PM Prayut slammed for six questions

webfact

PM slammed for six questions

By WASAMON AUDJARINT, 
SAKDA SAMERPHOP 
THE NATION

b11cddcdce4a6638a98076f67a27606d.jpeg

POLITICIANS AND ACADEMICS SAY ‘DANGEROUS’ MOVE INDICATES NCPO’S INTENTION TO CLING TO POWER AND LEGITIMISE UNDEMOCRATIC RULE

PRIME MINISTER GENERAL Prayut Chan-o-cha’s latest efforts to survey people’s thoughts on politics with six controversial questions appeared to be an attempt not only to set a political agenda but also to legitimise the junta’s rule despite it being undemocratic, politicians and academics have concluded.

The comments came one day after the prime minister refused to rule out the possibility of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) setting up a military-backed party to contest the next elections.

Prayut abruptly came up with the six questions himself when he was attending a meeting yesterday morning at Government House and then made additional comments on the release of the questions a few hours later.

The new tack came shortly after the NCPO was criticised for maintaining the political ban although the political party bill has been implemented and the mourning period for the late King Rama IX has ended.

The questions are Prayut’s second “survey” after the first earlier this year. The previous questions, which required respondents to answer in person at Damrongdhamma centres, elicited about 1 million responses. 

However, the government has not released a report on the outcome of the survey.

The earlier four questions were viewed as leading respondents to disapprove of politicians and cast doubt on Thailand’s democratic system. The six new questions follow a similar pattern – but with a stronger tone. 

ce38fc49fd4c637e73574c52edf49fd5.jpg

In one question, Prayut asks if he or the junta has the right to support any party they chose, while another elaborated on the junta government’s performance over three years before asking people if they see a better future as a result.

da387a19529fccb5a1edd9e05d8d567c.jpg

Abhisit Vejjajiva

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said he viewed Prayut’s questions, which constituted a non-scientific survey, as instigating conflict for no purpose.

“Constitutional mechanisms to create good governance have been ongoing, so there is no need to pose such questions,” Abhisit said in a radio interview on FM 101. “This will only create more confrontation.”

Rather, the former prime minister said, Prayut should ask the public about the junta’s objective performance, especially regarding the declining economy, rather than pose political questions.

Abhisit also warned that if the NCPO uses its overwhelming power to support any party, it could constitute an abuse of power leading to a severe violation of good governance and democratic principles.

e9ba5856b04cc66cfe90e0061b4f7c49.jpg

Watana Muangsook

Key Pheu Thai Party figure Watana Muangsook said he believed that Prayut, who seized power in the 2014 coup, had no right to ask such questions to the public at all.

“He still casts doubts on politicians, although political mechanisms should have been ready by now,” Watana said. “We would like to move to be prepare for the election, not clash with anyone. How could we create any insecurity as claimed by Prayut?”

Independent political academic Trakoon Meechai said he believed the questions were asked based on an underestimation of the potential public backlash, particularly given speculation that the junta wanted to cling to power after the election. 

The questions were leading, seeking answers legitimising the junta and discrediting politicians, Trakoon said.

Ultimately, the questions were asking if it is okay for the junta to maintain a lingering political influence by backing a political party.

“This method of ensuring one’s own legitimacy may differentiate any emerging party submitted by the NCPO from those parties backed by the military in the past,” Trakoon said. “But it will be very dangerous for the junta itself to publicly show this kind of intention.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30331162

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-09

26 minutes ago, webfact said:

POLITICIANS AND ACADEMICS SAY ‘DANGEROUS’ MOVE INDICATES NCPO’S INTENTION TO CLING TO POWER AND LEGITIMISE UNDEMOCRATIC RULE

I doubt that anyone can or will argue that it isn't an attempt to open discussions about having Prayut continue in power.

However, it is by no means a sure thing that the Junta can continue, despite their hold over the military. As weakened a factor as it is, even the Junta needs a certain amount of support from the populace in order to have a chance at continuing to govern.

The next few months are going to be a key time in Thailand's development as a country. Are the Thai people going to acquiesce to being ruled without their consent? Or will the outcry from society be enough to ensure that they are given a say in their own destiny? I think either outcome is possible at this point.

In my view, the Democrat party is the key actor in this question. The Junta will need a political party vehicle to give legitimacy to their rule, and I don't believe that there is time to set one up from scratch without cheating on an epic scale (although they might try...). Short of having their own new party, the Junta will need support from one of the two main parties. Obviously the 'Reds' won't give it, so that leaves the 'Democrats'.

Here's hoping they grow a pair and say "NO!"

The newspapers are speaking out against the junta, politicians,academics are speaking out against the junta. There is a very slow but steady groundswell of discontent amongst the populace, I would think even the elites that were the mainstay of the current ptb must be reassessing their positions.

