Verification Letter For 90 Day Non O Immigrant Visa

Could someone lead me to a bank in Chaiyaphum that will write me a letter guaranteeing funds were transfered from abroad,  We were told cannot do at 3 branches of Bangkok Bank , and 2 branches of Siam Commercial Bank in Chaiyaphum today, l have an account at both banks , they said they can only verify the amount in the bank book ,  but cannot state where it came from . We explained it is a requirement of the Thai Immigration department  We spent considerable time in each bank , slightly amused ! Thanks .

A question for @ubonjoe ...

My understanding is that the proof of money from abroad for the conversion is because there is no seasoning of the funds, and they are worried about the 24-hour loan dodge. If the funds have been in the bank continuously for 3 months, will immigration waive the proof that funds are from overseas for the conversion?

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If the funds have been in the bank continuously for 3 months, will immigration waive the proof that funds are from overseas for the conversion?

Yes they will. According to reports for doing them at Chaeng Wattana. Some offices might be more flexible.

People have had to go to a nearby embassy to get a non-o visa because they could not prove it came from abroad or that it was earned here from working. In one case it was because the person brought the money in as cash and immigration would not accept the exchange receipts

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, one baht said:

Tim, The banks mentioned, know the money ,as, been transfered from abroad , but cant write a statement confirming this,i would just like to know how to go about this as others have done .

Perhaps show this to the bank. From the immigration website in Thai. 

5.3 หลักฐานการโอนเงินสกุลต่างประเทศเข้าสู่ประเทศไทย*

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

• Like 1

If the bank does not know how to write this letter, ask them simply to print out the credit note, credit advice, credit receipt or whatever your bank calls it from their computer and sign and stamp it. I attach examples of this type of document from three banks below.

20130102 KBank credit advice pixelated.tif

BAY 20061204 credit advice - pixelated.gif

20070124 credit advice SICO - pixelated.tif

• Like 1

Incidentally, I believe you have a legal right to an official receipt for a deposit made to your bank, including for a deposit resulting from a remittance from abroad. The entry in the bank book is not an official receipt.

If the bank managers continue to give you a signed official receipt, get their names or have them write their names for you in Thai, so that you can file a report with the police.

• Like 1

I assume that the OP is doing a first-time extension filing? So Chaiyaphum Immigration insists that the money must have foreign origins?

Bit of a bugger since most chaps I know doing the seasoning stuff for extension renewals have the same money sitting in the same, immigration-specific, not for beer-and-skittles, separate Thai bank account for years and don't mess with it. A few others move money from other Thai bank accounts to the 400k/800k account to keep it funded. Would Chaiyaphum say that's not permitted and that the 400k/800k has to be freshly transferred in from wholly overseas for 2/3 months before each and every renewal? What would their response be to me who happily shows the appropriate, qualifyng 'wedge' securely lodged in a bank in another country with the Embassy letter attesting that this is the case?

Either way, Thai banks are legend for being unable to provide such esoteric documents, probably more so than disparate Immigration offices that dream them up.

Good luck with that one.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

Incidentally, I believe you have a legal right to an official receipt for a deposit made to your bank, including for a deposit resulting from a remittance from abroad. The entry in the bank book is not an official receipt.

If the bank managers continue to give you a signed official receipt, get their names or have them write their names for you in Thai, so that you can file a report with the police.

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

If the bank does not know how to write this letter, ask them simply to print out the credit note, credit advice, credit receipt or whatever your bank calls it from their computer and sign and stamp it.

These two have it right ^^ - It is a "deposit receipt" - not a "letter".  I had to get one once (not for immigration, though).  It should show origin of funds, the amount in foreign-currency, and the conversion-rate used.

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I assume that the OP is doing a first-time extension filing? So Chaiyaphum Immigration insists that the money must have foreign origins?

No - this would be the 90-Day Non-O conversion. 

The 1-year extension is the next step, and does not require funds-origin verification.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

He is not applying for an extension. He is applying for a nonimmigrant visa that will allow him to apply for the extension later. Only a visa application requires proof the funds came from abroad.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JackThompson said:

These two have it right ^^ - It is a "deposit receipt" - not a "letter".  I had to get one once (not for immigration, though).  It should show origin of funds, the amount in foreign-currency, and the conversion-rate used.

Bangkok Bank automatically gave me this official receipt when I made my first transfer from abroad.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, one baht said:

Tim, The banks mentioned, know the money ,as, been transfered from abroad , but cant write a statement confirming this,i would just like to know how to go about this as others have done .

One baht, if you want a copy of what the receipt looks like to stick under their noses, send me a PM.

