Do all Smart TV's have Wi Fi connectivity?

giddyup

Yes, the terms 4K and UHD basically mean the same thing. UHD is just an industry name for the 4K technology.

When used in a home context, 4K/UHD means the TV's screen has a minimum resolution of 3,840 pixels wide and 2,160 pixels high, making it the equivalent to two 1080p screens in height and two in length. This resolution was originally known as "Quad HD," and it's used by basically every 4K TV.

Although, when it comes to TV shopping, there are a lot of folks who would argue that there's another and different TV technology term that's even more important and something you'd want to have in any new TV purchase, and that's HDR -- High Dynamic Range. These days, there are 4K TVs without HDR, and there are 4K TVs with HDR, and arguably, HDR is a more visible improvement than 4K in terms of viewing experience.

Why HDR will make your 4K TV worth it

This doesn’t mean there’s no reason to be excited about buying a 4K TV, though. There absolutely is, thanks to the feature that’s taken 4K’s place atop the TV buzzword throne: high dynamic range.

HDR, as it’s called, significantly boosts a display’s contrast ratio — i.e., the difference between its brightest and darkest colors — and allows for much finer detail in the shades in between. It comes alongside another feature, wide color gamut (WCG), which lets a TV produce more colors than most current sets are capable of.

dolby vision hdr An example of how Dolby advertises its Dolby Vision HDR tech. The left side has HDR enabled. Dolby

The result is a picture that is more vivid, and more importantly, noticeably more lifelike. Colors are less muted, and objects appear to have more depth. It’s not a gimmick so much as a straight improvement.

http://www.businessinsider.com/4k-tv-hdr-whats-the-difference-2016-8

Although to be fair and clear, two additional things to note on HDR:

1. AFAIK, HDR technology in a TV doesn't do much or anything to improve the look of existing/older video content. Rather, to take advantage of HDR in a TV, the video has to be specifically filmed/formatted/encoded (whatever the correct term is) to take advantage of HDR.

2. As a result, right now, there isn't a lot of HDR video content out there, although services like Netflix, Amazon and others are moving in that direction. So it's definitely a future looking feature to have in a TV. And how fast and broad the implementation of HDR will become in video content in the West remains to be seen, with Thailand presumably trailing even farther behind that.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Here's two articles that explain how to find HDR content on both Amazon and Netflix, including lists of the series on both services that are available in HDR -- if you have an HDR TV, and in the case of Netflix, if you also have their higher price monthly plan that includes access to HDR. (I don't know the status of HDR in Netflix's Thailand-based plans...)

Back on the subject of TV hardware, just to be clear, hopefully. These days, AFAIK, you're only going to find HDR on TV sets that also are 4K format. But, not all 4K TVs come with HDR, and in fact, last time I was TV shopping here, it seemed there were more TVs on the shelves in Thai stores WITHOUT HDR than those WITH HDR. Though that may have changed some with the arrival of the 2017 TV models.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/where-to-find-hdr-content,review-4304.html

http://www.trustedreviews.com/how-to/how-to-find-netflix-amazon-hdr-streams-2942413

Who has the best 4k upscaler.  I think Sony does but one has to go and look.  Not all content is 4K so all the other content is upscaled to 4k by all the new TV's.  I didn't know non smart tv were available anymore but maybe they are if one does not want a computer in your tv.  Seems primitive to me.

How big is your screen and how far away will you be watching? 

First thing I did when looking for a new TV was go to the hospital and get a new prescription for glasses.  Hospital not eyeglass store.  The prescription was cheap.  Then I sent that to a glasses manufacturer. 

What kind of sound do you want?  I opted for a decent sound bar and run all my other devices to that including the TV.  Where should you put the woofer?  You have to listen to that stuff before you buy. 

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

distance.png

18 minutes ago, amvet said:

I didn't know non smart tv were available anymore but maybe they are if one does not want a computer in your tv.  Seems primitive to me.

I was perusing the websites of a couple of the large TV retailers yesterday in connection with thread, and some have the ability to narrow your search on their site re smart TV vs. non smart TV.

The impression I got from looking at the websites was, there seemed to be at least as many regular TVs being offered for sale as smart TVs, if not more. Gotta remember, the "Smart TVs" often seem to command a price premium within each brand. And this being Thailand, cheap always has its appeal.