He concluded: "...I would like you, the Thai people, to help consider and then reply to me.
Power and democracy all are yours."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

OH MY GOD BUDDHA that's so hilarious.  I had no idea that Fearless Leader could also be a comedian. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Edited by Jimbo in Thailand

Good morning Steven. Yes you are sounding like a squeaky out-of-tune violin.

And yes the Nation along with other media sources are recognising there is a groundswell of discontent about the way PM Prayut is dictatorially going about structuring his rule so that he sees through his raft of 20 year plans. He is not going to let those be thrown in the rubbish bin regardless of whether they should be or not.

In any case it is now obvious he doesn't have the quality of people around him to carry through his 20 year plan objectives.

44 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Oh no .... it's the Nation putting out there BS again    :violin: ....     no wonder no one listens to their crap   ! :coffee1:

Oh really ?  Is Abhisit Vejjajiva  full crap too ?  You do not turn Thailand into Burma and expect it to flourish.  People like you have to learn to hate less and expect better things from your courts and other government institutions. 

The clear message in Prayut's eyes: 'Hell's bells . . . running a HAPPY country is more complicated than I thought. If you guys have got any good ideas as to what dumb questions to ask the dumb people, next, will you jot them down. Here's a clean piece of paper. I'll get the hang of this, one day . . . maybe.'

b11cddcdce4a6638a98076f67a27606d.jpeg&ke

If they understood the declining marginal productivity of debt in Thailand (and the rest of the world), they would be able to identify the main reason for the rising discontent.
The GDP numbers are giving a false picture of the health of the economy!

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I doubt that anyone can or will argue that it isn't an attempt to open discussions about having Prayut continue in power.

However, it is by no means a sure thing that the Junta can continue, despite their hold over the military. As weakened a factor as it is, even the Junta needs a certain amount of support from the populace in order to have a chance at continuing to govern.

The next few months are going to be a key time in Thailand's development as a country. Are the Thai people going to acquiesce to being ruled without their consent? Or will the outcry from society be enough to ensure that they are given a say in their own destiny? I think either outcome is possible at this point.

In my view, the Democrat party is the key actor in this question. The Junta will need a political party vehicle to give legitimacy to their rule, and I don't believe that there is time to set one up from scratch without cheating on an epic scale (although they might try...). Short of having their own new party, the Junta will need support from one of the two main parties. Obviously the 'Reds' won't give it, so that leaves the 'Democrats'.

Here's hoping they grow a pair and say "NO!"

"However, it is by no means a sure thing that the Junta can continue, despite their hold over the military. As weakened a factor as it is, even the Junta needs a certain amount of support from the populace in order to have a chance at continuing to govern."

Hmm, I am not sure about that. They could always double down and reintensify arrests. People might then start taking to the streets but the army have shown in the past they are perfectly prepared to kill as many as it takes to get its way. The old safety valve is closed forever and the new one - well, I had better say no more. These are dangerous, uncharted waters.

"The Junta will need a political party vehicle to give legitimacy to their rule, and I don't believe that there is time to set one up from scratch without cheating on an epic scale (although they might try...)."

You can bet your boots they will lie and cheat as they see fit, just as they always have. I think we can dismiss any 'Not even they would be brazen enough to...' notions.

7 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

No wonder no one listens to yours

I am afraid this is the world we live in today. 'Fake!' and 'Crap!' have replaced 'I don't agree and here is why...' It's all just people shouting at one another nowadays...

3 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

OH MY GOD BUDDHA that's so hilarious.  I had no idea that Fearless Leader could also be a comedian. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

and if you answer my questions wrong there is a holiday waiting for you in the attitude adjustment camp

Edited by dieseldave1951

3 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Yeah... The People will respond with the truth and he will disregard all the responses.   Big Joke!!!!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Key Pheu Thai Party figure Watana Muangsook said he believed that Prayut, who seized power in the 2014 coup, had no right to ask such questions to the public at all.

Wrong! The PM got the right to do anything he wants when the army took over. He has certainly made that clear in the past and this is just a continuation. However, I don't agree that it's the right thing to do but then that never stopped junta either.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Abhisit also warned that if the NCPO uses its overwhelming power to support any party, it could constitute an abuse of power leading to a severe violation of good governance and democratic principles.

So says the political leader who violated the 2007 Constitution and abandoned his elected position as MP. And who relied on the power of the military establishment and its surrogates to become PM. If Abhisit is warning the public about the NCPO power, it is not out of concern for good governance but only for his own interests.

As per predicted , a sniff of the top job and gee it's hard to let go , typical Military out comes at the point of a gun , till the people ( or students ) get tired and see the light , nothing will change , Prayut , just another dictator...............................................:coffee1: