Being Ignored - Do you say anything?

Neeranam

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I guess that's the only area, southern Learn, the Thais speak it.

They all probably understand Thai too.

Not much of my Thai they don't :smile: and they trill some words here too, can't really see me picking that up.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Do you really think ALL Thais have no common sense??

I would say in my experience the lack of common sense (and logic) is much nearer to 100% than stupidity.

Depends on how you define "stupidity" I suppose.

Is parking on a zebra crossing stupid if it's not illegal? Is marking two zebra crossings on the road less then 30 yards apart logical? Or is completely blocking a shop entrance/exit with intertwined scooters a lack of common sense?

There are intelligent people that are excellent surgeons, architects etc etc, but seem to lack a bit of common sense and logic.

:unsure:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

Has anyone noticed that often you will find you can simply ask for a beer/meal and the order is repeated the other way round. Then at the next place reverse the words again as they were repeated and have the person repeat the order as you first said it?

It's a game, a bit like puns.

Down south, where I spent my first year or so, I only had trouble with northerners understanding my primitive Thai back then.

In Bangkok you never know if they will understand or not, or simply go blank. The more educated (not the 7eleven trainees etc) usually want to practice their English, including some more accomplished mini market and pharmacy employees.

If you get what you order at the correct price it is just a bit of Thai fun.

Being ignored is rude, and they know it.

Very rare for me anyway.

I will sign off this topic by saying you do meet the "know it all" too. One ex-hooker that married a German I knew thought she knew more about English grammar and pronunciation than I do.

Sad arrogant bitch spoke Tinglish and couldn't write a sentence to save her life.

:drunk:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Has anyone noticed that often you will find you can simply ask for a beer/meal and the order is repeated the other way round. Then at the next place reverse the words again as they were repeated and have the person repeat the order as you first said it?

Can you give an example. Can't say I've noticed this.

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

If you get what you order at the correct price it is just a bit of Thai fun.

I don't have any problems getting the correct price. If someone tried to overcharge me, it certainly wouldn't be fun.

Where do you not get the correct price?

15 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Your written English is good. The only mistake I've seen is since instead of for.

Great that you made the effort to learn English and can converse with your wife about any topic.

If married to a Thai it's essential to learn Thai, IMHO, if you want to understand her culture.

What culture?   Even Google has a problem defining Thai culture. Maybe it is Thai culture to try and  make any foreigner trying to speak their language look stupid 

7 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I will sign off this topic by saying you do meet the "know it all" too. One ex-hooker that married a German I knew thought she knew more about English grammar and pronunciation than I do.

Sad arrogant bitch spoke Tinglish and couldn't write a sentence to save her life.

:drunk:

Interesting you mention Hookers / Bar Girls. Now i would say 100 percent of them can understand my very basic and  average Thai !  So why can't waitresses / shop assistants?  So Hookers are the only ones who are not shy, not stupid, not embarrassed, not (like a rabbit in the headlights) !!   Seems to me the much 'maligned'; hookers are the only ones who are polite and have  some courtesy.

Edited by Gruff

18 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Interesting you mention Hookers / Bar Girls. Now i would say 100 percent of them can understand my very basic and  average Thai !  So why can't waitresses / shop assistants?  So Hookers are the only ones who are not shy, not stupid, not embarrassed, not (like a rabbit in the headlights) !!   Seems to me the much 'maligned'; hookers are the only ones who are polite and have  some courtesy.

Oh dear, a sexpat coming in to tell us Thailand has no culture. 

37 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Why persevere?  Persevere still to be greeted with ignorance ?

If you want to live a life in Thailand, it's essential to speak the language. Not that hard to understand is it? Do you want to spend the next 20 years with a bar-girl in tow to translate. 

I wonder how she'd do, with her translation of legal terms when stating a company etc, or even getting your car fixed or building a house.

Some come here, are racist, abuse the woman. Some come here, respect the culture, start a business and family.

28 minutes ago, Gruff said:

So Hookers are the only ones who are not shy, not stupid, not embarrassed, not (like a rabbit in the headlights) !!   Seems to me the much 'maligned'; hookers are the only ones who are polite and have  some courtesy.

Of course prostitutes are not shy, they're shagging fat old perverts for Christs sake, pretending they understand their non-existent Thai and trying not to throw up at the same time.

Polite, my arse. 

7 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

If you want to live a life in Thailand, it's essential to speak the language. Not that hard to understand is it? Do you want to spend the next 20 years with a bar-girl in tow to translate. 

I wonder how she'd do, with her translation of legal terms when stating a company etc, or even getting your car fixed or building a house.