I will add, BTW, as least compared to the U.S., TV prices here in Thailand for the same brand and same size or type of TV technology seem to be vastly overpriced. 4K TVs from good brands are getting to be relatively cheap in the U.S. -- but not so here.

In the U.S., you can buy TCL brand 4K-HDR TVs with the Roku OS for just a few hundred dollars. Here, no sign of Roku OS enabled TVs to be found...

59f418e6ab481_2017-10-2812_42.jpg.277659be244962eb004ac72f09954506.jpg

I have noticed that all of the new TV's I've looked at have all the inputs at the rear. As I use a flash drive to transfer all my downloaded programs onto, it seems like it would be quite awkward to be using the USB input, especially if the TV is against a wall. Could I overcome this by using a short USB extension lead?
Have you considered using a NAS? I download all my programmes and movies to my NAS then stream them wirelessly to my TV. No need to plug/unplug anything.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

On 10/25/2017 at 7:14 PM, shady86 said:

Yes they should come with both wireless and wired connection. Lower end models come only with single band wifi 2.4Ghz.

That is not entirely true, my Samsung has no wifi, I would need to buy a Samsung wifi dongle.

I would agree with many that the 'smart' feature is a waste of time. I found it a pain in the neck and turned to an android box. I would also agree with some that a computer is a better bet than the box depending on what you want. I have found that some of the TV programs run a lot better on my laptop than they do on an android app. Applies to both box and phone.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

That is not entirely true, my Samsung has no wifi, I would need to buy a Samsung wifi dongle.

I would agree with many that the 'smart' feature is a waste of time. I found it a pain in the neck and turned to an android box. I would also agree with some that a computer is a better bet than the box depending on what you want. I have found that some of the TV programs run a lot better on my laptop than they do on an android app. Applies to both box and phone.

Depends on what you want.  Smart TV's have a computer inside them that render and improve the image.  To see the difference go to a store and look at the tv's showing the same input.

scaled.jpg

Sony-Bravia-4K-HDR-TV-3.jpg

8 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Not sure of the purpose of your reply and the link to Lazada, unless you consider the sellers on Lazada are more knowledgable than some AV experts.

You posted that the 43" was 4K and the 49" was UHD.

I tried to explain that the 49" UHD is also ":4K" , because it is just a terminology used as a gimmick and real 4K is only available in cinemas and maybe very high end tv's.

So there will be no difference in picture quality between the 49" and the 43".

The purpose was only to show the description of the supposed 4K TV as I'm not familiar with that technology, wasn't disagreeing in any way. The 49" was only Full HD not UHD.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Not sure of the purpose of your reply and the link to Lazada, unless you consider the sellers on Lazada are more knowledgable than some AV experts.

You posted that the 43" was 4K and the 49" was UHD.

I tried to explain that the 49" UHD is also ":4K" , because it is just a terminology used as a gimmick and real 4K is only available in cinemas and maybe very high end tv's.

So there will be no difference in picture quality between the 49" and the 43".

Go to your screen resolution and click the drop down box if what is listed there is 3840x2160, then you have 4K ,  mine is 3440 x 1440 what is yours?

See if your TV or monitor will run this.  At what resolution? There is a ton of 4k content on Netflix that my TV runs just fine.

Edited by amvet

1 hour ago, amvet said:

Depends on what you want.  Smart TV's have a computer inside them that render and improve the image.  To see the difference go to a store and look at the tv's showing the same input.

Not sure what you mean by that...

For starters, a UHD TV is not synonymous with a "Smart TV."  Smart TV as a term usually is referring to a TV that has built-in wifi and/or ethernet and some kind of a system for using apps to download and stream content off the internet. There are plenty of UHD TVs out there that have no Internet/apps capability. UHD simply is referring to the increased display resolution of the TV screen, being 3840 pixels × 2160 lines.

Now, UHD TVs, whether smart or not, have technology inside that's designed to upscale lower resolution video content, since not everything that's going to be played on the TV is going to be UHD, especially at present. And, some UHD TVs, again, whether smart or not, have another technology called HDR that can display increased color range of HDR encoded video, making it more vibrant than non-HDR video.

