Money out of a stone?

cooked

My situation: I am 69 I need a bit more cash! I worked in the UK as a UK citizen in the 70's for about three years, I can't remember the names of most of the employers apart from the last one where I was for more than two years.

So, a simple question: seeing that I no longer have any trace of PAYE payments, is it worth going through the struggle to get my old age pension dues from Blighty? I haven't een back there since the last century.

Thanks!

Thought it was 11 - but whatever...

If you *think* you have a right to a pension, then certainly the only viable option is to get a pension forecast. For that you will need only the National Insurance number issued to you. Find the phone number for expat pension enquiries online (Newcastle, I think), call and ask for a pensions pack. They will ask you a bunch of other questions which will relate to contributions in other jurisdictions and intentions for withdrawal and so on (ie, can you delay, take lump-sums etc.). The pensions pack will contain a projection - which on 3 years will likely be zero; and options for payment of National Insurance contributions for missing years. In your case, at 69, that may have already lapsed to a period after your 65th birthday but it may be a factor.

You *can check* basically for free. I was surprised when I checked that I had enough to make it worth paying the back payments. However, if it is only 3 years contributions, then based on what you have said I think your chances of getting anything are zero to none - but you *can* ask!

4 minutes ago, helloagain said:

What a cheap charlie you are expect a pension for 3 years work. Try where you lived for most of your life. Ding dong. Tell you what........walk across europe come in via back door you will get everthing. Bet you had a dead end job if you cant remember

He is only asking a question , no need to so hostile to him

What a cheap charlie you are expect a pension for 3 years work. Try where you lived for most of your life. Ding dong. Tell you what........walk across europe come in via back door you will get everthing. Bet you had a dead end job if you cant remember

Are we feeling OK?
I was asking a question. Thanks for your helpful espouse. I was self employed, an unfortunate divorce wiped out all my savings. Not that that has anything to do with you.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
1 hour ago, helloagain said:

Uuuuuh.....the grumpy old Men are  here:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I have lived in thailand 13.5 years i get nothing here. Absolutely nothing. 

Did you pay into a pension plan? Are you a Thai citizen? The original question was from a U.K. Citizen who worked in the U.K. and it was a perfectly legit question.

No similarity to your situation it would seem.

I have lived in thailand 13.5 years i get nothing here. Absolutely nothing. 

If you paid any social security in Thailand, when you reach 55 yrs old you can get it all back plus interest. I did.

2 hours ago, helloagain said:

He is not a cheap Charlie, we have several million living here and many more of the worlds rubbish arriving everyday who have never made a single contribution to anything yet they get everything.

I am a brit who has worked and contributed for 47 years yet if I need the NHS I have to wait up-to 2 years only to be told by a foreign doctor that I will have to pay for private treatment.

Get in there "Cooked " and see if you are owed anything, you probably are not but ask anyway.

As for you " helloagain" he only asked a question, he did not ask for abuse, so apologies to him.

46 minutes ago, RBOP said:

I would expect yes you can get some sort of pension even if you only working 3 years.

I think now you have to have 10 years' contributions to get anything. My wife was in the UK for a number of years before we married and retired to Thailand. A few months ago we got a pension summary for her - she had 8 years contributions, and needed another two to ensure that she gets a basic amount (about £70 a week) in a few years time. We shelled out about £1800 to cover the two cheapest years.

20 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I think now you have to have 10 years' contributions to get anything. My wife was in the UK for a number of years before we married and retired to Thailand. A few months ago we got a pension summary for her - she had 8 years contributions, and needed another two to ensure that she gets a basic amount (about £70 a week) in a few years time. We shelled out about £1800 to cover the two cheapest years.

Sorry to hear its so strict in UK. In Canada we only need one contribution into CPP to collect. Would have thought we were similar.

2 hours ago, cooked said:

Are we feeling OK?
I was asking a question. Thanks for your helpful espouse. I was self employed, an unfortunate divorce wiped out all my savings. Not that that has anything to do with you.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A quick calculation puts your date of birth around 1948, if correct you will fall into the old pension scheme, 

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension

Whilst working and paying NIC is the obvious source of contributions , dont forget periods of unemployment can be counted if qualifying for credits at the time

Archived