Being Ignored - Do you say anything?

Neeranam

14 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

If you want to live a life in Thailand, it's essential to speak the language. Not that hard to understand is it? Do you want to spend the next 20 years with a bar-girl in tow to translate. 

I wonder how she'd do, with her translation of legal terms when stating a company etc, or even getting your car fixed or building a house.

Some come here, are racist, abuse the woman. Some come here, respect the culture, start a business and family.

Some come here, respect the culture (all parts), work in a respected, well paid job for Thai companies for many years and have a family.

Then retire.

Professor Pat you seem to think only your own experience of Thailand is worthy of merit.

If you have never been to a massage parlour, karaoke or go go bar you have missed out on some essentials of the full Thai cultural experience.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't speak much Thai but I can speak a little bit. But it aways use to crack me up when they used to speak Thai to my Ex filpino GF and I had to translate. The look on the confused member of staff was always hilarious.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I don't have any problems getting the correct price. If someone tried to overcharge me, it certainly wouldn't be fun.

Where do you not get the correct price?

If you have never been swindled with a smile or listened to the staff after you make an order then that is "up to you" (as they say in Thai).

:wai:

On 27/11/2017 at 8:06 PM, Neeranam said:

If married to a Thai it's essential to learn Thai, IMHO, if you want to understand her culture.

I married a Thai girl who speaks rural Lanna as her first language (2nd language Laos).   Why should I learn to speak her 3rd language? Do you also think she should learn my 3rd European language (Spanish) in order to understand me, or can we just agree to communicate in English? 

Edited by MaeJoMTB

On 11/4/2017 at 9:35 AM, Morch said:

Most Thais I met would applaud any foreigner for even using one word correctly. String together a whole sentence or *gasp* carry out a conversation, and you're a superstar. Maybe more so in the countryside and outside of tourist areas. 

That has been my experience both 40 years ago (out in the boondocks) and with Thais more recently in the US.  I try to stick with very basic communication or quasi-comedy.  My sis-in-law and I do a great job of bashing my wife (e gaa) at family get-togethers.  Great fun if you don't wake up dead.

On a couple visits to LOS with our two boys (who never learned Thai), I had some good conversations in Thai with merchants in local markets. One time when I lived up country, I hailed a samlor to go "to market".  The old guy was surprised, said I "spoke Loei".  Just a difference in local tones. 

I used to be able to sing the Loi Krathong song.  I still remember some of it.  And there's a kid's song about a little turtle than I mumble to myself a bit to see if someone is listening.  Things like that are ice-breakers. 

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

...If you have never been to a massage parlour, karaoke or go go bar you have missed out on some essentials of the full Thai cultural experience ...

As part of my U.S. Peace Corps training in 1977, our language teacher (Ajaan) made sure that the guys were introduced to that part of the culture.  In Khon Kaen, as I recall.  Actually it was gals wearing number buttons sitting in rows of bleachers in a brightly lit booth in a dark room.  Beat hell out of sitting in the cold in bleachers at a high school football game, and the cost was about the same.

On 11/4/2017 at 9:20 AM, Mitkof Island said:

More often than not it is younger stuck up Thai woman in their twenties that don,t understand my Thai until i insult them. ...

Are those the ones we used to refer to as having fried egg tits and a frying pan ass?

7 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

And some people think the dominant linguistic trend of American young people  known as "extreme vocal fry"  was only initiated by female University students, so.

"extreme vocal fry"?  Is that something new, not the extremely nasal, stressed voice of so many American news readers?

16 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I married a Thai girl who speaks rural Lanna as her first language (2nd language Laos).   Why should I learn to speak her 3rd language? Do you also think she should learn my 3rd European language (Spanish) in order to understand me, or can we just agree to communicate in English? 

You are hardly the norm.

On 28/11/2017 at 4:59 PM, Gruff said:

But you are married to a Thai ?

I am, what had that got to do with anything?

She's not the reason I came here.

I came here to try to beat my drug and alcohol addictions. 

Meditation and medication.?

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You are hardly the norm.

I would actually think I was the norm, as an expat married to a rural Thai woman, and their first language is almost always a village Laos or Lanna language. Of course, I'm not the norm for ThaiVisa posters who all married wealthy, white skinned virgins from hiso Bangkok families.

Slightly off topic,

Was in a bar (shock, horror) in Chiang Mai, trying to impress a young hottie bar girl with my best Central Thai, she turned to me and said (in perfect English), "Sorry, I only speak English and Akha"

Edited by MaeJoMTB

15 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I would actually think I was the norm, as an expat married to a rural Thai woman, and their first language is almost always a village Laos or Lanna language. Of course, I'm not the norm for ThaiVisa posters who all married wealthy, white skinned virgins from hiso Bangkok families.

Slightly off topic,

Was in a bar (shock, horror) in Chiang Mai, trying to impress a young hottie bar girl with my best Central Thai, she turned to me and said (in perfect English), "Sorry, I only speak English and Akha"

I think the norm is to have Thai GF's, rather than get married. Would be interesting to see the relative numbers of marrieds vs, defacto relationships, not that defacto status is recognised in Thailand.

You found a hottie bar girl in CM? That is hardly the norm.

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Slightly off topic,

Far from normal if your wife condones you going to a bar to flirt with other women, probably on the game. 

Also, not sure your motive here but I don't believe BAR GIRL IN CHIANG MAI CAN'T SPEAK THAI.

you'll be saying next it's normal to marry a bar girl lol

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Far from normal if your wife condones you going to a bar to flirt with other women, probably on the game. 

Also, not sure your motive here but I don't believe BAR GIRL IN CHIANG MAI CAN'T SPEAK THAI.

you'll be saying next it's normal to marry a bar girl lol

Yes of course it is, i know a lot of cases. 

ThaiVisa.com Forum Rule #2 states that you will not post material that " ... is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false ..."

That doesn't rule out a whopper being thrown in by some now-and-then.

Edited by JLCrab

43 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Lots of bar girls that don't speak Thai, plenty of Burmese, Lisu, Akha and Hmong working about town.

Is that a good reason not to learn Thai?

I suppose of that's where you spend most of your time, talking to low class prostitutes in pidgin English must be enlightening.

2 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I suppose of that's where you spend most of your time, talking to low class prostitutes in pidgin English must be enlightening.

Are you saying all prostitutes are low class...?

18 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I spend most of my time hiking and cycling ....... no need to talk to anyone at all out in the mountains and jungle.

Spent the last 10 days hiking in the Chinese mountains, nobody spoke English, no signs in English, no white people at all (OK, so I found one). No white people on the flights, trains or buses, no English directions.

Only spoke to one white guy (from London) who was lost in the mountains for 5 minutes in the entire time. 

Edited by MaeJoMTB

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

You missed the "Chinese'' in hiso....... Bkk families.

2 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I spend most of my time hiking and cycling ....... no need to talk to anyone at all out in the mountains and jungle.

Spent the last 10 days hiking in the Chinese mountains, nobody spoke English, no signs in English, no white people at all (OK I found 1).

Only spoke to one white guy (from London) who was lost in the mountains for 5 minutes in the entire time. 

Yes,I find it a bit tiresome when folk come on here and tell folk they should do this and that because of THEIR perception of what the rest of us should do..I reckon many don't even live here. Just spout the same ol' they are perfect crap..sad-face.gif.058078d7fb3f3f4d0c60ddbcff131494.gif