What you see in the TV store is a bad example for anything, Smart TV or non-Smart TV, since the TV shops typically aren't playing real TV on those sets, like regular Thai television or even DVD or Blue-Ray recorded movies, but instead, specially processed video from a central server that's designed to look as good as possible and help them sell more TVs.

Unless you're sitting very close to the physical TV, a UHD display isn't going to look any crisper or brighter or more vibrant than a non-UHD (let's say full HD) display -- all other TV elements being equal.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not sure what you mean by that...

For starters, a UHD TV is not synonymous with a "Smart TV."  Smart TV as a term usually is referring to a TV that has built-in wifi and/or ethernet and some kind of a system for using apps to download and stream content off the internet. There are plenty of UHD TVs out there that have no Internet/apps capability. UHD simply is referring to the increased display resolution of the TV screen, being 3840 pixels × 2160 lines.

Now, UHD TVs, whether smart or not, have technology inside that's designed to upscale lower resolution video content, since not everything that's going to be played on the TV is going to be UHD, especially at present. And, some UHD TVs, again, whether smart or not, have another technology called HDR that can display increased color range of HDR encoded video, making it more vibrant than non-HDR video.

What you see in the TV store is a bad example for anything, Smart TV or non-Smart TV, since the TV shops typically aren't playing real TV on those sets, like regular Thai television or even DVD or Blue-Ray recorded movies, but instead, specially processed video from a central server that's designed to look as good as possible and help them sell more TVs.

Unless you're sitting very close to the physical TV, a UHD display isn't going to look any crisper or brighter or more vibrant than a non-UHD (let's say full HD) display -- all other TV elements being equal.

I took a couple of flash drives with video recorded and played them in the TV store.  Different manufactures have different rendering systems and the TVs have different ways of showing what is rendered.  The only way is to look at and see what you like.  Same with the soundbars.  I hooked them to my phone and played music I was familiar with.  My TV cost a lot of money and the clerks were happy to do anything I wanted which included sound bars and earphones and flash and portable drives. I also took a tape measure and measured everything and went home and made sure it all fit before buying.  Mine is 3d so had to check that out too with a 3d movie and glasses. 

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And what you may be aware of is that some shops deliberately put wrong settings in a tv to promote another brand.

I experienced it with a TCL at a very large dealer in Pattaya, where they tried to push me to a sharp or panasonic.

The TCL QUHD had a really awful picture, with the same source file.

At one point I got to play with the remote of the TCL and went in the picture settings and only pressed " defaults", and it was day and night difference.

Then I may as well get the 49" Full HD model if there will be no noticeable difference in picture quality between that and the 43" 4K model. Both are the same price.

Edited by giddyup

6 minutes ago, amvet said:

I took a couple of flash drives with video recorded and played them in the TV store.  Different manufactures have different rendering systems and the TVs have different ways of showing what is rendered.  The only way is to look at and see what you like.  Same with the soundbars.  I hooked them to my phone and played music I was familiar with.  My TV cost a lot of money and the clerks were happy to do anything I wanted which included sound bars and earphones and flash and portable drives. I also took a tape measure and measured everything and went home and made sure it all fit before buying.  Mine is 3d so had to check that out too with a 3d movie and glasses. 

Yes, I agree about all that, and I did the same last time I bought a TV, brought along a flash drive with different types and resolutions of video files.

But everything you're saying here is unrelated to the difference between a Smart TV vs a Non-Smart TV, which should have the same quality of picture, all other things being equal (brand, size and type of TV screen, upscaling technology, etc.)

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Then I may as well the 49" Full HD model if there will be no noticeable difference in picture quality between that and the 43" 4K model. Both are the same price.

That's an interesting question. If I'm remembering correctly, what I read said you'd need to be within about 5 feet or so of a UHD TV to notice any picture difference vs a Non-UHD TV of the SAME screen size. Beyond 5 feet or so, supposedly, no discernable difference. Again, everything else being equal -- brand, quality of the components, etc etc.

Now, one difference would be, in the future, if you wanted to play UHD video from some source, obviously, the UHD TV would be better for that.

