Meechai defends appointment of daughter to NCPO-related post

webfact

Meechai defends appointment of daughter to NCPO-related post

By The Nation

38ca15f157830e9189f54518ab8191af.jpeg

Meechai Ruchuphan

There is nothing unusual about one’s own daughter being appointed by the National Council for Peace and Order as a personal officer to your position on the ruling body, NCPO member Meechai Ruchuphan said on Monday.

“There is no law prohibiting officers, or even politicians, from appointing their family members to positions,” he insisted. “I assure you this has no hidden benefit.”

Meechai has come under fire since his daughter, Mayura Chuangchote, was appointed as his deputy secretary-general by the NCPO last Wednesday, along with other 33 officers.

Following a regulation set by the NCPO themselves, Mayura will receive a monthly salary of Bt47,500, on a par with the prime minister’s deputy secretary-general.

The 79-year-old lawyer has led the drafting process for the 2017 charter and several organic laws, including the law governing criminal procedures against political office holders, which is known for its harsh punishment of corrupt politicians.

Meechai defended his position on Monday by arguing that he, a non-civil servant, was not authorised to ask other officers to take up the post of his deputy secretary-general, and that he needed therefore to ask his daughter to do so.

The NCPO-related job also requires a high degree of trust and confidentiality that his own offspring should be best fitted to provide, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30330435

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-31

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

Meechai defended his position on Monday by arguing that he, a non-civil servant, was not authorised to ask other officers to take up the post of his deputy secretary-general, and that he needed therefore to ask his daughter to do so.

The NCPO-related job also requires a high degree of trust and confidentiality that his own offspring should be best fitted to provide, he added.

We all (rightly) took a dim view off the Thaksinistas for this type of insidious corruption. Further proof that the current bunch are, at best, no better.

32 minutes ago, PatOngo said:
.....and the English lesson for today.....

nep·o·tism
noun: nepotism
  1. the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

The following lesson, "Civics" will deal with the topic of "Nepotism, and how it can be used as by the courts to oust an elected Prime Minister". Finally after break we will learn about the (Thai) "theory  of relativism", and how it is applied to selecting your staff.

Edited by JAG

1 hour ago, webfact said:

There is nothing unusual about one’s own daughter being appointed by the National Council for Peace and Order as a personal officer to your position

The point is not if it´s unusual. This is a point of moral and etics. If it´s not unusual just means that more people are breaking the rules of etic behaviour. Actually outstanding of a person in his position to make a stupid remark like that. 

You cannot employ family members. It doesn’t matter how ‘qualified’ they are or even how suited to the job they might be. You simply don’t employ family members to set good precedence and avoid any misunderstanding. Show you’re serious about cracking down on corruption and nepotism. 

It’s like sleeping with your sister - you just don’t do it. 

31 minutes ago, JAG said:

So, another 34 "officers" appointed at B47,000 a month.

Another train laden with delicious steaming gravy is ready to board on platform 2!

I bet the cars and houses that are soon to follow don't reflect the 47,000 Bt per month. "My wife/husband's family are wealthy." It's like catching your kids with their hands in the biscuit tin at suppertime when you told them not to. The excuses are just as daft.

Edited by Khun Han

There are many situations in life where the law doesn't prohibit you from

doing them, but you don't do them because it's the right thing to do,

even is you'r high and mighty and hold a commanding office or position,

set an example to all others, so you can always hold your head up

high and not have to defend yourself, it's called dignity and morality...

48 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

You cannot employ family members. It doesn’t matter how ‘qualified’ they are or even how suited to the job they might be. You simply don’t employ family members to set good precedence and avoid any misunderstanding. Show you’re serious about cracking down on corruption and nepotism. 

It’s like sleeping with your sister - you just don’t do it. 

You can't drive/ride while drunk or shoot your estranged wife/girlfriend but hey.............................guess what!

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

I am sure there was an extensive vetting and interview procedure and that Meechai's daughter simply was the only suitable candidate for that particular well paid position.

Yeah, off course! The apple don´t fall far from the tree.

I don't see that the appointment of Meechai's daughter breaches any significant principle in the context of the NCPO, and thus am bewildered by the specific negativity of many forum members in this thread.Every one of the Junta appointed stooges on the NCPO lacks legitimacy and honour and disgraces the country.Why single out one probably blameless person for opprobium.

The Junta leader Pablo Prayut brother hovers around the corridors of power, is anything new, you had Thaksin's and Yingluck  brother as CIC who according to some was fitting out his own private army and then there was the small matter of Thaksin's cousin promoted to CIC from rank of Major, which caused an uproar , say no more.............................:coffee1:

Wasn't that the same reason of "appointing someone that he can trust" got Yingluck dismissed as Prime Minister when she re-assigned a senior security officer of the National Security Council?

The irony of this all came from the Constitution Court judge when he said that the defendant has abused her position. Not same here or it is just because Meechai is correctly aligned.  

Excellent! I'll go out later and have sex with Mrs baboon's sister. When Mrs baboon gets upset about it I shall simply point out that it isn't against the law to which I am sure the reply will be 'Oh yeah... Fair enough, then...' Not.

Edited by baboon

This is old news.

Immediately after the coup many government positions changed hands. Senior soldiers and their trusted cronies were given the new vacant jobs that were created for them at the expense of the previous incumbents.

The first thing they all did was immediately employ one or more family members as secretaries and assistants etc, all on nice fat salaries. One of them even managed to give his wife several different jobs simultaneously with several salaries.

All this was reported by the press at the time but nothing has changed since then and this has continued until the present time.

If you add up all those salaries over all that time it will be a tidy sum.

Edited by Denim

18 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Wasn't that the same reason of "appointing someone that he can trust" got Yingluck dismissed as Prime Minister when she re-assigned a senior security officer of the National Security Council?

The irony of this all came from the Constitution Court judge when he said that the defendant has abused her position. Not same here or it is just because Meechai is correctly aligned.  

Just a small difference here.. there someone was sacked (abuse of power there are law governing when you can sack someone), here a new position was created. Still does not make nepotism right but comparing apples with oranges is not a good idea either.

3 minutes ago, baboon said:

Excellent! I'll go out later and have sex with Mrs baboon's sister. When Mrs baboon gets upset about it I shall simply point out that it isn't against the law to which I am sure the reply will be 'Oh yeah... Fair enough, then...' Not.

It was nice knowing you.. you always had nice posts.. you will be missed, or maybe if your lucky you will just miss part of yourself.

30 minutes ago, robblok said:

Junta nepotism, Shin nepotism its all bad and should be stopped. Though I am guilty of nepotism too as I employ the wife of my brother in my Dutch company. Though because its not funded by taxes I can do so. 

Nor are you in a position of unelected political power and the group you are part of preaching anti corruption and transparency, so it really isn't the same thing at all.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Meechai defended his position on Monday by arguing that he, a non-civil servant, was NOT AUTHORISED to ask other officers to take up the post of his deputy secretary-general, and that he NEEDED therefore to ask his daughter to do so.

The NCPO-related job also requires a high degree of TRUST and confidentiality that his own offspring should be best fitted to provide, he added.

LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE . . . That this twerp of an NCPO top-dog - a lawyer, no less - can lie as easily as he can tell the truth, makes me want to spew up, so distasteful a picture of Thai humanity does it paint. Every red word is a downright lie and he knows it and what makes matters worse, under Prayut, the most expert liar of all, he knows that he can get away with it . . . just like all the garbage that the Junta represents.