Being Ignored - Do you say anything?

Neeranam

Also notice when going to the restaurant where people serving hand you a pen and paper to write your order, for ALL customer even Tha

Its a good reason they cant understand you is because they are from Vietnam!

They then hand the chef the papers written so no confusion over the bill and what is ordered.

Funny how many farang dont get this.

It depends on Thai language ability of the Vietnam lady, if been in Thailand a long time they can sometimes understand your Thai.

If just learning, they are tuned in to hearing Thai only from a Thai mouth. 

For all the reasons we read on this thread, it dont matter how well you speak Thai to a vietnamese learning Thai, theres not much hope they will understand a farang speaking Thai

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, tingtongtourist said:

For all the reasons we read on this thread, it dont matter how well you speak Thai to a vietnamese learning Thai, theres not much hope they will understand a farang speaking Thai

Why assume all foreigner customers in Thailand are white English speakers?

Most of the foreigners in CM appear to be Chinese.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Why assume all foreigner customers in Thailand are white English speakers?

Most of the foreigners in CM appear to be Chinese.

I dont believe i did make any mention of white farang or otherwise?

Maybe a Chinese person speaking Thai language to a Vietnamese waiter (who just learning Thai) would probably have a same result? 

Anyhow my point was to foriegner on this thread who complain the person in a shop cannot understand them speaking Thai.

Very hard to understand Thai if your Vietnamese or Burmese!

Easy enough to get caught out. Once i did ask a Thai speaking man waiter why the girl waiter cannot understand anything.

He say she Vietnamese, been here 3 weeks, cant speak Thai.

Ooops

1 hour ago, superglue said:

Alien.

Not sure that Alien is an intended insult, the only difference in Thai between the words 'alien' and 'foreigner' is a tone mark.

I suspect 'Alien' was a translation error that never got corrected.

(kon dtaang dow = person different country/star depending on tone mark over d in dow)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Just now, MaeJoMTB said:

Not sure that Alien is an intended insult, the only difference in Thai between the words 'alien' and 'foreigner' is a tone mark.

(kon dtaang dow)

It is more said in jest.

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

(kon dtaang dow = person different country/star depending on tone mark over d in dow)

Rubbish.

Alien is "khon dtang dao"(person from another land) , foeigner is "khon dtang chaat"(person from another nation)

14 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Rubbish.

Alien is "khon dtang dao"(person from another land) , foeigner is "khon dtang chaat"(person from another nation)

ด้าว = country

ดาว = star

Sorry your Thai vocab ain't that extensive, ask your pupils about humanoid aliens, intelligent non-humanoid aliens, and alien beasts. 

Or go to the cinema and watch English language movies with Thai subtitles (my preferred option), you can learn a lot from reading the subtitles while listening to the movie.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

ด้าว = country

ดาว = star

Sorry your Thai vocab ain't that extensive, ask your pupils about humanoid aliens, intelligent non-humanoid aliens, and alien beasts. 

What pupils? 

It's obvious from your past posts what kind of Thai you know and the people you learned it from.

Nobody says "khon dtang dao ดาว " for alien.  And you suspect it was a translation error -  how exactly?

7 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Nobody says "khon dtang dao ดาว " for alien.  And you suspect it was a translation error -  how exactly?

Sorry, though you said you were a teacher in another post, my bad.

Watch some sci-fi/horror movies, read the subtitles.

kondtangdow, manutdtangdow, peesat, peedip, all sorts of useful words to learn.

I'm afraid your Thai language skills aren't really comprehensive enough  for you to participate in this little discussion.

And as it's past 4pm, I'm too pissed to reply any more.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Sorry, though you said you were a teacher in another post, my bad.

Watch some sci-fi/horror movies, read the subtitles.

kondtangdow, manutdtangdow, peesat, peedip, all sorts of useful words to learn.

I'm afraid your Thai language skills aren't really comprehensive enough  for you to participate in this little discussion. 

Not only are you wrong. You know very well I said I was translator, as you asked for a copy of my WP.   

2 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Not only are you wrong. You know very well I said I was translator, as you asked for a copy of my WP.   

I certainly wouldn't employ you as a translator, your understanding of Thai is dreadful.

Who was the equally poor Thai language expert with pupils?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I certainly wouldn't employ you as a translator, your understanding of Thai is dreadful.

You are mixing up two totally different things. 

Khon dtang dao v khon dtang chaat -  the first is used for aliens in neighboring countries like Myanmar, the latter for Westerners.

Also, you're trying to be clever with the humanoid thing -  that is manut dtang dtao.

11 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

So you remember now. 

What was it you said you say to people that ignore you?

paw mung Thai or something?   The one that nobody understood and when we finally figured it out, realized that you'll only hear this from motorcycle taxi drivers or some other profession I can's say.

28 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

What pupils? 

It's obvious from your past posts what kind of Thai you know and the people you learned it from.

Thais say "manut dtang dao" for people from other planets.

55 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Thais say "manut dtang dao" for people from other planets.

Non humanoid intelligent people from other planets.

In the movie 'John Carter', the princess Dejah Thoris would be kondtaangdow, Tars Tarkis would be  manutdtaangdow.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Non humanoid intelligent people from other planets.

In the movie 'John Carter', the princess Dejah Thoris would be kondtaangdow, Tars Tarkis would be  manutdtaangdow.

Why??

I'm confused. What's a non human person?

This has descended into a Thai language contest;

First I suggest respectfully nobody should rely on "movie or TV subtitles" as a reliable translation. That is not a realistic proposition.

Staff in shops, bars and restaurants can be local foreign nationals, or just "up-country" people that understand and speak with other dialects.

The term "Farang" (with an "L" also if you care to look it up) comes from the word for French, originally meaning "white westerner", not foreigner or alien.

There are many "descriptive" words that differentiate between the visitors and tourists Thai nationals encounter, to say nothing of those immigrants that have been part of the population in general for a very long time.

Anyway, last on this from me.

Have fun Kii Nok.

:cheesy:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

On 11/14/2017 at 2:23 PM, tingtongtourist said:

Its a good reason they cant understand you is because they are from Vietnam!

When an Asian person does not understand my (lousy) Thai and I understand theirs easily  I usually find that they are hilltribe. Other foreigners speaking Thai usually stand out as non-native speakers.

4 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

This has descended into a Thai language contest;

First I suggest respectfully nobody should rely on "movie or TV subtitles" as a reliable translation. That is not a realistic proposition.

Staff in shops, bars and restaurants can be local foreign nationals, or just "up-country" people that understand and speak with other dialects.

The term "Farang" (with an "L" also if you care to look it up) comes from the word for French, originally meaning "white westerner", not foreigner or alien.

There are many "descriptive" words that differentiate between the visitors and tourists Thai nationals encounter, to say nothing of those immigrants that have been part of the population in general for a very long time.

Anyway, last on this from me.

Have fun Kii Nok.

:cheesy:

O, don't go, you're post make me laugh. I think you mean "kee ngok" btw. Big difference between "kee ngok" and "kee nok"

Farang is with a 'r'.

I guess you're getting out as you're out of your depth here.

"nobody should rely on "movie or TV subtitles" as a reliable translation" of course, well said.

I recently went to information to complain a out the so called ladies parking at Central Plaza. The Thai lady I was talking to spoke English and listened to my concerns. She then ignored me and responded to my Thai wife in Thai explaining why my wife cannot park in the ladies parking zone. I explained that they stopped my wife parking there even when she was 8 months pregnant. Once again she only responded in Thai to my wife making me even more annoyed.
Eventually the English speaking parking manager turned up and we had a civil normal two way conversation.

Sent from my ASUS_Z002 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app