"We gave them lovely umbrellas - they can charge what they like!", official tells Pattaya beach vendors

webfact

"We gave them lovely umbrellas - they can charge what they like!", official tells Pattaya beach vendors

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

An official representing the Pattaya administration has dismissed criticism about the new set up and equipment on Pattaya's beaches.

And after many operators doubled their prices he said that is up to them - the state won't meddle in that.

Phaphornan Leuangphanuwat came out with a lot of sound bites in an interview with Manager:

Among them were "beautification of the beach", "service to tourists", "international standard", "conformity", "image" "pleasing to the eye" and "in line with EEC".

But when pressed on reports that tourists had been falling out of the new chairs and getting roasted in the hot sun he ignored the question saying the operators had got the stuff for free.

And when asked about prices with reporters saying that operators had hiked prices up from 40 baht to 60 or even 100 baht in some cases he said:

"It is not the state's job to fix prices - that is up to the operators. They can adjust prices due to market forces as necessary".

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-03

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, ezflip said:

And then they wonder why no customers come. Typical.

I see customers on the pic above,

and I saw many customers when walking along the beach yesterday afternoon.

Why asking for 40 baht when many tourists are ready to pay 100 ?

As I understand it, prices will vary. If you are a regular customer expect no change from current pricing. If you look to be fresh off the plane you may be charged 100. Thais in large groups will pay the same as they do now and I doubt that is 40 Baht. Ever heard of dual pricing?

This is backtracking from the City Council, who previously instructed operators to charge everyone 100. Feedback from their customers told operators that this price would deter people from coming to the beach.

The authorities in Thailand always seem to be complicit whenever there are issues such as this which inevitably grow and other issues branch off. 

In this case, they are supporting the entitlement of the beach vendors who will fight, swindle and intimidate customers in their attempts to profit - In this case they will now feel they can charge what they like with impunity, actually in full support of the authorities, their sense of entitlement will turn into indignation as the public become upset with them and their overcharging.... there will be fights, there will be some violence and bad publicity...  and all because the authorities have no foresight and are too lazy to implement controls protecting the tourists.

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In this case, they are supporting the entitlement of the beach vendors who will fight, swindle and intimidate customers in their attempts to profit - In this case they will now feel they can charge what they like with impunity,  //

No idea what you are talking about! There has never been a fixed rate for chairs on Pattaya beach. From what I know price was varying from 40 to 80, or maybe even 100 baht already. Why would that cause a problem from now?

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Just price yourself right out of business.  Typical Thai business model.

It's called the marketplace. If people are willing to pay 100 baht then that is what vendors will charge. If they don't get enough customers then they will drop prices.

Phaphornan Leuangphanuwat was quite in saying that the market will decide.

"It is not the state's job to fix prices - that is up to the operators. They can adjust prices due to market forces as necessary"

Need to tell those ministries that are so often "checking prices" of basic food items (supply and demand be damned), government subsidized food stalls that undercut locals who actually have to make a living, tweaking rubber, rice prices (see Ying Luck about that).

31 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Since most hotels - even cheap ones - have pools, why bother to pay to sit on a refuse littered beach and watch the turds float by ? Better - and cheaper - to stay by the pool. remember that 100 baht a day would be better spent on a decent gog-go girl at the end of the holiday !

An appropriately indecent gog-go girl might be worth an even longer holiday.  555

37 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Since most hotels - even cheap ones - have pools, why bother to pay to sit on a refuse littered beach and watch the turds float by ? Better - and cheaper - to stay by the pool. remember that 100 baht a day would be better spent on a decent gog-go girl at the end of the holiday !

'... watch the turds float by ...' That's no way to refer to the operators. 

let the operators charge what they like " up to them " which i agree with

if you dont like it .....do not come !!

or maybe go buy yourself a nice beach towel its simple ...yes ? 

BTW  i much prefer the layout on hau hin beach where you get an upright chair at a table , can order food etc and even some music being played in  the background.   for far nicer than anything i seen on pattaya beach

38 minutes ago, selavy59 said:

It's called the marketplace. If people are willing to pay 100 baht then that is what vendors will charge. If they don't get enough customers then they will drop prices.