Some come here, are racist, abuse the woman. Some come here, respect the culture, start a business and family.

Load of tosh....eyes.gif.1c6671599a5e8724c8b27956bbbbfbd7.gif

11 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

If you want to live a life in Thailand, it's essential to speak the language.

It's not essential to speak the language fluently. It does help if you can communicate in Thai.

My GF helps out when doing the more complex stuff such as renewing the car registration. My car mechanic speaks excellent English.

I'm never going to be at the stage of holding an extended conversation in Thai. However, at my stage of life I don't feel the need to.

21 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Of course prostitutes are not shy, they're shagging fat old perverts for Christs sake, pretending they understand their non-existent Thai and trying not to throw up at the same time.

Polite, my arse. 

Oh dear dear you are so 'shallow minded' and trying to be offensive as well.

25 minutes ago, transam said:

Load of tosh....eyes.gif.1c6671599a5e8724c8b27956bbbbfbd7.gif

Yes it is and so many Thai speakers on here (whatever their level) have said that they will very often use English instead. If you are living in a Town and a touristy / expat environment the benefits beyond knowing a few basics are not necessary. I will not be building a house, i don't have a car, i don't work. Of course it is nice to know the language and i was enjoying learnng until faced with Thai reaction to my attempts. to communicate.

3 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Yes it is and so many Thai speakers on here (whatever their level) have said that they will very often use English instead. If you are living in a Town and a touristy / expat environment the benefits beyond knowing a few basics are not necessary. I will not be building a house, i don't have a car, i don't work. Of course it is nice to know the language and i was enjoying learnng until faced with Thai reaction to my attempts. to communicate.

Yep...I have been here many years and not speaking the lingo Thai/Lao has never stopped me from doing anything when out alone, l even have a laugh with the locals over it..Bit of fun really....But then I am not a grumpy ol' sod...I get bye with my smile and not pretending to be a farang hi-so, which many do...:stoner:

50 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Oh dear, a sexpat coming in to tell us Thailand has no culture. 

Well you maybe an expert in Thai but you do not read English well. I did not say 'No Culture',  i asked 'What culture?  Most on this forum will have come here with the desire to have a sexual relationship with a Thai girl.

33 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Well you maybe an expert in Thai but you do not read English well. I did not say 'No Culture',  i asked 'What culture?  Most on this forum will have come here with the desire to have a sexual relationship with a Thai girl.

Speak for yourself, I guess it depends on the company you keep.

3 hours ago, transam said:

Yep...I have been here many years and not speaking the lingo Thai/Lao has never stopped me from doing anything when out alone, l even have a laugh with the locals over it..Bit of fun really....But then I am not a grumpy ol' sod...I get bye with my smile and not pretending to be a farang hi-so, which many do...:stoner:

"...I get bye with my smile and not pretending to be a farang hi-so"

There you have it folks, a little insight on how to really get along with Thai people.

6 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

If you want to live a life in Thailand, it's essential to speak the language. Do you want to spend the next 20 years with a bar-girl in tow to translate. 

speak for yourself! i'm living in Thailand since 13 years, don't speak Thai, don't have a bargirl in tow to translate but manage without problems. essential to live in Thailand is having ample paper cuttings with the portrait of an important person. 

p.s. advice from a newbie is either amusing or boring. yours is :coffee1:

Almost 50 years ago I traveled to Mexico and met some similar aged Canadians. I spoke reasonable Spanish and they spoke none.

One day, one of them signed a traveler's check only to find out that the shop he was in did not accept traveler's checks. So I went with him to our hotel's front desk and in Spanish explained the situation and said he had his passport and would sign another piece of paper so you could see that it was his signature . Problem solved.

The next day we were in the lobby and were talking about where to find a nice beach near Zhijuatenejo. An older housekeeper -- who had been in the lobby the day before -- said "Just go down a few blocks and turn left". I was stunned. I said "You mean you speak English and you watched me go through that whole routine yesterday at the front desk and didn't help?"

She just smiled and said: "You were doing fine -- I didn't want to interrupt."

6 hours ago, transam said:

Agreed.  No high horse needed, just be nice and we'll all get along just fine.  I quite like the Thai attitude.

On 11/21/2017 at 3:21 AM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

What is missing, clever or dumb, rich and poor, is a complete lack of common sense and logic.

Indeed. ...Looks like the compexity of your sentence led to a logic problem.

10 hours ago, transam said:

I get bye with my smile and not pretending to be a farang hi-so, which many do...:stoner:

not to forget your beautiful voice and strong vocal chords. i was told people cry after they heard you as Zaccaria in Giuseppe Verdi's opera Nabucco. :smile: