New Bangkok Bank - Book Bank

My old bank book was full and I asked for a new book bank/bank book today, I expected the passport requirement as I’d but they advised me as my visa comes up for renewal shortly it’s good I did it now.

I asked what if I’m on a Tourist waiver next time what would happen would you close my account ? and I got a blank look.

i wondered what is the validity of a bank account with Bangkok Bank ? Passport expiration date ? 

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A bank account is valid until you close it or let it die.

It is not tied to your passport expiration date or your permit to stay,

Thanks for that information - the form I had to sign was all in Thai for the new book and I didn’t think to take a photo.

We are leaving Thailand and I wanted to keep this account active for some time and didn’t want any issues when I return with a visa waiver.

I should note this wasn’t at my actual branch that I received the new book it was at a much much smaller branch so perhaps they just like photocopying.

18 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

We are leaving Thailand and I wanted to keep this account active for some time and didn’t want any issues when I return with a visa waiver.

Please note regarding keeping the account active, when the account balance drops below Bt2,000 "and" there is no account owner(s) activity after 2 months (must meet both criteria) the bank will begin charging a Bt50/month account maintenance fee.  Once the account reaches zero balance it is closed.

So, if you going to be gone over a year and will not generate any owner activity like a withdrawal/transfer/deposit leave enough money in the account (i.e., at least Bt2K) to avoid triggering the two criteria.   Be sure to take in account the annual debit card(s) fee of X-amount which could pull it below Bt2K when combined with no owner activity for 12 months could trigger the Bt50/mo mx fee.  Activity such as the twice annual interest payment , annual debit card fee, etc., does not count as owner activity as that is bank-generated activity.

Also don't forget to look at the expiration date on your debit card.  If it's going to expire while you are out of Thailand and you think you may need to use it outside of Thailand get it renewed/replaced before you leave.