Illegal Africans in Thailand: "The more we get rid of them the more they come," say police

snoop1130

• 5 months later...
On 11/23/2017 at 11:10 PM, jimster said:

When I first read this article I was shocked. 200,000 black Africans are on overstay in Thailand? Somehow that just can't be right...I know where one can find quite a few Africans (Nana area of Sukhumwit), but according to Wikipedia there are perhaps 6000 Nigerians living in Bangkok (legally and illegally) so more than 33 times that number being illegal alone seems insane, there are probably not even that many westerners living in the whole of Thailand. Depending on where one goes in Thailand, there are easily 20 times more westerners than Africans. Similarly, there are many times more Arabs than Africans even in Nana.

So I had to read the original Thai article for the real facts. It simply says that in each year, up to 200,000 "colored people" (whatever that term means, especially as we're talking about with respect to an Asian country, i.e. Thailand) overstay their visas each year. 120,000 of these are migrant labourers from the three countries, presumably this means Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. So only 80,000 are left, from various countries.

It also says that most of the troublemakers that are coming to commit crimes are from Nigeria and Somalia, NOT that there are 80,000 illegals from these 2 countries alone. As i said, if that were the case, I would have seen them by now and as it stands, one is only guaranteed to even see any Africans in Nana and sometimes around the Ramkhamhaeng/Pattanakarn/Lad Krabang areas of eastern Bangkok, though they are far more dispersed in these areas. If there were 80,000 illegals from Somalia and Nigeria in Thailand (according to the TAT only around 11,000 people from Africa travel to Thailand every year, and many of these may be white South Africans, so probably only a couple of thousand black Africans come here yearly) one would expect Tesco Lotuses in some areas to be half full of African people, but alas this is not the case because the last time I saw a black person inside a Tesco Lotus was a little while ago (months ago). It just so happened to be somewhere in eastern Bangkok.

So while I am concerned about the large numbers of illegals mentioned here, the English translation is simply way, way off. It's completely misleading and I'm sorry for those of you who can't read Thai because what the article tries to imply is not only factually wrong, it borders on scaremongering. Sure, there's a problem with illegals in Thailand including those from Africa, but there are likely no more than a few thousand (perhaps 3000-4000) illegal Africans in Thailand out of let's say 5000-8000 that are present here in total at any one time, the vast majority of whom seem to have a liking for either Nana or the eastern suburbs of Bangkok (for some reason).

I lived in Samut Prakan for a year back in 2016 there were plenty of them around .  Always on the hustle...

• Like 1

On 11/25/2017 at 3:20 AM, Winky Wilson said:

Africans have absolutely absolutely nothing to lose overstaying their visa. Their happy taking a cell in the local prison.

And they are  quite useful for sharing a cell with sex offenders

25 minutes ago, joeyg said:

That's an opinion.  Why not put your money where your mouth is and sponsor a few of them?

And why would  you think I would want to do that.? Sponsor them to work for me on my retirement visa???   Fear of death does not stop people murdering in states with capital punishment.  Most criminals do not consider the cosequences of being caught.  Otherwise no one would murder in Texas or carry drugs in Malaysia, Singapore or Indonesia. Stupid criminals commit crimes on the basis that they will not get caught.

Edited by The Deerhunter

22 minutes ago, taipan1949 said:

I have not heard of anybody spray painting anybody's car in Singapore since they canned the American and Chinese guys???

I have never heard of spray painting cars to be a serious problem crime in Singapore.  Never even heard of the one incident so by your view it makes it successful.  P.S.  Do you mean caning or canning?  The NZ guy and his mother who were caned on Singapore for drug running went straight home and straight back into drugs, using and selling after being imprisoned for years in Singapore away from drugs.  I imagine drugs in prisons in Singapre would not be a problem with everyone so scared of being caned.

27 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

With bribes to the Thai Police !!:whistling:

With no passport whatsoever ? ^__^

Surely not through the airport... you mean at land crossings? And if so which ones? Pretty much impossible to travel to Thailand from Africa by land without crossing war zones / inhospitable terrain. 

11 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

With no passport whatsoever ? ^__^

Surely not through the airport... you mean at land crossings? And if so which ones? Pretty much impossible to travel to Thailand from Africa by land without crossing war zones / inhospitable terrain. 

Im sure that they once had passports, its just that they do not have them now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

And why would  you think I would want to do that.? Sponsor them to work for me on my retirement visa???   Fear of death does not stop people murdering in states with capital punishment.  Most criminals do not consider the cosequences of being caught.  Otherwise no one would murder in Texas or carry drugs in Malaysia, Singapore or Indonesia. Stupid criminals commit crimes on the basis that they will not get caught.

"Most criminals do not consider the cosequences of being caught.  "  you can't be serious.  usually elaborate planning goes into not getting caught.  Of course the world is full of idiots.

2 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

If a country has a problem with people from another country then shut down the Visa issuing offices there, simple. Trump got it right, ban all muslims to America.

Yep.  had the good fortune to meet him personally in the early 80's in NYC.  My family was doing some of the work on Trump Towers.  First impression was good.  A regular new Yorker.  Unfortunately I believe he has been compromised and his family threatened.

44 minutes ago, joeyg said:

"Most criminals do not consider the cosequences of being caught.  "  you can't be serious.  usually elaborate planning goes into not getting caught.  Of course the world is full of idiots.

And the criminal world is even more full of idiots than our non-criminal world.  Like the idiot who wrote a stick up note on a personalised deposit slip.  The are a few smart ones but lots more dummies.

I see this story has brought out the swivel-eyed lunatics on TV.

Guaranteed hyperbole and anecdotal 'evidence' from the bar stool experts, who have no concept or grasp of the realities of asylum seekers and 'illegals' or why they have fled their homelands in the first place. 

But hey, a chance for them to have a circle jerk of stupidity and ignorance, while the BiB get a bigger budget and chances for more exploitation without actually solving anything, so they are all happy.