built up area oh he did flash his lights at me to show me he was speeding Nice driver

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

They want to buy 849 speed detector guns and with 77 provinces that is only 11 per province.

So who gets the 2 spare ones, costing a cool 1,340,000 bahhhht? Come to think of it, where are all these babies going to be delivered? I'll bet Prawit's already 'made arrangements' for that . . .  his double garage will make the perfect dishing-out point.

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Oh, how tragic? The overpriced purchase that was going to make a lot of people unnaturally rich has been uncovered, so it is denial time and back to the drawing board. It will be interesting to see, given the scrutiny now on this, what the actual final purchase price will be. I somehow suspect the cost per unit is going to be rather dramatically reduced and certain peoples luxury item shopping list quite severely cut back.

And it is likely that the 'new' price to be paid will not now be made public! 

"Authorities" will always hate public scrutiny, especially if there is some (unofficial?) corruption involved.

21 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

I suspect this new equipment will never be maintained and will quickly become unreliable, not that the Police will be concerned about it.

In my country this type of equipment is regularly re calibrated and a certificate of service can be produced to support any disputes in Court.

Please remember that this kingdom is not a first world country despite the hoped for Thai 4.0 tag.

And stop with the 'stupid' farang thinking - not allowed here! :cheesy:

41 minutes ago, Ossy said:

So who gets the 2 spare ones, costing a cool 1,340,000 bahhhht? Come to think of it, where are all these babies going to be delivered? I'll bet Prawit's already 'made arrangements' for that . . .  his double garage will make the perfect dishing-out point.

Whilst there are 77 provinces including BKK I think that they will be issued with more going to the larger traffic forces and less to the smaller areas. At least that is how I would do it. I would also keep a reserve of perhaps 100 at a place and issue them out when they guns fail and need repairs.

There was a report in the BKK Post this morning discussing the purchase and the author googled a look at typical prices of premium-grade laser speed guns such as the TruCAM, model LTI 20/20, that the manufacturer claimed to be most sophisticated available in the market. It was priced at US$5,495 or about 181,000 baht which is still four times cheaper.

Should the Kingdom ever decide to saunter into the 21st century and invest in the intergrated A N P R surveillance system then all of this hiding about the place malarkey pointing speed trap guns at motorists would begin to become a thing of the past therebye freeing up Police officers to do more worthwhile things .. 

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Whilst there are 77 provinces including BKK I think that they will be issued with more going to the larger traffic forces and less to the smaller areas. At least that is how I would do it. I would also keep a reserve of perhaps 100 at a place and issue them out when they guns fail and need repairs.

There was a report in the BKK Post this morning discussing the purchase and the author googled a look at typical prices of premium-grade laser speed guns such as the TruCAM, model LTI 20/20, that the manufacturer claimed to be most sophisticated available in the market. It was priced at US$5,495 or about 181,000 baht which is still four times cheaper.

But u have to remember This is Thailand and many benefits are paid buying equipment That is prob the right price but dont forget 400,000 is thank u money for buying

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

A N P R .. Ruthless and unremitting .. 

_20171023_074534.JPG

_20171023_074311.JPG

ANPR cameras in the UK are usually painted blue and are used for vehicle tracking, not for speeding. Fixed speeding cameras have to be painted yellow and, in theory, be highly visible....

17 hours ago, mrfill said:

ANPR cameras in the UK are usually painted blue and are used for vehicle tracking, not for speeding. Fixed speeding cameras have to be painted yellow and, in theory, be highly visible....

Yes, but that's in the UK and, here, the Junta can paint their cameras any damn colour they want - probably sky blue pink with yellow dots on, judging from P1's costume colours - and I don't think the 'fair warning' ethos of the yellow camera would come into the debate, across his table.

But, whilst on the subject of potentially better road-safety spending, wouldn't the average speed checking cameras be the perfect answer . . . they work wonders in UK, whilst ticking both the fair warning and speed-reducing boxes. How expensive, I wonder? Oh-oh, I guess that's started another Google gallop. First with a reliable answer gets an extra beer tonight, OK . . . and it's still only Tuesday in this alcohol obscured week.

A post and a reply have been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.