Prawit refuses to confirm speculation about junta-linked party

webfact

Prawit refuses to confirm speculation about junta-linked party

By The Nation

1c726610d4f4f8fff222d48cd614f555.jpeg

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan

Amid speculation that the junta-led National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) will set up a political party to support junta chief General Prayut Chan-o-cha to become the next premier after the next election, Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan on Monday refused to issue a denial.

“Why do I have to confirm? The NCPO is not involved in politics. If it is necessary, we will set up a party, but if it’s not, we won’t. And now it isn’t necessary,” Prawit said, responding to a question about the possible formation of a party.

He added that he did not know if the junta would set up a party in the future.

Recent speculation in Thai-language media has centred on a new party to be set up by a former member of the NCPO’s working group on national reform, Maj-General Songklod Thipparat, who reportedly planned to found the new Palang Chartthai Party. Details were unclear whether the new party would support the junta in the next election.

However, Prawit said he did not know Songklod or anything about the rumoured party.

He also denied that he was the leader behind efforts to set up a party, adding that he had not made deals with anyone.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30330945

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-06

One can easily envisage them setting up a party. The only one allowed to campaign and any 'impolite' language used against them punishable by 10 years in prison. Think I'm joking? Just look at the constitution...

Lets call it the Generals and Admirals Party ( for tea totalers only). Special rates for retired military types with stiff upper lip and a penchant for marching and rallies. Special offer for submariners and anchors.

Badge swapping first Monday of the month, Government House if elected-no VAT.

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Well now, I wonder what would happen if they do set up a party, and it fails to win....

Of course, that won't happen.

Fails to win - :smile:

More chance of me being elected pope, abolishing celibacy and marrying the rice supremo!

Wonder if the hustings will be robust and well debated - :whistling:

3 hours ago, JAG said:

Well now, I wonder what would happen if they do set up a party, and it fails to win....

Of course, that won't happen.

In a fair election they probably have little chance. The country is divided (almost 50/50) between red and yellow with then both the democratic party and the army party fighting over the votes of the yellows, each getting about 25% of the votes, and the reds walking away with 50% of the votes as nobody is contesting their supremacy under the rural and northern Thais.

But what would be the point of a political party? They already control the country for at least the coming 20 years so all they risk is being humiliated at the polls. 

Why the need to deny. He is most welcome to participate in a democratic political process and not the first time a coup leader seek for election. Just make sure that he level the playing field, not use dirty tactics to intimidate, don’t use the law unfairly against your opponents and don’t force a coalition. Those bad habits may be hard to go away for him. 

7 minutes ago, Vermonter said:

I don't know any Thais who would vote for them,if they had a choice.

He will find a secured constituency that will guarantee his win. Mostly likely a strong Dem Party constituency and the incumbent MP will step aside for him with Ahbisit blessing. He will not win the election majority but with the Dem and few slimy medium size parties like BJT and CTP, they can form the government and elect him as PM. Ahbisit will be rewarded with a deputy PM position. That will be a nightmare and I hope the medium size party and a Dem Party splinter will have the numbers to form the government. Thailand under Prayut as legitimate PM is almost like Cambodia and their evil purge of their political enemies.

No surprises here... Coming closer and closer to Cambodia's style of democracy.

Elite likesssss it... And many on TV likes it too... Time to seriously think to relocate. I don't want my kids grow up in this total mess of country. I had hopes for change for many years, but they are reduced at the thinnest point right now.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The NCPO is not involved in politics.

A quick spot check might challenge this declaration:

• Chief NCPO & Prime Minister Prayut
  • Chairman NCPO Board of Consultants & Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister (replacing Gen. Udomdej Sitabutr Secretary-General NCPO) General Prawit Wongsuwan
  • NCPO Board of Consultants & Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak
  • NCPO Vice Chairman Board of Consultants & Minister of Interior Gen. Anupong Paochinda
  • NCPO Board of Consultants & Deputy Prime Minister Wisssanu Krea-ngam

"Politics" defined as:

"If it is necessary, we will set up a party, but if it’s not, we won’t."

Of course, the shorter the time allowed between the election and the lifting of the ban on political activity, the more poorly organised parties other than a NCPO party will look. and the stronger the argument will be that a NCPO is "necessary".

21 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

A quick spot check might challenge this declaration:

• Chief NCPO & Prime Minister Prayut
  • Chairman NCPO Board of Consultants & Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister (replacing Gen. Udomdej Sitabutr Secretary-General NCPO) General Prawit Wongsuwan
  • NCPO Board of Consultants & Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak
  • NCPO Vice Chairman Board of Consultants & Minister of Interior Gen. Anupong Paochinda
  • NCPO Board of Consultants & Deputy Prime Minister Wisssanu Krea-ngam

"Politics" defined as:

They are just going to argue that they are not involved in politics when they swap their hats and say 'right, we are the NCPO now.' One or two dullards might even be taken in by it...

2 hours ago, nong38 said:

Lets call it the Generals and Admirals Party ( for tea totalers only). Special rates for retired military types with stiff upper lip and a penchant for marching and rallies. Special offer for submariners and anchors.

Badge swapping first Monday of the month, Government House if elected-no VAT.

I like a 'creative' imagination.... and i think you got it.... You paint a pretty clear picture...LOL...

And I like it.............. Very fitting...............

No, no, no, no, no. This will never happen. The military will maintain power? No, no, no, no, no. The un-elected elite will be there with them controlling this country for decades to come? No, this can't be true. 

Unfortunately this will be the result of the farcical 'democratic' election. The military junta will not vanquish the position of power they are now in. The only way 'democracy' will be returned to this country is via a people's revolution which may very well be a very bloody affair indeed. I think now Rama IX has passed this country is in for a tumultuous time.

Hope I'm wrong.

I was thinking I might get the wife to set a political party, called "the me party" I would pull the strings behind to make sure things work ok.( probably wishful thinking)

Policies well first policy is beer allowed on all monk days.

2nd policy beer allowed every day between 0000 and 2355 ( 5 minuts drinking up time and toilet visit ).

Other policies under consideration. No submarines, no attack helicopters, no restrictions on beer sales in the afternoon.

No military participation in Government ( discuss with retarded military if this is ok) Sorry I meant retireded.

Farang affairs minister.

Free deck chairs on the beach on Thursdays.

Government House to be declared a National Park with no dual pricing.

Please free to propose new policies its  now time for my medication, 500ml Tiger ( taken internally plus 50ml of Sang som taken internally followed by 25ml of Bells and 2 declogen), perhaps the medication could be free?