Edited by Tanoshi

Thank you to everyone for your help and input, Problem now Resolved , Took the copy Maesrto  and instant success, thanks for that . Showed them the form Ubon Joe and they said no problems. It just so happens we spoke to the same lady as yesterday ,

With the same young bloke sitting at the desk next to hers, well he joined in and spoke english   today! ( He had listened to everything talked about yesterday and didnt say boo  ) and that was it over in a matter of minutes , l just sat there a like a stunned mullet with a big grin on my face.  Thanks Tanoshi for your offer also .It was Wais and Smiles allround .

• Like 2

Since I may have to do eventually the "conversion" from Tourist Visa to a Non-O; may I ask what are the requirements and documents/forms needed here?

(It is better to be prepared than be caught off guard at the last minute).

Can the embassy  affidavit be accepted  rather than the 800-K ( or it depends on the office you are dealing with... I gather from the comments that the  Bangkok Immigration office is more professional than  some of the provincial ones)?

I rather use the affidavit (which I can document if needed),  than shuffling money from place to place.

12 minutes ago, bttao said:

Since I may have to do eventually the "conversion" from Tourist Visa to a Non-O; may I ask what are the requirements and documents/forms needed here?

(It is better to be prepared than be caught off guard at the last minute).

Can the embassy  affidavit be accepted  rather than the 800-K ( or it depends on the office you are dealing with... I gather from the comments that the  Bangkok Immigration office is more professional than  some of the provincial ones)?

I rather use the affidavit (which I can document if needed),  than shuffling money from place to place.

Requirements I posted in #5. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

The income affidavit will be accepted by all offices but a few may want the consular officers signature on it verified by the department of consular affairs.

The requirements I posted are for Bangkok immigration. You cannot do it there unless you have an address for Bangkok.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The income affidavit will be accepted by all offices but a few may want the consular officers signature on it verified by the department of consular affairs.

The requirements I posted are for Bangkok immigration. You cannot do it there unless you have an address for Bangkok.

Thanks  ubonjoe.

Now at least i can navigate the maze... unless there are changes on the Thai part.

Cost rounding estimates in $:

$40 for the initial Tourist Visa + $30 outbound ticket to show Honorary Consulate and discard.

$60 for the Tourist Visa extension  to 90 days

$60 Conversion of the Tourist Visa to Non-O

$60 for the 1 year extension/renewal

For a total of $250 to start... for 1 year+90 days  or total days: 365+90=455 days

and $60 each year thereafter at the present rate.

32 minutes ago, bttao said:

Thanks  ubonjoe.

Now at least i can navigate the maze... unless there are changes on the Thai part.

Cost rounding estimates in $:

$40 for the initial Tourist Visa + $30 outbound ticket to show Honorary Consulate and discard.

$60 for the Tourist Visa extension  to 90 days

$60 Conversion of the Tourist Visa to Non-O

$60 for the 1 year extension/renewal

For a total of $250 to start... for 1 year+90 days  or total days: 365+90=455 days

and $60 each year thereafter at the present rate.

That is about right, though there is probably no reason to extend your original tourist entry if going for the conversion. Just apply for the conversion about, say, 25 days before your original 60-day entry expires. Also, you actually get a bit more than 15 months, as the conversion cancels your original entry, giving you a fresh 90-day entry before the one-year extension. With the timing I suggest, you receive a little more than 16 months. With the tourist entry extension you posit using, it would be a little over 17 months, but at an additional cost of about $60.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

... Except at Jomtien.  They tried the MFA-certification hurdle for awhile, but too many were able to do it and avoid the agent-money scheme.  So now, income-letters - even MFA certified -  are not accepted at Jomtien for Conversions.  There is no option for "income" on the "requirements list" which is handed out from the conversion-office.  That list has little resemblance to the official requirements-list from Bangkok, which you may receive at the front-desk. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

That is about right, though there is probably no reason to extend your original tourist entry if going for the conversion. Just apply for the conversion about, say, 25 days before your original 60-day entry expires. Also, you actually get a bit more than 15 months, as the conversion cancels your original entry, giving you a fresh 90-day entry before the one-year extension. With the timing I suggest, you receive a little more than 16 months. With the tourist entry extension you posit using, it would be a little over 17 months, but at an additional cost of about $60.

Thanks  Tim, that's good to know, that there is no need to extend the 60 day Tourist Visa... and the cost drops down to $190 for 17 months (less than the Non-O - $200  if applied at DC Embassy for just 365 days) :

60 days for TR visa + 90 days for Non-O Conversion visa + 365 days for Non-O Extension... for a total of 515 days (unless they cancel the remainder of the 60 days when I apply for the Non-O Conversion).