Also, I'm assuming from your post above that neither of the TVs you mention have HDR technology? If they are both non-HDR, I wouldn't care so much one way or the other. But if the UHD set also had HDR, then I would choose that one for the reason of HDR.

Here's a bit on the human eye's ability to distinguish between HD and UHD on a TV (close to what I said above):

Distance from the screen

The fact is that most people's eyes won't be able to tell the difference between a 720p and a 1080p image from more than about 6 or 7 feet. The same goes for 1080p and 4K.

A rough rule of thumb is that if you are further away than 1.5 times the diagonal screen size, then you will struggle to tell the difference between the various HD resolutions.

So unless you plan on sitting five or six feet away from the screen - or you have a very large TV - then your eyes just won't be able to appreciate the extra resolution between different high-definition images on a 720p or 1080p screen - or a 4K Ultra HD screen for that matter.

It is widely understood that the contrast ratio and colour accuracy of the TV are more important to picture quality than the native resolution of the screen - and there are also other factors to take into account such as the distance you will be sitting from the screen, how big the screen is and how good your eyes are!

https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com/tv-resolution.html

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, I agree about all that, and I did the same last time I bought a TV, brought along a flash drive with different types and resolutions of video files.

But everything you're saying here is unrelated to the difference between a Smart TV vs a Non-Smart TV, which should have the same quality of picture, all other things being equal (brand, size and type of TV screen, upscaling technology, etc.)

Not even close to being correct.  The panel types are different Oled or Lcd or etc, back light is different, motion flow is different, processor is different.

Does a smart TV have a better picture?  Built-in Wi-Fi and a processor for decompressing video do not directly affect picture quality but the picture quality on some smart TVs beats that of lower-priced models that lack the smarts because of what has been listed above.  In a couple of years all TV's will be smart anyway so why fight it? 

Your statement about all things being equal is rather odd when comparing TV's that sell for 10,000 baht to ones costing 200,000 baht.  Of course things won't be equal.  The picture will be a lot better for 190,000 baht.  Don't believe me go look.

Now, one difference would be, in the future, if you wanted to play UHD video from some source, obviously, the UHD TV would be better for that.

Also, I'm assuming from your post above that neither of the TVs you mention have HDR technology? If they are both non-HDR, I wouldn't care so much one way or the other. But if the UHD set also had HDR, then I would choose that one for the reason of HDR.

The 43" UHD model says it has Active HDR.

5 hours ago, amvet said:

Your statement about all things being equal is rather odd when comparing TV's that sell for 10,000 baht to ones costing 200,000 baht.  Of course things won't be equal.  The picture will be a lot better for 190,000 baht.  Don't believe me go look.

You're wandering off the reservation.

That's specifically why I said, Smart vs Non Smart TV with ALL other things being equal. Not a 10k vs 200k model. But the same Samsung model, with the same screen size, same screen technology, same other details, except one has internet and apps capability as in Smart TV and the other just a straight non-Smart TV. In that case, the picture quality should be no different. That's what I clearly said.

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

The 43" UHD model says it has Active HDR.

In that case, if it's the same brand and other details the same except for the screen size, I'd definitely take the model with UHD and HDR.

With UHD and HDR, you're future proofing your TV for a long time to come, hopefully. And getting it for the same price as the slightly larger non-UHD/HDR model.

I have a 43 inch set in our large living room, and it works perfectly fine in that space. So, that's my opinion, based on the details you've offered...

If you don't mind, what's the brand you're considering with the two sets?

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In that case, if it's the same brand and other details the same except for the screen size, I'd definitely take the model with UHD and HDR.

With UHD and HDR, you're future proofing your TV for a long time to come, hopefully. And getting it for the same price as the slightly larger non-UHD/HDR model.

I have a 43 inch set in our large living room, and it works perfectly fine in that space. So, that's my opinion, based on the details you've offered...

If you don't mind, what's the brand you're considering with the two sets?

LG

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're wandering off the reservation.

That's specifically why I said, Smart vs Non Smart TV with ALL other things being equal. Not a 10k vs 200k model. But the same Samsung model, with the same screen size, same screen technology, same other details, except one has internet and apps capability as in Smart TV and the other just a straight non-Smart TV. In that case, the picture quality should be no different. That's what I clearly said.

could you name two brand TVs with those attributes to compare.  I don't think there are any. The picture of the TV with the computer in it to enhance the native format will be better.  Computer - smart tv?

