Carbon dioxide levels grew at record pace in 2016, U.N. says

snoop1130

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given that the world hasn't warmed significantly, and that it can't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that mankind released CO2 is changing anything temperature wise, all the discussion regarding "climate change" is political, whether referred to as GW or CC.

Meanwhile in the real world, the vast majority of the world's rapidly increasing population doesn't give a rat's bottom for any of it and will carry on driving fossil fuelled cars, flying in fossil fueled planes and not making any differences in the way they live just because some people with a vested interest in man made GW or CC think they should, even though said people do nothing personally to change their lives.

I bet almost every pro man made GW or CC protagonist posting on here will use fossil fuelled vehicles and planes, and electricity generated in fossil fuelled power plants.

You'd have my vote to exclude you from any jury selection because you've given ample reason to doubt that evidence would ever be sufficient to convict a guilty party.
The evidence of greenhouse gases (primarily growth in CO2) as being the culprit. That evidence has been adequately presented multiple times, with perhaps one quibble point you just raised: "Is it man made causes for the change in atmospheric CO2?"

Yes, It's us. Beyond a simple accounting of coal, oil and gas burned each year, the properties of carbon prove the source as human. Carbon  comes in 3 atomic weights - the sources of those isotopes, and the atmospheric proportions of those isotopes is how we know it is human caused CO2 released by burning fossil fuels. The video is brief only 2:41

As for the bet - you'd lose. My life and that of my family - growing most of our produce organically on a quarter acre and restricting our consumption won't affect much - the larger issue is that people are indeed addicted to oil, plastics, and the myriads of chemicals derived from the naphtha cut off cracking columns. I have no vested interest paying me to say this. Greek mythology would include me as part of the curse on Cassandra.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given that the world hasn't warmed significantly, and that it can't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that mankind released CO2 is changing anything temperature wise, all the discussion regarding "climate change" is political, whether referred to as GW or CC.

Meanwhile in the real world, the vast majority of the world's rapidly increasing population doesn't give a rat's bottom for any of it and will carry on driving fossil fuelled cars, flying in fossil fueled planes and not making any differences in the way they live just because some people with a vested interest in man made GW or CC think they should, even though said people do nothing personally to change their lives.

I bet almost every pro man made GW or CC protagonist posting on here will use fossil fuelled vehicles and planes, and electricity generated in fossil fuelled power plants.

If you read my post No. 7 on page 1 of this thread, I have basically said most of what you say about 'real world'. Industry supplies us with all the the things we want so if the public (and that includes me, you the scientists, politicians...) stop buying, that is sacrifice so demand goes down, then maybe, just maybe it would have a positive impact (negative impact on jobs etc too). But that just isn't going to happen, in fact more likely the opposite will. Take for example the next computer revolution PC's (probably within the next decade or so). These computers may not be completely be modular with what most PC's are now so we'll be wanting, or needing, to change. So here we'll have another massive dump heap while the computer industry more of the raw materials...and so on. At the other end of the scale is Space X. Just look at the progress they are making towards 'a holiday in space', the technology in moving forward all the time. It's not likely to be for a while but when it does arrive people will want that too.

The problem is we've dug ourselves into a 'environmental hole' that is going to be difficult to climb out of. Sad...but true.

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

The problem is we've dug ourselves into a 'environmental hole' that is going to be difficult to climb out of. Sad...but true.

IMO impossible to dig ourselves out of, so just learn to love technology and enjoy the life it gives us till it kills us.

Anyway, as I always say, it's the overpopulation that is going to kill us all, and no one is even trying to restrict it. Even China just gave up trying to.

Long before any of this GW or CC malarkey started becoming popular the retreating snowline in New Zealand was obvious in the 70s, but scientists then were predicting another cooling period was coming soon.