How long can you stay out of Thailand, If and when you need to go to the US or anywhere... do you buy 1 Entry for 1900 baht the day you're leaving?

Do they make you buy a Thai Health Insurance, even if you have a US BCBS which can be used overseas?

Edited by bttao

2 hours ago, bttao said:

Thanks  Tim, that's good to know, that there is no need to extend the 60 day Tourist Visa... and the cost drops down to $190 for 17 months (less than the Non-O - $200  if applied at DC Embassy for just 365 days) :

60 days for TR visa + 90 days for Non-O Conversion visa + 365 days for Non-O Extension... for a total of 515 days (unless they cancel the remainder of the 60 days when I apply for the Non-O Conversion).

How long can you stay out of Thailand, If and when you need to go to the US or anywhere... do you buy 1 Entry for 1900 baht the day you're leaving?

Do they make you buy a Thai Health Insurance, even if you have a US BCBS which can be used overseas?

As I mentioned in my last post, you will get about 35 days (applying 25 days before the tourist entry expires) + 90 (Non O conversion) + 365 days (extension) or a bit over 16 months. Although you could, in theory, apply only 15 days before the expiry of the tourist entry, (giving you another 10 days) I advise against cutting things that fine.

There are no limitations on time outside Thailand, except that you will probably want to return about 10-30 days before your extension of stay expires in order to apply for a further extension. If you expect to travel at all frequently, get a multiple entry reentry permit (which costs 3,800 baht). Alternatively, you can buy a single entry reentry permit before each trip, which allows you to leave and return to Thailand one time without disturbing your extension of stay, at a cost of 1,000 baht. You can either apply for a re-entry permit in advance at the same immigration office that issued your extension, or (if leaving by air) at the airport on the day of your departure.

There are (currently) no requirements for purchase of health insurance.

11 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Except at Jomtien.  They tried the MFA-certification hurdle for awhile, but too many were able to do it and avoid the agent-money scheme.  So now, income-letters - even MFA certified -  are not accepted at Jomtien for Conversions.  There is no option for "income" on the "requirements list" which is handed out from the conversion-office. 

Yours is the only report of that happening. When were you told that.

3 minutes ago, bttao said:

Is this  acceptable as a reason for TM.86 Conversion  application?

"I Wish to apply for a non-immigrant visa

to permit me to apply for an extension to stay in the Kingdom, for Retirement."

thanks for the help everybody.

That would be accepted. Or ever shorter you could could write "apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement".

On 11/11/2017 at 7:53 AM, ubonjoe said:

Yours is the only report of that happening. When were you told that.

Without being too specific, it was a few months ago - less than 6 and more than 2.  I had heard others report about the "need MFA stamp" on income-letter, so I got it before going to request the conversion.  When I handed over the doc-stack, the official-list I had received at the front desk (on top of the stack) was waived away, and a new "made-up / phony" list was handed to me.

This phony list had no official document number, and nothing listed regarding income as a means of qualifying for a conversion.  I tried offering the MFA-certified income-doc with, "I thought I could use income to qualify..."  Reply: "No, we don't accept this..." - though noticed the IO checked the MFA stamp on the back, first - likely intending to deny me on that technicality, if I hadn't had it.  "I can show the income with a bank book..." (pulling it from my bag) - nope.  I didn't press the point, and the IO began talking of seasoned money - yet another blatant lie proffered to my face - since conversions allow time for seasoning. 

Thanks other's reports of similar shenanigans, I did not argue the points and left - disgusted, but not surprised.  Hopefully, not calling them out on this (fill in the blank, what you'd call it - and the reasons why it is being done), means I can still use other desks/services in that office.

• Sad 1

On 11/10/2017 at 5:00 AM, ubonjoe said:

#6 - A guarantee letter from the local or overseas Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the Applicant not less than Baht 65,000 per month (together with reference documents showing the source of said monthly pension)

So, it also requires providing documents showing the sources: such as a letter, pay stubs, bank statements   may be?...

Yes, but it is not called a "guarantee letter". If the applicant is employed in Thailand it can, of course, be a local income with the corresponding evidence, but he would not have to apply for a non-O visa at an immigration office because he would already have one, or an extension of stay based on a non-O visa, without which he would not have been able to get his work permit.

6 hours ago, bttao said:

So, it also requires providing documents showing the sources: such as a letter, pay stubs, bank statements   may be?...

What they put parenthesis does not mean they will ask for it. Perhaps a suggestion  that you should have it if needed. I don't recalll any reports of immigration asking for it.