Phaphornan Leuangphanuwat was quite in saying that the market will decide.

You must have arrived today. If there are no customers at 100 baht the price will increase to 150. This is how many Thai businesses work lol. Do any long timers agree with my post? 

I think the logic is something like " I must make up for bad business so price goes up today" 

Edited by alex8912

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Just price yourself right out of business.  Typical Thai business model.

Not quite.

Many farangs will pay it. Just not Thais.

Just like the amount many farangs pay their Thai partner to live with them. Way more than any Thai would pay. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

And when asked about prices with reporters saying that operators had hiked prices up from 40 baht to 60 or even 100 baht in some cases he said:

"It is not the state's job to fix prices - that is up to the operators. ...

I may be mistaken and the junta may have changed things but I recall quite recently that there is a government-controlled, mandatory maximum price for set, standard-sized plates of food that covered most of the pad grapao's and moo namthok's, etc., that were most commonly ordered. I think it was applicable to the street stalls and places where the bulk of Thai workers buy their breakfast and lunches at and restaurants had more leeway on what they charged. Maybe since the junta has shut down (most) street stalls, this maximum price rule no longer applies?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

...They can adjust prices due to market forces as necessary".

Even to the "market forces" that don't exist?

Edited by NanLaew

I was in Koh Chang and paid for a few chairs and me and the misses sat and ate and paid for everything accordingly and I noticed several of the people sitting near us were enjoying a free shower stationed right behind the chairs. I went to rinse off and some little Thai ran up and asked me for 40 baht. I asked what about all the other people I saw showering for free. I was told they paid some "package" fee giving them shower access. Confronted by that bullshit I politely offered the 40 baht fee which was tucked behind the fingernail on my right hand middle finger. 

23 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

He's absolutely right. Price is a matter for supply and demand. It's not the government's business to set prices.

The government supplied the equipment (facilities) and as such should be accountable for this, in more ways than one

scenario... user falls out of chair because it’s unfit for purpose ( due to small load bearing area???... I don’t know, but this is already being reported)... who is responsible?

flip side... the facilities are given freely, yet vendors are charging more. That doesn’t sound fair and equitable at all

if the government wish’s to interfere, which they have done by removing the old etc etc etc... then the government must accept responsibility for their mandated new

that said... 100 baht... lol... this is not much of a cost, certainly not when given other rip offs left to run rampant

footnote.... if not mandated, the pricing should be gazzetted ( which should be mandated)... this way “market forces” are regulated in a fair manner

Edited by farcanell

4 hours ago, webfact said:

It is not the state's job to fix prices

That may be the case, but it's most certainly not the State's job to give free umbrellas to commercial ventures (unless there are backhanders to be received in the purchase of the umbrellas).

53 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

You must have arrived today. If there are no customers at 100 baht the price will increase to 150. This is how many Thai businesses work lol. Do any long timers agree with my post? 

I think the logic is something like " I must make up for bad business so price goes up today" 

So true. Thai money logic at work. Instead of a line of customers waiting for 40 baht chairs all day they would rather charge one sucker 500 and then hit the hammock for the rest off the day ignoring the fact the could make 1000's at the lower rate with a steady daily flow.  The massage shop next to the wife's salon is for sale. The owner paid 200000 for it 2 years ago.  She made her money back plus interest so if she walked away it would be no loss. I told her I would give her 50000 to walk away just so I could fire the staff as they just look ratty and sleep in front all day. She said I was crazy.  Hmm that's the same thing the last Thai said when I bought the salon. I told her "you are losing money I'll give you 50000 to walk away. NO WAY! she said. 2 months later she walked away with nothing and I took it over from the landlord free. These people got zero money smarts. Offer them a life preserver on a sinking ship and they get insulted and ask for two. OK drown then. 

Edited by csabo

At least they have good beach recliner /loungers now..  10 times better than the uncomfortable canvas chairs they had !!!

So they should be charging 10 times as much, 40 B up to 400 B  now...

100 B is nothing, they been charging that in Patong for years..      stop the moaning !!!