Edited by amvet

16 hours ago, amvet said:

scaled.jpg

Sony-Bravia-4K-HDR-TV-3.jpg

I don't know about others but I consider something that works properly more important than picture quality.

25 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I don't know about others but I consider something that works properly more important than picture quality.

My 2 year old Sony updated yesterday.  It took me a while to figure out what had changed.  It was a big update.  At first I thought it had gone from Marshmallow to Nougat but no such luck.  I would rather that Sony did a better job of telling me what has changed instead of me having to mess around myself to find it, however having said that all of the problems I have had were due to operator error.  I didn't know enough about the Android TV OS as it was different than my Android OS on my phones and computers.  But I learned.  I'm an old guy and have to work a bit to become tech savvy.  Correction I found out what the update did.

• Improves TV response time when using the remote control
  • Resolves an issue where TV cannot connect to the Wi-Fi access point from standby mode
  • Resolves an issue where "No operation shutdown" dialog box cannot be closed when using the VOL+/- buttons
  • Resolves YouTube 4K playback issue (2,560 x 1,440 resolution or higher)
  • Resolves an issue where the HDD is not detected for recording when the TV is in standby mode (Only for AU & NZ)
  • Removal of Twitter functions (Social Viewing)

I'm not British so I don't care if things work properly I'm only interested in them working correctly.  The family went bowling on the big screen last night and everything worked correctly and we had a beautiful picture and an activity that the whole family can enjoy.  The TV works with my PS4 controllers and surround sound. 

Maybe you should watch this.

Edited by amvet

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

LG

I've been doing a bit of research into Tv's of late.

LG don't seem to have a great reputation apart from their OLED range, and are heavily

discounted in Thailand. They seem to be reasonable value for money though.

TBH, for a TV in the size and price range you've indicated, you probably won't find a great deal of

difference between models and brands. The general consensus seems to be get the bigger screen

if most other things are similar.

If I were you and was looking around for a Tv in that size and price range, I would go for the Sony 49W660E

at around 19 000 Baht.

http://www.lazada.co.th/sony-bravia-smart-hdr-led-49w660e-49-full-hd-15017335.html?spm=a2o4m.category-030500000000.0.0.69914950iFtwln&ff=1&sc=EQgR&rb=911

Going off topic, I, like some other posters took some flash drives to test on some models. Out of Panasonic, LG,

Sony and LG's OLED models, I found the LG LED's to have the least impressive picture. All of the tests were done on

65 inch or above with a price range of 60 000 to a 100 000 Baht. I didn't compare with Samsung as my Samsung 65

inch plasma has given up the ghost after 5 years, so I'm looking at another brand. Some people will have nothing else

other than Samsung, so it's pretty objective.

The Oled's came in first followed by Sony. The Oled's are heavily discounted as well due to newer models being

released and with competition from Sony and Samung's QLED's.

On the viewing tests I conducted, there was only a slight increase in quality between the Sony's and OLED's.

Certainly not a 30 000 Baht difference.

If I had an unlimited budget, would probably got for a top of the range LG OLED but I will probably opt for a Sony

at this stage.

It really is a buyers market out there at the moment.

Here is a great website for TV reviews.

http://www.rtings.com/

22 minutes ago, amvet said:

My 2 year old Sony updated yesterday.  It took me a while to figure out what had changed.  It was a big update.  At first I thought it had gone from Marshmallow to Nougat but no such luck.  I would rather that Sony did a better job of telling me what has changed instead of me having to mess around myself to find it, however having said that all of the problems I have had were due to operator error.  I didn't know enough about the Android TV OS as it was different than my Android OS on my phones and computers.  But I learned.  I'm an old guy and have to work a bit to become tech savvy.  Correction I found out what the update did.

• Improves TV response time when using the remote control
  • Resolves an issue where TV cannot connect to the Wi-Fi access point from standby mode
  • Resolves an issue where "No operation shutdown" dialog box cannot be closed when using the VOL+/- buttons
  • Resolves YouTube 4K playback issue (2,560 x 1,440 resolution or higher)
  • Resolves an issue where the HDD is not detected for recording when the TV is in standby mode (Only for AU & NZ)
  • Removal of Twitter functions (Social Viewing)

I'm not British so I don't care if things work properly I'm only interested in them working correctly.  The family went bowling on the big screen last night and everything worked correctly and we had a beautiful picture and an activity that the whole family can enjoy.  The TV works with my PS4 controllers and surround sound. 

Maybe you should watch this.

I don't know what you are trying to prove. I posted that the 'smart' feature on my TV was virtually useless and preferred a box. I am not looking to buy a TV.

Edited by sandyf

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

If I were you and was looking around for a Tv in that size and price range, I would go for the Sony 49W660E

at around 19 000 Baht.

http://www.lazada.co.th/sony-bravia-smart-hdr-led-49w660e-49-full-hd-15017335.html?spm=a2o4m.category-030500000000.0.0.69914950iFtwln&ff=1&sc=EQgR&rb=911

On that point, for anyone who's bought their TV thru Lazada, what's the experience been like?

I'd be a bit hesitant to buy anything expensive thru them and/or anything that I couldn't easily tell right away whether it's in proper working condition or not -- while the delivery person is still there. And with a large TV, it's going to take some time and effort to get it unboxed, set up, and turned on to check.

There are been a lot of horror stories here in the forum re dealing in general with their customer service, having clearly damaged goods delivered, hassles with trying to get refunds/product returns, etc...

Amazon, they're NOT!

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

at around 19 000 Baht.

BTW, that's kind of interesting about the Sonia Bravia models you've linked to....

Reason I say that is, I had understood that the TV makers were only going to use HDR technology on TVs that were also UHD. So supposedly, not all TVs would be UHD, some would still be HD or less... But only UHD TVs would be able to have HDR... Not for technical reasons, just a marketing/business decision.

Maybe I understood that wrongly... Or maybe the TV makers have changed their approach. Because the Sony model linked above is a Smart TV, presumably Android TV, with just HD resolution but still listed as having HDR... That's really good, because it means HDR enabled sets will be available in the more affordable models, not just top of the line (and price) UHD sets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

On that point, for anyone who's bought their TV thru Lazada, what's the experience been like?

I'd be a bit hesitant to buy anything expensive thru them and/or anything that I couldn't easily tell right away whether it's in proper working condition or not -- while the delivery person is still there. And with a large TV, it's going to take some time and effort to get it unboxed, set up, and turned on to check.

There are been a lot of horror stories here in the forum re dealing in general with their customer service, having clearly damaged goods delivered, hassles with trying to get refunds/product returns, etc...

Amazon, they're NOT!

I haven't bought a TV from them.

Where I am in Chiang Rai, there is not a great deal of electronic shops compared to Bangkok or even Chiang Mai.

I did place an order for a HP AIO for about 32000 Baht though.

They had a 10% off sale so it was about 3000 cheaper online.

Once I placed the delivery, they phoned to make sure the order was accurate and legit.

Once confirmed, they processed the order and it was sent straight from HP in Bangkok.

I've ordered heaps from them, COD if possible.

The only problem I've had was with a Nokia phone which didn't have the correct plug on the charger.

I think it came direct from China TBH.

When I complained, they asked me to take a photo of the charger and send the photo to them.

They then asked that I send back the charger and they would send me another one.

I couldn't be bothered dicking around so I just bought one for 200 Baht at the local shopping centre.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Amazon, they're NOT!

I believe after you register the TV with the manufacturer it becomes the manufacturer responsibility.  I had some problems with an expensive electronic purchase and the manufacturers service people came to my house and fixed the problem as the unit was under warranty.  I have bought an expensive phone from Lazada and no problem it was real and everything checked out and the local Samsung shop took care of a minor problem I had. 

I bought my last TV from Sony and when the people came to install it I knew more about it than they did so I told them what to do and set it up after they left because they didn't have a clue.  I read the manual before I bought it.  Had a similar experience with Dell and they were clueless.  Same with coffee I ordered from Lazada.  I called the manufacturer and he took it back and refunded my money. 

Edited by amvet